Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 8 - Lockdown)  (Read 11720 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 8 - Lockdown)
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 02 April 20 23:06 BST (UK) »

I read that there may be a “second wave” of the virus hitting China.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 02 April 20 23:08 BST (UK) »
Can you give a reliable source for that information apart from social media?
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 02 April 20 23:18 BST (UK) »

I read that there may be a “second wave” of the virus hitting China.

There's not, they fear there may be a second wave triggered by imported cases as people who have been abroad since before their lockdown return home.  That is why they're scrambling to make sure there is screening and monitoring where possible.  There numbers are low and atm all cases are imported or traced contacts.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 03 April 20 00:10 BST (UK) »
Can you give a reliable source for that information apart from social media?

I don’t consume any social media.  ;)

Not sure what is classed as reliable as regards figures and information coming out if China but I read it here:
https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/coronavirus-fears-of-second-wave-in-china-as-imported-cases-rise/news-story/9cf60faecf85e2c383361480fa5b591e

No idea about accuracy or sources.

A BBC article:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51955931

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 03 April 20 00:13 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Chinese markets when we visited China in 2001 we went to one of their markets and they were absolutely dreadful, animals caged in most unsanitary conditions, all manor of animals hanging up and being butchered on filthy tables with blood running everywhere, flies buzzing about all over the meat..... then there were the vegetable stalls there was one about the size of a tresel table  piled high with bean sprouts.. I've never seen so many again just open to everything that was buzzing around....

I thought the fish market in both the Maldives and in Galle in Sri Lanka were poor but the Chinese are something else entirely.

We don't realise how lucky we are in this country when you see some of the sights in other places....

even in France when taking a school ski trip the guys in the lift station opposite had a pig running up and down the street which they then shot... took it into the room under the lift and proceeded to butcher it and all the locals were coming with pots, boxes to pick up a piece of meet! Our ski rep went absolutely bonkers at them as this was all happening whilst our school party were having breakfast in the room that looked out onto the street!

But the hygiene standards in China leave a great deal to be desired and I'm sure they've not been telling the entire truth and that there have been far more deaths than they've let on.

On that Happy note I wish you all good night...

Stay safe and healthy and look after one another

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 03 April 20 12:59 BST (UK) »

But the hygiene standards in China leave a great deal to be desired and I'm sure they've not been telling the entire truth and that there have been far more deaths than they've let on.

Caroline

I agree Caroline, we've been told that there have been more in the USA than China but the USA has a population of 327 million compared to 1.3 BILLION in China so the figures don't stack up.

And whatever your opinion is on the traditions and customs of the Chinese or other nationalities, the fact of the matter is that this is how the pandemic started and the rest of the world should be pressurising them to stop these practices. They may not put their old folks in homes but their behaviour has been responsible for the deaths of a vast number of them.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 03 April 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
I'm sure the markets are disgusting.  I've seen disgusting markets in South America, too.  BUT, the conditions in the market aren't the actual source of the problem.  The source is a virus that mutated such that it could move from its animal host [bats?] to humans.  Similarly, swine flu moved from pigs to humans; it is believed to have originated at a pig farm in Mexico.  Avian flus have moved from birds to humans.  The prions that cause mad cow disease moved from sheep to cows to humans.  Deer suffer from a similar prion disease which, so far, has not moved to humans but it could.  Then there's ebola and HIV which also originated in animals.  And there are others, including some ancient diseases such as measles, which are believed to have passed to humans from an animal host.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 03 April 20 16:52 BST (UK) »
Isle of Man Government, 16:00 briefing.

Fine for ignoring Social Distancing ramped up to £250, rising to £10000! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 03 April 20 17:17 BST (UK) »
Quite right too. Good for the Isle of Man Government.

These idiots need to be taught a lesson. It's not rocket science what we are being asked to do.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife