Author Topic: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 8 - Lockdown)  (Read 11718 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 8 - Lockdown)
« Reply #171 on: Monday 06 April 20 20:22 BST (UK) »
Today 439 deaths, only 15 (3.4%) with no known pre-existing conditions. So why not just quarantine those with pre-existing conditions and let the rest get on with life?

I'm afraid it is not that simple. Coranavirus is a highly contagious Communicable Disease, no real cure and no vaccine.

Many of those who got on with life (as you say) would be spreaders and contact spreaders as well, whether they showed signs or not and at more risk of contracting it too.

Perhaps you'll feel a bit different about your suggestion, if you look at the options open to our Government (attached)?
 -----------
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been transferred to Intensive Care

Get well soon Boris

Mark

Added link
"Coronavirus: Boris Johnson moved to intensive care as symptoms 'worsen' "
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52192604

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Monday 06 April 20 20:33 BST (UK) »
Today 439 deaths, only 15 (3.4%) with no known pre-existing conditions. So why not just quarantine those with pre-existing conditions and let the rest get on with life?

So anyone with asthma, diabetes and other conditions have to be quarantined?

Thanks very much! That includes me :(

It makes you feel really worthwhile, doesn't it  :-X

Having been a willing dogsbody for a few decades I now feel "special"
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Monday 06 April 20 20:45 BST (UK) »

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Monday 06 April 20 20:55 BST (UK) »
From a piece in The Guardian when the UK was still on the Herd immunity path

“How many of us is that? NHS England’s latest report on the health of the nation acknowledged that 43% of adults – that’s nearly 20 million people – ­­­are living with at least one long-term health condition. Although not all of those would be directly in danger from Covid-19, there’s still a major section of our society who will be. You’ll know somebody, for sure.

Rehearsing with my amateur dramatics group last week, I looked around and noted with a jolt that practically everyone there had an underlying condition, be it asthma, diabetes, living in respite from cancer, or living with an organ transplant. We are not sick people day to day. We are highly functioning individuals – contributing fully to the economy and also playing important roles in our community, as carers for children or parents.”

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Monday 06 April 20 21:28 BST (UK) »
An advert has just popped up —- for a ladies ring with cremation ashes in it !
Bad timing !
Or do they know something ?
Earrings too ,brooches etc.
Made to order.
Talk about business opportunities and not missing them!
Viktoria

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Monday 06 April 20 23:25 BST (UK) »

Just in case anyone is interested in a historical fact today is the 700th anniversary of The Declaration of Arbroath.

28 years before the Black Death. Continuing the plague theme, Robert the Bruce Senior had leprosy or similar.
There's a series of programmes about the Declaration of Arbroath on BBC Radio Scotland this week. Didn't notice anything on TV.
Cowban

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
We tried to go for a socially distanced walk in the woods behind our house which we walk in regularly, even before all this.  Today it was a disaster and put me off ever going again. 

pharmaT - I really feel for you with this. We're fortunate to live close to a network of footpaths so we can get some exercise, but we've found that people vary a lot in the way they behave. Most seem to be very happy that we all keep as far away from each other as possible, but there are the odd ones where you get well off the side, and they just continue down the middle of the path, even though they could easily move a foot or so to the other side to increase the distance.

Some paths are shared with cyclists, and used a lot by joggers, and we've found that some of them don't have much idea of a 2 metre gap.

I know not everyone can manage it, but we've found that if we can set off before about 9am it's still quite quiet (usually - Sunday was busier). But please don't anyone do what someone here did - arrived by car at about 5.30, woke us up shutting the doors just outside the bedroom window, went for a 15 minute walk, and slammed the doors again when she got back. Back to sleep? Not a chance.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
We tried to go for a socially distanced walk in the woods behind our house which we walk in regularly, even before all this.  Today it was a disaster and put me off ever going again. 

pharmaT - I really feel for you with this. We're fortunate to live close to a network of footpaths so we can get some exercise, but we've found that people vary a lot in the way they behave. Most seem to be very happy that we all keep as far away from each other as possible, but there are the odd ones where you get well off the side, and they just continue down the middle of the path, even though they could easily move a foot or so to the other side to increase the distance.

Some paths are shared with cyclists, and used a lot by joggers, and we've found that some of them don't have much idea of a 2 metre gap.

I know not everyone can manage it, but we've found that if we can set off before about 9am it's still quite quiet (usually - Sunday was busier). But please don't anyone do what someone here did - arrived by car at about 5.30, woke us up shutting the doors just outside the bedroom window, went for a 15 minute walk, and slammed the doors again when she got back. Back to sleep? Not a chance.

Frustrating at the best of times even when people aren't being advised NOT to drive somewhere to walk.

The paths we were on other than the short single track bit were wide enough for people to move over.  Some do seem to take offence at being given a wide berth. I don't think they realise it is as much to protect them from us as it is to protect us from them. My friend described it as Schrodinger's virus.  You must act as if you have the virus and don't want to pass it on but you must also act as if you don't have it and they could pass it to you so we simulataneously have and do not have the virus the virus.

I must clarify just in case anyone gets upset when I said protecting others from me at the time of writing I have no symptoms but I have no way of knowing 100% that I am not a carrier.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, my attempt at mild humour (wee Jimmie Krankie) has upset some people but not others. Never mind.
As I've been walking around my home area on my permitted once-a-day exercise programme I have been surprised by the number of people I have never, ever seen before in my life, despite living in the same area for over twenty years. Where have all these people suddenly come from?, why have I never seen them before?, what do they do normally for exercise/going out instead of walking? Well, I suppose I never will but one thing about it is that most of them respond to a cheery hello/good morning.
One other thing I found out, a woman we know through dog walking is also learning the same language as me and on Sunday morning, when we bumped into her (not literally), we had a brief conversation, exchanging pleasantries. Practice, practice, practice.
I was a bit concerned today watching the news. It seems that Laura Kuenssberg, BBC correspondent, is, due to Boris Johnson's hospitalisation, somehow expecting a coup d'etat. She seems very concerned that the Government is now somehow rudderless and drifting and will not adhere to any plans already decided.
I can hear the sound of hob-nailed boots marching down Pall Mall now.
By the way, are you ready for tonight's (pink) super moon?.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".