Author Topic: Aldershot 1941 Clear Group Picture + Question 1  (Read 1428 times)

Offline airsle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aldershot 1941 Clear Group Picture + Question 1
« on: Sunday 29 March 20 00:20 GMT (UK) »
So, I have this picture and written on the back is "Mother & Dad, best love from son Eric. aldershot 20/12/41. Group of staff duties. course 48" as far as I can make out!

Perhaps it might help some of you or might be a picture of one of your relatives!

My great grandfather is Eric Robinson, bottom row 4th from the left.

Question 1: Is there any way I can find out more information about him from this? I don't know anything about the military or researching it. I know he had a daughter (my grandmother born 1941) with Elsie Frith Barratt  and have lots of info on the Barratt side of the family. I was told Eric's mother and father were called Ethel and Christopher.. Eric died when my grandmother was fairly young, she said around 11 ish but she's not sure and I'm struggling to find the right people for his parents.

Question 2: It looks like on the other side of my family my great great grandfather was in the military - I can see my great grandmother and great great grandmother (Although no male names on the list) in the 1911 census as in  Badajos Baracks Part Area 11c, Aldershot, Surrey, England. Does anyone know anything about this or how I can search it? I don't have a name for my great great grandfather but my great great grandmother's name was Isabella Olive Harding - I assumed this was her married name but I'm not 100% sure and quite confused! Any information helps..

Thank you :)

This topic has been split into 2, here is the link to the research
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=827902.msg6919245#msg6919245

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aldershot 1941 Clear Group Picture + Question 1
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 March 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
There is nothing really to add from the military records side to Rosie's advice given on the original thread and my thought that these are RASC clerks on a training course.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline airsle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 December 20 02:56 GMT (UK) »
So, I have this picture and written on the back is "Mother & Dad, best love from son Eric. aldershot 20/12/41. Group of staff duties. course 48" as far as I can make out!

Perhaps it might help some of you or might be a picture of one of your relatives!

My great grandfather is Eric Robinson, bottom row 4th from the left.

Question 1: Is there any way I can find out more information about him from this? I don't know anything about the military or researching it. I know he had a daughter (my grandmother born 1941) with Elsie Frith Barratt  and have lots of info on the Barratt side of the family. I was told Eric's mother and father were called Ethel and Christopher.. Eric died when my grandmother was fairly young, she said around 11 ish but she's not sure and I'm struggling to find the right people for his parents.

Question 2: It looks like on the other side of my family my great great grandfather was in the military - I can see my great grandmother and great great grandmother (Although no male names on the list) in the 1911 census as in  Badajos Baracks Part Area 11c, Aldershot, Surrey, England. Does anyone know anything about this or how I can search it? I don't have a name for my great great grandfather but my great great grandmother's name was Isabella Olive Harding - I assumed this was her married name but I'm not 100% sure and quite confused! Any information helps..

Thank you :)

This topic has been split into 2, here is the link to the research
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=827902.msg6919245#msg6919245

Hi All,
I wonder if I can revive this threat - I didn't get many replies at the time and I still haven't got much further! All the information I have about Eric Robinson was that he was born January 1903 in Yorkshire West Riding and the above.. I was told his parents were called Ethel and Christopher. When I looked for his birthdate on GRO it gave a mother's maiden name as Ross ?

I can't find an Ethel Robinson with Christoper Robinson on the census, struggling to find any more information around Eric too.

I know Ethel's marriage to Christopher was September 1898 Wharfedale, Yorkshire West Riding, England - So I must have the right names..

Any help appreciated!

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 December 20 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever figure out which death was him?  Do you have an idea of area for his death?
The only Eric Robinson deaths between 1949 & 1954 (assuming your grandmother is roughly accurate) are

Deaths Jun 1949 
Robinson    Eric H    39    Halifax    2b   572   

Or

Deaths Sep 1954   
Robinson    Eric G    52    Winchester    6b   544

Looking with a year of birth as 1903 the earliest death showing is

Deaths Mar 1961 
ROBINSON    Eric L    57    Warwick    9c   1447

How do you know he was born 1903?  Why did you pick the one with MMN Ross out of all those Eric Ross’s

The 1898 marriage has Ethel as surname ROBINSON.
What does that marriage cert say?

Were your grandmothers parents married?  If so what does the marriage cert tell you?
If they didn’t, is there any identifying information on her birth certificate?
Where was your grandmother born?

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 December 20 09:42 GMT (UK) »
From Free BMD.  Isabella O Harding married  Albert V Robinson  June Q 1925 Portsmouth.
Birth. Isabella Olive Harding. Sep 1904. Isle of Wight

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 December 20 12:46 GMT (UK) »
In 1939  Albert V and Isobella O Robinson living at 475 Dorchester Road, Weymouth.

Isabella O Robinson married Horace S Briant. Dec Q 1958. Portsmouth.

Possible death. Albert V Robinson. June Q 1957 Portsmouth. Age 57

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 December 20 16:26 GMT (UK) »
According to 1939 Register, Albert V Robinson  born 1902.

Possible birth?
Albert Victor Robinson June Q 1902. Milton. Mmn Barrett.

We could do with a bit more detail - dates, names locations - to help us to help you.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 December 20 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Struggling to find Eric's marriage to Elsie Frith Barrett. The closest I can find  is Eric Robinson/ Elsie M Barratt June Q 1941. Barton, Lancashire.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 December 20 21:45 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

I think Elsie might have been married before, but if you know about the BARRETT side you might know that already.

Elsie F BARRATT    Mar Q 1922    Chapel en le Frith    7b  1287
Nicholas J LOMAS

Elsie F LOMAS    Dec Q 1940    North East Cheshire    8a    346
Eric ROBINSON

I don't think that the 1898 Wharfedale marriage is Christopher ROBINSON to Ethel ROBINSON,

http://yorkshirebmd.org.uk/marriagesearch.php

ROBINSON    Christopher    1898   Wharfe District Registered Building    Leeds   WHARFERB/19/121
CLARKE   Emily   

ROBINSON Ethel    1898   Wharfe District Registered Building   Leeds    WHARFERB/19/120
HARDAKER   James

How do you know which year Eric was born in?

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)