Author Topic: Click and collect shopping question  (Read 3820 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Click and collect shopping question
« on: Wednesday 01 April 20 12:26 BST (UK) »
I'm ok with the clicking part but not the collecting.

Tried it for the first time last week, found the collection area ok and joined a queue of cars.
2 cars at a time were backing into parking spots and their shopping was brought out.

Backed in when my turn in the queue came and showed my order confirmation but got finger wagged at me and told it "wasn't my turn" so had to drive to the back of the queue again  ???

My question is how do they know whose turn it is?

I do appreciate the system may be working differently to "normal"

If I get the chance to use the service again at the moment I would but helpful info on how not to inadvertently jump the queue would be much appreciated.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Click and collect shopping question
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 13:22 BST (UK) »
I have to say I have no idea, I can only assume the informtion is written down that you can read, digest and try to understand, eg a certain time....... and I am taking nothing away from the many that are dong the very best they can in these very difficult times, however it has also brought out the 'jobs worths' and the ' power crazies' in the society we live in.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
I go for my first one tomorrow. They have given me a one hour time slot and an order number. I'm told that someone will 'greet me' and check my order doc. No mention of queuing.

PS - details of how to do it were attached to my e-mailed receipt
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 15:30 BST (UK) »
I had a 2 hour time slot and was safely within that. 

I did look for collection instructions on the order confirmation but didn't find any.  I still have the email and have just double checked but nothing about how to collect on there.

It also said "your groceries will be packed without bags" which they weren't. 

Maybe I got the type of email they send out under normal circumstances.   

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 16:03 BST (UK) »

It also said "your groceries will be packed without bags" which they weren't. 

I think the answer to that is whilst we have the Covid19 outbreak the Government has said the Supermarkets do not have to charge for the bags (when used for the collections \ delivery orders). This enables them to have the goods ready to collect with the minimum amount of handling involved at handover all in an attempt to minimise the transference of the virus.

As to whilst they said it was not your turn I do not know. Like others I thought they gave you a time slot in which you could pick up your goods. If it happens again ask them why, it may be a fault at their end.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 16:10 BST (UK) »
I to have had to opt for C&C but since my local store does not do it I have a 40 mile round trip to get our groceries but luckily I got a one hour time slot this oming Saturday.

I have tried calling the Supermarket help line to register as being over 70 but just get recorded message.

What can the Supermarket not have a declaration on our Online Account that we are seniors which health conditions and are nt as mobile as we once were and can certainly not wait outside in a long queue.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Yes completely understand about the bags but was misinformed by the email so took my own bags in preparation. 

I wanted to get out of there and back home as fast as possible so didn't ask any questions but will see what happens next time (if I ever manage to book another one that is) 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 16:21 BST (UK) »

I had a Tesco "Click & Collect" slot on the 26th Mar which son picked up-have not managed to get another one,none before 20th April,I check every day :(

Kim

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't recommend asking questions right now.

As little interaction as possible reduces the risk of the virus. They are also busy enough too, they don't need it.

We just have to be thankful that we can get some food. Whatever service that they can provide is very much welcomed.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.