Author Topic: Microsoft Home and Business 2019  (Read 1870 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Microsoft Home and Business 2019
« on: Tuesday 31 March 20 09:16 BST (UK) »
I have downloanded Microsoft Home and Business 2019 today. I do not like it much. It is not a complete stand alone program. One thing that seriously annoys me is that when I want to create a document I first have to sign in to One Drive with my hotmail address. Hotmail is Microsoft and I feel they are following me. They do love collecting data so much.

I do not like One Drive in the first place. I like everything on my computer backed up by my external drive. I have no use for seeing documents in other places or on other machines.

It also feels that Microsoft are looking over my shoulder with my hotmail address. Supposed to be safe but....... I really dislike it.

Is there any way I can use this program without One Drive. I would cheerfully uninstall it.

Can anyone help me please?

guest189040

Re: Microsoft Home and Business 2019
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
Google is your friend

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-OneDrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

Is there any reason why you are using Microsoft when there are free office suites available such as Libre?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 11:35 BST (UK) »
I know nothing of such matters, but last week OH downloaded Libre onto his new PC, did not like it for some reason. and it took him hours to remove it - it apparently left some little unwanted “things” behind on his computer, so it might be wise to be careful of the free programmes. Apologies for my lack of correct terminology and understanding of these matters. All I know is that a lot of cursing and time time was involved in it’s full removal.

guest189040

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
The problem with installing software is people do not read the splash screens and then end up installing bloatware.

It is not the fault of the software, the free ones have to get funding from somewhere, it is allowing the unwanted add ons like trials of Norton, McAfee or perish the thought Chrome.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 01:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Colin, tried that, but then it does not allow me to use my Home and Business 2019 at all. It just refers me to my hotmail address to sign in.

I have Libra Office and like it very much, my preferred program. Had it for years and Open Office before that. However Libra Office only converts Microsoft Office .doc files and not .docx. I have some people I cooperate with who only have Office and for many reasons can only use Office. The work we are doing is rather important, losing or corrupting documents could be a disaster.

If only everyone would use Libra Office!!

Agree with the statement that some folk do not read the splash screens!! One can finish up with all sorts, even viruses. Learned the hard way years ago!!!

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Colin, tried that, but then it does not allow me to use my Home and Business 2019 at all. It just refers me to my hotmail address to sign in.

I have Libra Office and like it very much, my preferred program. Had it for years and Open Office before that. However Libra Office only converts Microsoft Office .doc files and not .docx. I have some people I cooperate with who only have Office and for many reasons can only use Office. The work we are doing is rather important, losing or corrupting documents could be a disaster.

If only everyone would use Libra Office!!

Agree with the statement that some folk do not read the splash screens!! One can finish up with all sorts, even viruses. Learned the hard way years ago!!!

Office by default saves as .docx, but using Save As and the user can select .doc in 2007 format, that works.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 April 20 02:46 BST (UK) »
I have 2007 on my computer, one of the very early ones and that is gradually crumbling. Obviously Microsoft wants 2007 users to transfer to the modern ones. They want to make some more money from us. They certainly will if they make us all use that One Drive for we will all take up our free space and we will have to pay for more for ever and ever if we want to keep our documents. Sneaky, greedy lot. Microsoft rules the digital world for that is what they are after. I cannot think of a better way to get people to change to Libra Office, but Microsoft have got their fingers in that too. Sorry, rant over!!

Thank you, Colin, will see if my horrible Office 2019 has a way of doing that.

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 April 20 05:09 BST (UK) »
I have solved that problem - I returned Office Home and Business 2019 and got a refund. No good to me, not fit for purpose. Neither are the 365's, tried them too before that.

It has left me however with another problem. Everytime I go into a 2007 it goes into conversion mode and I have to wait. Comes up OK but annoying.

Offline confusion

• RootsChat Senior
  • I was born poor - and still have all of it
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 April 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
Pelican:
I cannot think of a better way to get people to change to Libra Office, but Microsoft have got their fingers in that too. Sorry, rant over!!

Sorry to disappoint you but m$ DO NOT have their fingers in Libre Office or even Apache OpenOffice.

Several years ago m$ were invited to join the Open Document Foundation to standardise the
office document file format between office software. To cut a long story short m$ adulterated the given source code and it became a proprietary file format (.docx/.xlsx/.pptx).

To see the differences between .odt and docx. This applies to .ods, .odp and .xlsx and .pptx.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Differences-between-the-OpenDocument-Text-odt-format-and-the-Word-docx-format-d9d51a92-56d1-4794-8b68-5efb57aebfdc

Libre Office, Apache OpenOffice and m$ are NOT clones of each other and should not
be treated as such.

If you are forced to create a .doc file, save as a .odt as usual, and create a copy as a .doc file. Be sure to select Word 97 / 2000 / XP as it is the most recent format. Word 95 and Word 6.0 .doc formats are very old and obsolete and less comprehensive than Word 97 / 2000 / XP .doc format. For example, Word 95 and Word 6.0 file format cannot store Draw objects.

If you attempt to save a document as any format other than .odt, Writer warns you that you may lose data and / or formatting as in the pop-up window below. Unfortunately, many users switch off this warning. If you do not get this warning message, you can switch it back on with Tools > Options > LoadSave > General ...

You can export the file as a .pdf which is uneditable but will retain any incompatible formatting.

Otherwise if you are exchanging many documents between each other you really need to consider
both using the same proprietary software to eliminate the differences between them.

Jim

Willey, Berry, Cox, Haddock, Hutton, Griffiths/Griffin, Tanner - Worcestershire
Cox, Dudley, Harris, Moore, Neville, Payne - Warwickshire
Chambers, Douds, Dryden, Given, Hamilton, Hassan, McPherson, McWhirter, Simpson, Taggart, Vauls, Whiteside - Ireland/Scotland, Northumberland
Challis, Halls, Heady, Grove, Lawrence - Essex
Foxwell, Imm, Ward - Gloucesteshire
Heady, Collis, Griffin - Hertfordshire
Hurling - Middlesex
Willey, Imm - Monmouthshire
Imm, Hamilton, Hedge, Majury, Sollis - Canada/USA