Author Topic: Attempting to identify a cousin in New York 1921 - John Grey  (Read 2041 times)

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to identify a cousin in New York 1921 - John Grey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 March 20 02:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the effort so far - only bit of evidence is the address of John Grey on Margaret's arrival.

By posting the 1920 census I may have thrown in a red herring.

The only address I can confirm is the 1921 address of 136 East 60th Street, NY which is where the cousin was residing at time of arrival.

As mentioned previously Margaret Wood b May 9 1885 in Sunderland and her sister
Sarah Jane b Apr 17 1883 were regular visitors to New York and America/Canada in their role as nurses.

Their father John was a Brass Finisher in the ship building industry in Sunderland UK so their worldly travel fascinates me in as much as two girls from a north east coast town whose main industries were ship building and coal mining. For these two ladies to end up regularly travelling to New York on their own in the early 1900's is just amazing, though if there was family already there which it seems the Grey's were then perhaps it makes it less amazing.

Any information is gratefully accepted - Best regards - Bryn
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
KNAPP (Mariners) - ex of Kent moving to Seaham.
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

JONES - Seaham Harbour Great Grandfather Thomas Emrys JONES b1868

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 March 20 02:33 BST (UK) »

Holy Cross is a Catholic Cemetery, if that helps rule them out or keeps them in as relatives.

oldohio - the Wood family were indeed Catholics.
WOOD - Sunderland descendants of Thomas WOOD Master Mariner - b1805 in Stockton and Jane HORNSBY.

CLARK - Forebears - my great grandparents George Alexander CLARK (Mariner) born app 1879 Aberdeen married Sunderland 1904 to Florence Colvet BRADLEY b abt 1882 in Australia
APPLEBY - Seaham Harbour (Children of Great x 2 Uncle John (boat owner) inc. Sir Alfred Appleby moved away).

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 March 20 02:36 BST (UK) »
Their first son John was born in England. Can you find his birth?

oldohio - looked for a birth in the local area but nothing that gives a surname within the family tree I am aware of - I searched marriages of John Grey with Frances and Fanny

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 March 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
Elusive in the UK.  the son John Grey is also on find a grave died December 1953 -  26 December 1953 interment date - just a few months after his mother.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/172941350

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 March 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
Death Notice John Grey - The Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Brooklyn, New York 12 Feb 1929, Tue    Page 18

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47580310/john-s-grey-12-february-1929/

The Brooklyn Daily Eagle - 25 September 1918

GREY TURNS OVER FUNDS
In answer to the summons obtained for him by Mrs. Margaret Jasper of
162 Gates ave . In connection with the row over the receipts of a block party,
held last Thursday evening at Gates ave. and Irving pi., John S. Grey
of 39 Irving Place has turned the sum of  $77.50 over to American Red Cross Society
by order of the district attorney . The neighbour hood disputes will have an airing in
the second district municipal court on 20 September.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 March 20 14:50 BST (UK) »

Death Notice Fanny Grey -The Brooklyn Daily Eagle
Brooklyn, New York 10 Sep 1953, Thu    Page 13

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47580391/fanny-grey-10-september-1953/

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 March 20 15:24 BST (UK) »

Death Notice Marie Grey Pegullian - daughter of Mr and Mrs John S Grey.
The Standard Union Brooklyn, New York
20 Jan 1920, Tue    Page 5

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47587428/obituary-for-marie-g-peguillan/

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 March 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
Just a small snippet.

The Brooklyn Standard Union - 7 December 1922

Linen Shower for Miss Grey
Mrs Joseph Frans, of 1004 Herkimer street had linen shower at her home on Sunday night forfriend Miss Bertha Grey of 59 Irving Place who is to be married the week before Christmas . The linen gifts were as beautiful as they were numerous and donated by the following friends who were present :
Mrs Franz and the Misses Agnes and Marguerite Franz, Mrs. Joseph Franz, Mrs, Kiely, Mrs. Kenney,
Mrs. William Betz, Miss Madeline Bets, Mrs. James Dixon, Mrs. Harry Vester, Miss Bertha Albrecht, Miss Grace Johnson, Miss Alice Rout, Miss Josephine Smith, Miss Marguerite
Duffy, the Misses Irene and Ellzabeth Kelly, Mrs. John S. Grey and Miss Alice Grey.

Sandra

Offline brynjon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 March 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again Sandra. Not being familiar - and only having visited NY one on a whistle stop 3 day hop on/hop off style trip several years ago and prior to my family tree research beginning - with New York - do you know if the address given on the trip by Margaret Wood 126 East 60th Street would be a realistic address one year from the 1920 census showing Spring Place. I note Spring Place appears to be the name of an up market club these days.

I think I need to plan a visit to New York once the isolation/travel issues caused by the virus allows.

Best regards - Bryn