Author Topic: "One adult per household" in supermarkets  (Read 1695 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
"One adult per household" in supermarkets
« on: Tuesday 31 March 20 16:03 BST (UK) »
My wife and I have invisible health conditions, but do not come into any of the categories for which supermarkets have set aside priority times. Each of us, on our own, finds shopping difficult, but together we get by, and we try hard not to be a burden on other people or resources. We have therefore followed the supermarkets' advice to leave home delivery for those who can't visit their stores, and have avoided visiting the stores when particular groups are given priority.

We were considerably shocked this morning to be confronted by a supermarket employee who said they now only allowed one member of a household into their store at once, and pointed to a rather scrappy and not very official-looking notice which said the same. She said it was "government policy", which I disputed, and in the end she reluctantly let us in, but said we had to keep 2 metres apart - even though I pointed out that members of the same household were not required to do this.

We had looked at the store's website before setting out to re-check that we would be avoiding their priority times, and there was nothing about this new policy. Doing a search for the phrase/terms I have used as title to this thread brings up a number of stories which suggest it is now fairly widespread, and in more than one supermarket chain. However, there are several reports that single parents have been told they have to go in by themselves and leave young children waiting alone outside.

I can understand that they want to reduce the number of people in their store (though this morning there was no queue and the woman at the door told the customer ahead of us that it was very quiet), but can anyone suggest a way in which my wife and I would be able to continue shopping together, please. I am still very upset at the way we were treated this morning (we were made to feel like criminals), and the only options I can see are (a) further arguments at the door, (b) disclosing personal medical history to the staff and/or in front of other customers, or (c) not eating.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "One adult per household" in supermarkets
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
We had a similar experience today at Sainsburys. They said they were only letting in one person per household.  Whilst we are in our late sixties and husband has a heart condition we are quite fit so it wasn't a problem. However there must be many people who need a bit of support when shopping and this arrangement won't work for them. Looking at the various supermarket websites most talk of encouraging people to shop alone when they can . There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule and it's certainly not "government policy ". Perhaps a call to the shop manager might help  ?
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
I haven't really got any suggestions as to what to do and I can understand how you feel - since retirement my husband and I have always shopped together.

However, it is worth bearing in mind what happened in China under full lockdown. One person from a family allowed out shopping every 3 days, I think (willing to be corrected).

If people continue to flout the sprit of the latest guidance, whilst acknowledging that they are sticking to the law as it stands, the law may change soon to enforce a stricter lockdown.

We both have health problems and are over 70 (me by a mere 33 days!) and are avoiding the shops as far as possible. We were able to get a food delivery today, another one booked in 10 days time, but after that no more slots, we'll have to brave the shops. I fear that may be separately, by law, in 10 days time.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Would this be the same for Click and collect (Sainsburys), does anyone know?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
I don't know if Click and Collect is restricted but I have not seem any availability of slots in my area for weeks.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
I suppose if only one person from a couple goes into a shop, the risk is halved or perhaps more than halved.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
Can’t speak for Sainsbury’s but Tesco were enforcing it strictly today,  one out one in with barriers and several marshals.

We were told before we entered the car park, it is a limit to the number of people in the store at any one time, so unless click and collect has a separate  entrance I imagine it applies to everyone.

I very bravely volunteered to sit and read te paper in the car.

Even with the small queue to get in one person can shop for the goods twice as fast as two ;D ;D

Mike

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:11 BST (UK) »
Both Tesco and Sainsburys near me have their click & collect in separate buildings in the car park away from the main entrance to the shop and you can get your car parked almost next to them.  Tesco's is more like a drive through, I have not seen Sainsburys
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:12 BST (UK) »
I don't know if Click and Collect is restricted but I have not seem any availability of slots in my area for weeks.

I think they gave us a C&C slot because we're both in our mid-70s and there were no deliveries available.

I'll go check the help pages.

Rosie - the C &C at our local Sainsburys is in the car park
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***