Author Topic: Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885 & South Australians 1836 -1885  (Read 1817 times)

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone would have a copy of this resource and if so, be willing to do a search for me?

The two people I am seeking are as follows;

WILLIAM FITZGERALD - I believe he arrived in SA from Ireland in 1846 on 'Canton' with wife Mary and son John.  His wife and son both died and then he remarried:

CATHERINE KELLY  - Possibly from Cork, Ireland.  Married William on 9 May 1847 at St Patricks, Adelaide.

Haven't been able to get back any further on these two other than their marriage in SA so hoping there might be a couple of extra pieces of info from the index.

I have posted previously on this couple:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=544440.msg3986917#msg3986917
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=498061.msg3552445#msg3552445
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716468.msg5601380#msg5601380
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=544435.msg4024146#msg4024146

(Apologies in advance if there is already a specific topic for this resource. Had a quick look but couldn't find anything  :)).

Thankyou!
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885 & South Australians 1836 -1885
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
On my e reader, so I cannot do live links BUT

google says ...

GenealogysaDOTorgDOTau/resources/online-database-search has Announced BISA 1836-1885 was released online there on 20 March, this year.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885 & South Australians 1836 -1885
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 23:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM,

Unfortunately you can only see the full details of each record if you become a member.  Cost is $121 for a year and I only have the two records I wish to see. Can't justify that cost at the moment!  Will contact a couple of the libraries as I'm sure they hold the records, however I may have to wait as not sure if staff are actually working onsite at the moment!

Kind regards,
Andrea

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM,

Unfortunately you can only see the full details of each record if you become a member.  Cost is $121 for a year and I only have the two records I wish to see. Can't justify that cost at the moment!  Will contact a couple of the libraries as I'm sure they hold the records, however I may have to wait as not sure if staff are actually working onsite at the moment!

Kind regards,
Andrea

Really ... keep reading as you can use the index carefully to  gather clues...  e.g. William indexed there as per BISA option in online index has NO 1846 days, only 1844.  .... and you can obtain a transcript for $17.60 as a non member... you don't need to be a member.     At least that is what I read on that site before I posted my earlier reply.  Members price for a look up seems to be $8.80.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 00:13 BST (UK) »
Does the marriage record, or their death records give information about date and place of birth, or parents?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 00:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM, my eyes mustn't be open this morning, will consider doing that!  Have just contacted the State Library of SA and requested a look up so will wait and see what they come up with first.

Hi Neale1961, unfortunately their marriage record doesn't have any of those details.  Catherine's death certificate only states she was from Ireland and I have been unable to find William's death record. They came to Victoria in approx. 1847/48 and William worked at the gold diggings for some time.

Regards,
Andrea

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 02:09 BST (UK) »
If you post the information from Catherine's death certificate this may help in looking for William. EG was he still alive? Children? etc

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 04:10 BST (UK) »
I have checked my BISA resource for your William Fitzgerald  -  unfortunately nothing listed for him.
Also checked my resource for Index and Transcriptions of Monumental Inscriptions to 1989 - MGC -  nothing listed for Catherine FITZGERALD

As the death certificate states Catherine Fitzgerald was buried in the MGC - is likely correct just means there is no headstone for her.

Sarra
add: Catherine Fitzgerald's - death notice in  The Age.http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199448583

Checked the Electoral Rolls for 1903-1912 - Sub Div - Gipps
Catherine is listed at the same address as on  the death notice for the above years.  She appears as a housekeeper - no other family members with her.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 04:39 BST (UK) »
Have you reviewed this burial record?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTH1-9PV
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)