Author Topic: National Archives Digitised records to be free while the NA is closed  (Read 33817 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: National Archives Digitised records to be free while the NA is closed
« Reply #36 on: Monday 27 April 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hello

Our ancestors names may be hidden within a Volume or File (of that Catalogue Reference) itself and therefore not appear in the search return, which quite often only gives the File or Volume Title.

Some TNA Volumes and Files are already scanned, name indexed and searchable on subscription sites.

Names contained within TNA Files and Volumes (not indexed by name and not on Subscription sites) but digitised by TNA, Kew, some can be searched through page by page for names.

Sometimes ancestors might appear in certain records and sometimes they don't.

Usually the first part of TNA Catalogue Reference denotes the record Reference and often the Government Department or Service creating the file.

Inland Revenue (ref IR) Will Abstracts catalogued on Discovery by Name
If your Ancestors left a Will Registered with an English Probate Registry and assessed for Duty between late 1790s and circa 1820.

Then an Abstract of the Will usually with Executors and Beneficiaries named might be useful (these are not the full Will copies available from a Probate Registry).

They are in the 'Inland Revenue' record series "IR 26"

Try your own surname in the "Exact word or phrase" box AND enter "IR 26" in the "Any of these references" box on the Advanced Search page, to bring up these particular former Inland Revenue records.

Make sure you leave a one space gap between IR and 26

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/advanced-search

A search example of HOOD under IR 26 should give these 16 results covering a 20 year period approx (the other years got destroyed in a fire) ...

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Hood&_cr=IR%2026&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

Mark

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 27 April 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
The search functions are pretty poor.

I am sure I have posted this before, but when I once employed a professional researcher for some national archives stuff, she said their catalogue was called Discovery “ because you have to discover how to use it”

For anyone having trouble with Discovery, there’s a basic introductory podcast here ...
https://media.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php/introduction-to-discovery-the-national-archives-catalogue/

... and a free webinar coming on Tuesday 19 May (register through Eventbrite)
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/top-level-tips-using-discovery-tickets-103129555276?aff=homepage

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 13:18 BST (UK) »
The quality of the images is atrocious, too.

What a load of amateurs they are!
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 28 April 20 13:30 BST (UK) »
The quality of the images is atrocious, too.

What a load of amateurs they are!

There has been nothing wrong with the images that I have downloaded, is it a particular data set that you are looking at.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 30 April 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
Everything I have looked at (mainly military records) has been grey in grey, sometimes barely legible.  I suppose one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I wouldn't pay £3.50 under normal conditions.
They clearly have a lot to learn about scanning.

One man with middle name John was indexed with middle initial R.
That's the sort of crass error we've come to expect from Ancestry,
but not from an official body such as the National Archives.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 30 April 20 13:53 BST (UK) »
I am not used to using TNA web site but I have not found any difficulties in downloading various digitised records for several of my ancestors.  I have found them easily, downloaded them easily and not had any issues with 'grey on grey'

I congratulate TNA on this initiative.  Currently reading an 1823 will full of details about my ancestors .... nothing crass found ....  :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 30 April 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
One man with middle name John was indexed with middle initial R.
That's the sort of crass error we've come to expect from Ancestry,
but not from an official body such as the National Archives.

Sadly that is true of most data sets, there will always be errors.  That is why we always say on here you need to see the original.

I think also that some of the TNA transcripts may have been done by the likes of Ancestry & F M P when they were awarded the contracts to publish them on their websites
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 30 April 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
Images in black and white means that they are scanned from microfilm or fiche. The original filming might have been done decades ago - when I first visited Kew in the late 1980s loads of records were on film, so a lot of filming must have been done some time before then. Some records that have been scanned from original documents much more recently are really good, and they're in colour. I've found some interesting stuff in Poor Law Union correspondence MH12, although only only a small amount of it seems to be digitised and indexed

Offline ABradley

• RootsChat Senior
  • O'Brollachain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 30 April 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have attempted to download an 1808 will but they still want payment ???

Andrew

OK I had to sign in again - download completed
Bradley,Co.Derry
Shevlin
Doherty/Kearney,Donegal