Author Topic: "One adult per household" in supermarkets  (Read 1669 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "One adult per household" in supermarkets
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I get all the reasons why they're limiting the numbers going in, but it doesn't change the fact that there are some people for whom shopping alone is impossible - either because of their own health conditions or because they are the sole carer for an adult or child(ren) who cannot be left alone.

Since today there was no advance warning of the new policy, it would have helped if we'd at least been treated with some courtesy and understanding, rather than like criminals for something that we can't help.

Moreover, once inside the store, there were other customers blatantly ignoring social distancing, and the staff did nothing about it. One man persisted in coming down the centre of an aisle in the opposite direction to my wife, and when she politely asked him to move to one side, he rudely told her she should stay at home if she was that worried.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:23 BST (UK) »

I can understand that they want to reduce the number of people in their store (though this morning there was no queue and the woman at the door told the customer ahead of us that it was very quiet), but can anyone suggest a way in which my wife and I would be able to continue shopping together, please. I am still very upset at the way we were treated this morning (we were made to feel like criminals), and the only options I can see are (a) further arguments at the door, (b) disclosing personal medical history to the staff and/or in front of other customers, or (c) not eating.

Why not contact the store and seek advice especially as the staff made you feel uncomfortable. No one should be treated like that.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
Not yet actually gone shopping since before all this hoo-ha started, but will have to do so before too long. Amazing what you find in your freezer when you have a proper look. OH will drive me - that'll get him out for a bit, and means I don't have to bother - and he'll sit in the car whilst I battle round with the trolley, however long that takes. Just hope I can get most of our normal "weekly" shop, as we didn't manage to get out at all last week for one reason or another.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
Would it help you at all to split your shopping between the two of you and go in separately with your own trolley ?

I do feel for you - especially as item limits sometimes mean you can't buy enough in one visit .
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 18:36 BST (UK) »
Would it help you at all to split your shopping between the two of you and go in separately with your own trolley ?

I do feel for you - especially as item limits sometimes mean you can't buy enough in one visit .

Sounds like a good idea, but what happens when you get to the checkout.  Limiting numbers was also done to stop the multi family members each taking a trolly during the stockpiling fiasco.  I think a word with the manager is the way to go here, it must be obvious that in some cases people need assistance from their partner....but hey ho, common sense seems to have gone out the window.

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 19:00 BST (UK) »
To the OP

I think it is a good policy instituted for very good reasons as has already been mentioned.

Specifically addressing why couples can't go in where one or both have health or other issues and why can't an exception be made for them. If an exception was made people would see couples together in the store and then demand the same, some people are just like that and in the long run everyone would lose out.

The stores are doing things to help people who have difficulty shopping on their own and indeed just now I saw on the Tesco website that they have introduced sunflower lanyards for anyone who may need a little extra help. Apparently you get them from customer service, wear them when in the store and the staff then look out for you and of course you can always approach the staff whether you have a lanyard or not. I just looked on the site again and can't find it now to link to but if you shop at Tesco you could always ask next time you are in.

Anyway good luck with your next shop.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions - we could see if we can get through to the supermarket tomorrow, but some places are only dealing with emergency phone calls and emails at the moment.

Hopefully once we've recovered from the shock of the way we were treated we'll be able to think more rationally about how to manage the next shopping trip if the same policy is still in force.

Meanwhile we've realised that with all the stress this morning we overlooked getting a few vital items. The temptation is to make an extra trip to get them, but we don't intend to be pushed by this into breaching the guidelines of going as infrequently as possible. These things will just have to wait until the next planned trip.

As for the lanyards etc, we were told this morning that one of the reasons for the new policy was to protect their staff. So if one of us goes in alone and needs help, surely that puts the staff more at risk than if we were to help each other.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 19:27 BST (UK) »
I hate to say it arthurk but I suspect you are one of those people who will always find fault if they can not get their own way.

These policies are introduced to try and save lives and help us all. Alas there are always those who want to be exceptions and think the rules are for everyone else except them.

My initial post was intended to be helpful but it seems to have had the opposite effect sadly.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Have you looked into voluntary groups in your area, who will shop for you.