Author Topic: Martins in Fletching 1650-1710  (Read 423 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Martins in Fletching 1650-1710
« on: Monday 30 March 20 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi I am hoping someone here can help me with a puzzle.

My ancestor John Botting married Elizabeth Martin in Fletching in 1714. John was born there in 1689 and it is likely that Elizabeth was as well.

I have long suspected that my Elizabeth was christened in May 1691 and was the daughter of James and Anne Martin, however I have now come across some old notes I made which show that there was another Elizabeth christened around the same time.

Elizabeth Martin christened 23 March 1697 daughter of John and Elizabeth.

This Elizabeth would be 17 if married to John B in 1714 so it's equally possible that either Elizabeth is mine. Equally it is also possible that John Martin and James Martin were brothers although I can't find a christening for John although I do have the christening of James.

Is anyone able to check to see if either of the two Elizabeth Martins I mentioned died young or suggest any way of clarifying for certain which of them is mine?

Many Thanks
Matt

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martins in Fletching 1650-1710
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
No indication that Elizabeth was a minor in the original register.  No Elizabeth Martin burials in Fletching that might be either of them.

Elizabeth daughter of John and Elizabeth was baptised 23 March 1697/98 so in 1714 she would only have been 16.

A John Marten married Elizabeth Earle in Fletching in 1688.  James Marten married widow Ann Packham in 1690 also in Fletching.

Sadly there are a lot of people with the surname Martin/Marten in the area.

I would be inclined to pursue the 1691 Elizabeth as more likely.  A James Martin was buried in Fletching in 1724. 

Do the names of the John & Elizabeth's children help?  You may have to look at both James Marten and John Marten and their families for further clues.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Martins in Fletching 1650-1710
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 01:30 BST (UK) »
No indication that Elizabeth was a minor in the original register.  No Elizabeth Martin burials in Fletching that might be either of them.

Elizabeth daughter of John and Elizabeth was baptised 23 March 1697/98 so in 1714 she would only have been 16.

A John Marten married Elizabeth Earle in Fletching in 1688.  James Marten married widow Ann Packham in 1690 also in Fletching.

Sadly there are a lot of people with the surname Martin/Marten in the area.

I would be inclined to pursue the 1691 Elizabeth as more likely.  A James Martin was buried in Fletching in 1724. 

Do the names of the John & Elizabeth's children help?  You may have to look at both James Marten and John Marten and their families for further clues.

Nell

Hi Nell

Well the Elizabeth christened in 1691 is the one I have been pursuing as I agree she is a more likely candidate. I also have the details of James and Anne's marriage as well.

The question of the other Elizabeth only arose this week because I am having a tidy up of my notes whilst been stuck at home. I came across a list of christenings for the Earle family and could not find a link to my family tree. Also for some reason both Elizabeths were included in my list of christenings for the Martin family.

Obviously when I started researching Elizabeth I looked at both the Elizabeth christened in 1691 and the one in 1697/98 and their related families but once establishing that mine was the one christened in 1691 I must have forgotten to delete my notes on the other Elizabeth and also the Earle family.

I can now remove them to save any confusion in my notes.

Best Wishes
Matt