Author Topic: Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885 & South Australians 1836 -1885  (Read 1804 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885 & South Australians 1836 -1885
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 05:45 BST (UK) »
A death notice re. above
Of consumption
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/197084873

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885 & South Australians 1836 -1885
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 06:44 BST (UK) »

A letter for Wm K FITZGERALD in 1855 at Castlemaine
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/202632495

Reply #2 this previous thread, seems to place Catherine's husband in Melbourne at this time.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php

Sue

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 07:04 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Sarra for checking your BISA source and also the other information. I did go to the MGC once to search for Catherine's grave but couldn't find anything.

Thankyou Neale1961, Sue and Judith. In answer to your questions:

William gave written permission for his daughter Bridget to marry in 1876 so that rules out the 1858 death as suggested (but thankyou!). Catherine died 1913 aged about 90 (parents unknown). On her death certificate William is listed as her husband but does not state whether dead or alive. Children listed are Bridget (age unknown). Bridget went to Hong Kong with her husband and child and I have no evidence of them returning to Australia, Thomas (dead), Ellen (dead), Michael (abt 59), Edward (abt 57). There was also another daughter Catherine who died in 1883 and another 3 sons who all died in infancy.

While William's death is an ongoing search, my focus at the moment is mainly on William and Catherine before they came to Australia. For further info on family, the links I attached should hopefully fill in the gaps but if there is any other info I may have forgotten that you think might help, please ask!   Thanks again for everyones answers, suggestions and questions, I appreciate your time in trying to help me  :)

Regards,
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 07:16 BST (UK) »
(abt 57). There was also another daughter Catherine who died in 1883 and another 3 sons who all died in infancy.

Regards,
Andrea

She seems to have died in not very happy circumstances.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8516114

ADDING
Who was the informant on Catherine's DC?
Sue

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 08:33 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Sue,

Yes I did find that about daughter Catherine....quite sad isn't it? Son Thomas also died in the Asylum so it sounds like they endured a bit of hardship.  The informant on Catherine's death certificate was Andrew Chung, my great grandfather.  He was married to Elizabeth Lee Fung, daughter of Ellen Fitzgerald (and husband Lee Fung).  I have a feeling that William may have been a bit of a wanderer. On all the electoral rolls for Catherine, it is her name alone so either William was deceased before her, or he ended up somewhere else.

There are three deaths on Vic BDMs that are a possibility, one of which I ordered but wasn't him (I don't think so anyway!):

William Fitzgerald
Birth Year: abt 1819
Death Place:Victoria
Father's Name:William
Mother's Name:Ann Basley
Registration Year:1877
Registration Place:Victoria
Registration Number:1865

Wm Fitzgerald
Death Registration Year:1890
Death Registration Place:Victoria, Australia
Reference Number:15280

William Fitzgerald
Date of Death: 24 April 1908
Place of Death: Melbourne Benevolent Asylum
Father: John Fitzgerald
Mother: Ellen Maloney
Born: Galway, Ireland
Years in Victoria: 54
Spouse: Widower, no other particulars
Children: no issue

This is the record I ordered. I did find him in either the electoral roll or Sands & McDougall directories (can't remember off hand!)and his wife wasn't Catherine so it is a possiblity he remarried but to say he had no children didn't quite fit.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
On her 1913 d.c. was  her status recorded as a widow or as a married woman...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
Re absent from electoral rolls ... until about mid 1920s, it was not compulsory to enrol.   In NSW for example, some occupations were not permitted to enrol, others  were excused if they did not enrol ...

Police, clergy, judges,  .... federally it was meant to be  compulsory for referendums ..... particularly the two during WWI on conscription.... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,
Unfortunately no mention on death certificate of her marital status...only says 'old age pensioner'.  She died of senile debility. 
Regards,
Andrea

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 April 20 02:48 BST (UK) »
Couldn't see wills for two of the three death entries.

One person is mentioned on PROV
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates
William Fitzgerald, died 25 February 1890, railway ganger, of Fish Creek, near Foster, died intestate.

The information to the Probate office was given by a police superintendent, implying that there was no-one else to do it.  He had an estate of about 42 pounds.  The only next of kin found by the police: half brother, John Fitzgerald, whereabouts unknown; half sisters: Mary Mauklin?, married woman, of age and Martha Ellen Fitzgerald, minor, both of the Globe HOtel, Tumbarumba NSW.

Doesn't look like a candidate.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk