Author Topic: Charles/Charlie Troth  (Read 708 times)

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles/Charlie Troth
« on: Monday 30 March 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
There are several accounts online (and also a book) which mentions Charlie Troth as being the last Bromsgrove nailmaker.  His dod is given as 1956 in those stories.  I'm trying to see if he ties in with Troths in my tree but I can't find a Charles Troth who died in 1956.  Does anyone know anything about him and who could confirm his dod and that it was in Bromsgrove please?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Charles/Charlie Troth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 March 20 16:55 BST (UK) »
Could it be this one, it would fit with the pre-war register

Deaths Dec qtr 1963   
Charles TROTH    age     85   
BROMSGROVE    9D   19
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting thought and the 1939 register shows he's a nailmaker AND that he lives in York Street which I believe was in Sidemoor - more or less the centre for Bromsgrove nailmaking.  If so it seems really odd that so many publications give the wrong date of death for him (out by seven years)...

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
His probate mentions Ranold Troth and address 66 Crabtree Lane,Sidemoor, Bromsgrove.
Marriage 1905 Bromsgrove
Same page Florence Hodgkiss (also another Florence)
Also
Ranold Troth b 1905 Bromsgrove, mmn Hodgkiss.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 March 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
If so it seems really odd that so many publications give the wrong date of death for him (out by seven years)...

Maybe they are just copying each other without checking, just like online trees  ;D

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 March 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
Well yes, I've seen plenty of that.  I've even had people argue with me via Ancestry when I hold the original certs etc!

I'll see if I can work up a bit more info on this one and see how he might fit with my Troths.  I notice a slightly younger David Troth on the 1939 register (living next door) who was also a nailer.  Presumably he moved into a different trade or died prior to 1956 (or 1963).  If this is the right Charlie he will have been 85 in 1963.  I don't have a copy of the History of Nailmaking but I'll see if I can find out more to check he's the right one.  Thanks!

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 March 20 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
I cannot help with dates but I have this book:-
“Glory Gone – The story of nailing in Bromsgrove” by Bill Kings and Margaret Cooper published in 1989 by Halfshire Books and reprinted and revised in 1999.
In the book are mentioned Charlie Troth, Bromsgrove’s last nail master and nail maker, his father David and Charlie’s children, Ivy Elvins and her brother Ran (the Ranold mentioned by cath151). Ivy recounts how Ran worked for Bryants as a mechanic, later made nails with his father and then moved to the Austin Motor Company. She also told the authors that the "three cottages at the top of York Road were all occupied by different member of the Troth family - one by Harold", one by her grandparents (later by her uncle David) and the third by her parents.

Another nailer mentioned elsewhere in the book is Snappy Troth who could make six nails from one heat.

On page 125 there is a photograph of Sid Troth outside Penny Pot Cottage at the top of Rocky Lane. It was a nailer’s cottage where he was born, but his parents weren’t nail makers.

The book states that the last legible entry in William Mason nailmaster’s company’s account book was dated April 2nd 1937 - John Troth 19s 7d

HTH
Jack

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 March 20 21:22 BST (UK) »
That's fantastic, thank you for going to the trouble to copy that out.  It's obvious we have the right Charles Troth and his date of death has just been passed around wrongly; it's actually 1963.  I'm so glad that people like the author of this book manage to preserve history in this way.

I did find a Family Tree on Ancestry this evening with a few photos of Charles and one or two more copies of documents.  A few have been gathered together which I would say aren't in fact related to him, but, as said earlier, this often happens. Nevertheless, interesting information about his service in the Boer War and East Indies.

Thank you everyone!

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As you are learning the TROTHs are a huge and complicated lot.  My distant connection is through the HANDS family.  Sarah Jane TROTH married a Charles HANDS in 1885.

Incidentally, the Bromsgrove branch of Midland Ancestors has on it's website the local newspaper, The Bromsgrove Messenger.  Registration and access is free.  http://www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/cms/index.php  Useful for WW1 info and family announcements.

Also there was some discussion regarding TROTH on their small forum board.

Cheers

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland