Author Topic: Info re shipping lines connecting Australia-New Zealand-Argentina early 1900s  (Read 1077 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Info re shipping lines connecting Australia-New Zealand-Argentina early 1900s
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 April 20 12:21 BST (UK) »

I don't think he gained expertise in steam engineering until living in NZ.

I am trying to match the records of someone in the UK with a complex childhood story with another of the same name and birthdate in Aus/NZ to see if they are one and the same, or whether I'm trying to make information fit the few facts that exist. 
WW1 records for Aus and NZ - he was supposed to be a sheap shearer which might have been a reserved occupation in Aus.

Electoral rolls in Aus depending on the age/property requirements. 
Departure records Aus to Auckland - but I don't know which port. ....

Re Shearer WWI  AIF ...Aust Imperial Force .... all volunteers ....  no conscription, voted down in 2 referendums.

Re electoral rolls.... universal male franchise since 1850s ... so by federation in 1901  needed to have reached 21 years of age,  have resided at the address 6 months and be a British Subject by birth or naturalisation.   It was not yet compulsory to register.

Re passenger lists between the British colonies of Australia and New Zealand . . Best to look for newspaper shipping announcements.  Keeping official records of Movement between Australia and New Zealand was not a high priority for Australian governments. Familysearch dot org has some reliable passenger lists, so too PROV (public record office Victoria)   Also mariners and ships in Australian Waters web site.  But travel between NZ and eastern seaboard was very easy to arrange, no passports, intercolonial movement and cost effective.  Often newspapers will have full names, eg John Campbell, shearing plant, whereas IF an official list is actually found it may have Mr Campbell, and not even an initial. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Info re shipping lines connecting Australia-New Zealand-Argentina early 1900s
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 April 20 14:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry Majm, only just seen your reply.

Thanks for all that valuable information - very useful and will keep me, or the NZ relatives, busy!

Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren