Author Topic: I cant focus....  (Read 3566 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I cant focus....
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 March 20 17:38 BST (UK) »
One day at a time is the answer, don’t make plans.

Wake up, say “what would I like to do today” and if possible do it.

I find it helps to ask myself “ what would I be doing today if the world was normal”

Often it is just the same thing I would do anyway.

Mike

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 March 20 17:47 BST (UK) »

I'm glad I'm not alone with this...!

I too have been finding it hard to concentrate and focus. I was also finding it very hard to sleep, and when I did had terrible dreams:-(

Solutions, of sorts, - only watching the news once a day, spending as much daylight time as possible working in the garden, weeding, tidying, etc...

Trying to allow some time for tidying paperwork, looking at my worst family history Brickwalls again!!

Reading something light and cheerful. (Suggestions please, I seem to have a lot of gloomy books:-)

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 March 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
I find I can't concentrate on family history, my main hobby. Just can't rely on myself as to whether I have found the right person or not.

My tablet, which up until recently needed charging morning and evening, gets charged once a day.

I still check my DNA matches once a day, other than that my subscriptions are wasted, to a certain extent.

In the warmer weather I have been out in the garden every morning, but today it was too cold.

I do try to keep to a routine, but family history seems to have gone out of the window.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 March 20 18:31 BST (UK) »
Romilly,  do you have a kindle.  I recently read The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson, thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt something along the way.

Or for Brain Candy as my American calls them...

Any of The Brighton Mysteries by Elly Bryant, several in the series, start at 1 and keep going  ;D ;D

Three Things About Elsie  by Joanna Cannon, funny and sad, but in a nice way.

MajorPettigrew’s Last Stand by Helen Simonson, I loved this one, a nice light read

I just gave up on an Isabelle Allende, It was just too heavy, maybe when we all come out the other side of this I’ll finish it  :-\

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 March 20 18:35 BST (UK) »
I find I can't concentrate on family history, my main hobby. Just can't rely on myself as to whether I have found the right person or not.

My tablet, which up until recently needed charging morning and evening, gets charged once a day.

I still check my DNA matches once a day, other than that my subscriptions are wasted, to a certain extent.

In the warmer weather I have been out in the garden every morning, but today it was too cold.

I do try to keep to a routine, but family history seems to have gone out of the window.

Regards Margaret

I took a couple of years out. I had just begun to get back to tidying notes, chasing the elusives and had made contact with a distant relative.  Like you I just can’t seem to concentrate long enough to do anything serious.  I’m hoping it will get better as the days go on.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 March 20 18:54 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the suggestions suey.

No, I don't have a kindle, I've always preferred books until now...

I have stacks of books here! (I read very widely:-) But everything that I've picked up recently,  - I've then discarded as too depressing...

I will have a rummage through, and see if I have any of the titles you suggest.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 March 20 19:09 BST (UK) »
For those of you who are struggling with Family History at the moment but don't want to waste their subscriptions, why not draw up a list of some of your surnames and search for Wills or Newspapers etc.  Any records you find could be saved into a 'To Be Checked' folder for perusal later if you don't feel confident about adding it to your record at present.  Reading old newspapers is always interesting even if you don't find anything relevant to your family.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 March 20 19:49 BST (UK) »
So glad I posted this one xxxxx  thank you all and it so helps to know you are not alone...

I am attempting dead rellie searching :)  finding the blighters I couldnt find before... :) bless em all... love em all.. oh dear me.. now where is John Cooke ... ha ha ha

take good care each and everyone xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Xin

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 March 20 22:29 BST (UK) »
I know exactly what you mean and find some days I feel quite positive and the next down again. Sleeping pattern can be up and down too.

We started social distancing from family and friends on the 16th March at the insistence of our daughter. So we are now 2 weeks without meeting up although we speak regularly on the phone and by email.

I do not walk very well after an accident to my ankle a number of years ago so my exercise is quite limited at the best of times. However, I am trying to get out for a short walk every day weather permitting. Unfortunately, it has not been all that good here in Edinburgh - cold and wet - so I am beginning to go stir crazy. Cannot even spend time in the garden. The clocks have now changed so I am trying to be positive and hope the weather will get better soon.

I believe we can overdose on the depressing news so am trying to switch off to it but my O/H hangs on to every word - silly old man.

Decide every evening what we will do the next day but do not beat myself up if it goes pear shaped. One day at a time is my motto from now on.

I had an email from a friend today asking for help with a WW1 Scottish Casualty so that is my challenge for tomorrow.

Keep safe everyone and remember we are only human beings so all our feelings are natural.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife