Author Topic: Why do people bother with DNA tests?  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people bother with DNA tests?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 13:13 BST (UK) »
When I first started work on my tree using Ancestry the hints I would often led my to trees that had errors in them, due I suspect to their owners just copying from others. I tried to contact the tree owners and offered proof so they could correct the errors and only heard back from three. I would periodically check to see if the others had been logged in and when I found they had I stopped telling people about the errors. There is a bright side though, I am still in touch with two of the owners who turned out to be 3rd cousins of mine, none of us knew the other existed.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
Perhaps situation with Coronavirus is slowing up test results. I manage 3 kits and usually get probably between 5-15 every day for each. However, the last 10 days or so we are down to a trickle-some days none and today 1 for each. I do know that over a week ago another person managing kits for themselves, mother & son have uploaded their DNA results but no sign of them yet (we know from another site all three have matches with one of my kits which may sort out where a lot of matches come from).

That's interesting, aghadowey. When you say you usually get 5-15 new matches every day, do you mean those over 20 cMs (4th-6th gen) or all told? If the former, please can I change ancestors with you?  8) I'm lucky if I get 15 a year.

It does seem as if things have slowed down at Ancestry HQ, doesn't it?

I also have half a dozen wills that have been on order from the Borthwick Institute for nearly 2 months now. I suppose they must be on shutdown too. Ditto with an order for a booklet of nonconformist baptisms from the Huddersfield FHS. Still...I've got plenty of chocolate in the cupboard, so nil desperandum!  ;)
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
jillruss The Borthwick Institute informed me on 18th Mar that they would be unable to  fulfil any orders until further notice and offered me my money back having only accepted my order the day before. The said people could following their Twitter account for updates.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
I'm not on social media! I'll just wait until they're back up and running again.

Strange they never informed me though. They'd probably already banked my money as it would have been February when I ordered the wills.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
You don't need an account just go to https://twitter.com/UoYBorthwick?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
Perhaps situation with Coronavirus is slowing up test results. I manage 3 kits and usually get probably between 5-15 every day for each. However, the last 10 days or so we are down to a trickle-some days none and today 1 for each. I do know that over a week ago another person managing kits for themselves, mother & son have uploaded their DNA results but no sign of them yet (we know from another site all three have matches with one of my kits which may sort out where a lot of matches come from).

That's interesting, aghadowey. When you say you usually get 5-15 new matches every day, do you mean those over 20 cMs (4th-6th gen) or all told? If the former, please can I change ancestors with you?  8) I'm lucky if I get 15 a year.
I was going to ask the same question. I've got 153 new 4th or closer in two years.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 18:54 BST (UK) »
Goodness can I swap kits with both of you???

To give you an idea of what chaos I'm trying to sort out-

KIT #1 (father's day present 2019)- has 7764 matches. We can positively identify relationship with FIVE (yes 5) of these people (3 brothers on maternal side who are 5th cousins and 2 siblings on paternal side who are 5th cousins once removed). However, there are numerous other matches with people we know personally (none of us clear how related). Highest DNA match is 105 cm (no response).

KIT #2 (September birthday present)- has 8155 matches. Parents were 2nd cousins once removed so we haven't even been able to sort out paternal & maternal relations. Related to KIT #1 and many matches are shared but since #1 has two lines from same surname can't pinpoint exact relationship. Highest match is 90 cm (suspect comes in through illegitimate child a few generations ago)

KIT #3 (mother's day present 2019)- has 5544 matches. Though this would be easiest since each grandparent has distinct origins (Ireland, Canada, Germany, U.S.). Highest match 255 cm (2nd cousin) and only 17 confirmed relationships although can figure out where others might be related. Quite a few matches with KIT #3 and even with Kit #2.

Now are you sure you want to swap with me  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 21:08 BST (UK) »
My highest match is 2574cM :D my sister and than two nieces and two first cousins.
What I'm finding interesting is the difference in cMs of matches between my sister and me.
I have 262 4th or closer she has 245. On one match for example she has 113cM and I have 48cM.
On my mother's side matches are generally friendly and helpful, on my father's side the complete opposite.

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 21:37 BST (UK) »
My highest match is my paternal first cousin 1st–2nd Cousin
Shared DNA: 1,009 cM across 40 segment

However my wife also had her DNA done and her highest match is her identical twins son as his mother did not have it done. DNa thinks my wife is his mother.
Parent/Child
Shared DNA: 3,417 cM across 81 segments