Author Topic: Attempting to identify a cousin in New York 1921 - John Grey  (Read 1704 times)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to identify a cousin in New York 1921 - John Grey
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 29 March 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
There is no John Grey/Gray at 136 East 60th in the 1920 and 1922 New York City Directories.
-----
It doesn't look like there is a 136 East 60th in Brooklyn, at least not present day, according to Google maps.

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 29 March 20 22:51 BST (UK) »

1930 census 450 East 52 Street Manhattan New York

Ralph Pulitzer   52 Margaret L Pulitzer   38 Margaret Pulitzer   1

That is some fancy residence looking at it on Google Maps.
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 29 March 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
There is no John Grey/Gray at 136 East 60th in the 1920 and 1922 New York City Directories.
-----
It doesn't look like there is a 136 East 60th in Brooklyn, at least not present day, according to Google maps.

Hi oldohio - the address 136, East 60th was given on her ship manifest and staying at that address in 1921 with cousin John Grey - The ship Carmania sailed Feb 19 1921.

The address of 136, East 60th was an address where Margaret Wood was staying with a C Egan - I surmise her employer at the time.
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 April 20 15:47 BST (UK) »
COMPLETE - Many thanks to the contributors, sadly going to write this enquiry off until I can locate a John Grey in the immigration records. Best regards and stay safe. Bryn

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 22 May 20 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone - Though I have marked my enquiry as complete I thought I would let you know of an update.

Whilst researching deeper into my tree I located a marriage which I had not found before and the couple had moved to a different county.

Having dug that little bit deeper I found that John Grey's sister was also a nurse travelling to New York - Mary Wilkinson GRAY was found travelling to New York on the SS Santa Teresa via Peru arriving in NY 24th Feb 1921 to work as a nurse for a Mr HOLLOWAY - she was recorded as going to join her cousin Margaret WOOD at 136 East 60th Street.

The odd thing about the above ship's manifest was Margaret WOOD arrived in NY 28 February and on her entry she recorded joining her cousin John GRAY at the same address so a mystery as to why Mary would record joining with Margaret as she was not yet there and her brother seemingly was.

The address 136, East 60th Street is as someone suggested an agency address.

I now need to find John's landing - I now know John to have been born in Sunderland, Durham, England (My hometown) in 1869 and was last registered as a Draper's Assistant in the UK in the 1891 census.

Many thanks again and I hope everyone is staying safe. - Best regards - Bryn