Author Topic: Bowles Marriages  (Read 1965 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Bowles Marriages
« on: Monday 30 March 20 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I am hoping someone might be able to help me locate a couple of marriages relating the Bowles family in the West Hanney and Wantage areas of Berkshire.

First up is Edward Bowles who was married to a woman named Margery. All I know is that she died in 1620 leaving a will. Her son William [see next] died in 1642 and another son, Edward, was probably born between 1570 and 1577. I believe all of Edward's children were probably born in the 1570s or 1580s. Also Edward's father [William] died in about 1573 so I think Edward was probably born in the 1540s or 1550s and married in the 1560s or 1570s.

Second up is William Bowles [son of Edward] who was married to someone named Joan presumably before 1600. William had four children, Margery [1602], Edward [1604], William [1612] and Anne [date unknown]

The next man in question should be easier. My ancestor Edward Bowles was born in West Hanney in 1640, his father was named Edward but I don't know who his mother was. Is there any sign of any marriage for Edward [who I believe was born in 1604] in the area pre 1640 [possibly in the 1630s].

The above marriages probably all took place in the West Hanney area.

Lastly can anyone see if there is any sign of a marriage for John Bowles to Jane in the Wantage area probably in the 1740s or 1750s. John and Jane had three children: Elizabeth [1758], John [1761] and William [1772] all christened in Wantage.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions

Matt

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bowles Marriages
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
If you google "berkshire marriages phillimore" you should find links to the Phillimore transcribed marriage records for a few parishes, including Wantage and Hanney.  They are now on archive.org.

Vol 1 is Wantage and West Woodhay.
Vol 2 has Harwell, Bradfield, Sparsholt, West Hendred, Sulham, Kingston Lisle, Purley, Buscot and West Hanney.

I downloaded and saved these before they were archived -  you may still be able to do this.

Also try "parish register society" as I have Blewbury, Upton and Denchworth from those collections.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
Have you tried FreeReg?

https://www.freereg.org.uk/

A variety of surname spellings!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
If you google "berkshire marriages phillimore" you should find links to the Phillimore transcribed marriage records for a few parishes, including Wantage and Hanney.  They are now on archive.org.

Vol 2 has Harwell, Bradfield, Sparsholt, West Hendred, Sulham, Kingston Lisle, Purley, Buscot and West Hanney.

I downloaded and saved these before they were archived -  you may still be able to do this.

Also try "parish register society" as I have Blewbury, Upton and Denchworth from those collections.

Hi

Thanks for that. I had completely forgotten about that book. I'll see if it gives any leads.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
Have you tried FreeReg?

Hi

That's a good suggestion. Many Thanks.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 19:18 BST (UK) »

Just downloaded the Phillomore Berkshire Marriages but neither of these volumes had any of the marriages I was looking for. There are several Bowles marriages in them but so far I have only found those I already know of.

With regards to the "parish register society" should I just google that along with Berkshire?

Thanks again
Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 19:34 BST (UK) »
Have you tried FreeReg?

No joy here either. Can anyone suggest any other places to check for these marriages?

Matt

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 20:01 BST (UK) »
With regards to the "parish register society" should I just google that along with Berkshire?

You should be able to find the parishes I mentioned - Denchworth is in the right area,  Blewbury & Upton a bit further away but still feasible.  Might be worth searching with some other named parishes. 
These have baptisms & burials, not just marriages.
https://archive.org/details/registersofdench73denc/page/n4/mode/2up
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.