Author Topic: National Archives Digitised records to be free while the NA is closed  (Read 32696 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: National Archives Digitised records to be free while the NA is closed
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 02 May 20 10:42 BST (UK) »
I was one of the very first members of Rootschat and helped many newbies with info as I had paid access to quite a few sites but I no longer have any paid subscriptions and have recently learnt that the 1939 National Register has been released by Kew but I see that records can only be accessed by paying Findmypast about £40 minimum for 3 months.

I have relatives that I would like to find out about in London, Middlesex and Gloucestershire - just one in Essex.

If I pay how easily can I search for those - do I first have to find out which registration district they were in or can I just search the whole database with surname and given names?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 02 May 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
post cancelled, misread the question, apologies

Boo

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 02 May 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
1939 registers are available on F M P and Ancestry, I think they may sometimes appear as part of their free weekends.  FindMyPast updates theirs regularly, Ancestry once a year.

They are easy to search just using names though obviously better if you can narrow down a part of the country.  You can also include dates of birth in your search.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 04 June 20 15:15 BST (UK) »
1939 registers are available on F M P and Ancestry, I think they may sometimes appear as part of their free weekends.  FindMyPast updates theirs regularly, Ancestry once a year.

Also worth mentioning that access is free at many libraries, and some authorities have arranged for free access to Ancestry for library members (at home) due to the current Covid-related closure of libraries.

If I pay how easily can I search for those - do I first have to find out which registration district they were in or can I just search the whole database with surname and given names?

Searching is essentially the same as for the online census records - if the name(s) are unusual then you might be lucky and get away with those only.

There is no birthplace information, and the records don't give the name of the parish someone was living in, so it is necessary to have an understanding of the registration districts to work out whether a result might be correct.

The compensation is having the full date of birth available sometimes helps - although only if it is correct. From my own searching I've found there is a good chance of the year being +/-1 and it is surprising (to me at least) how many people's birth days don't match other sources.

Also bear in mind there was already a lot of war-related displacement of people. Either evacuees or forces families might not be where you expect them to be, and forces personnel are generally missing entirely.

And finally it is worth bearing in mind that you don't necessarily need to pay in order to just search the records.  E.g. F M P still operate on the principle of non-subscribers paying to 'unlock' individual households - but typically it is possible to locate a household of interest before payment is required.  Therefore if you are only going to subscribe for a short period of time (or will use 'free' access opportunities) then it makes sense to use the free searching options to first locate the households you are interested in (and note down the details), so you can be more productive when you have paid for/free access to the full information.

There is still a lot of information online from when the register was first launched about how to make the most of the searching facilities and to improve the chances you've found the right household before paying to view.  Much of this is still relevant if you don't have full subs.

Offline jmp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 04 June 20 17:10 BST (UK) »
There is currently free access to Ancestry for Oxfordshire library card members from home. If you are not an Oxfordshire member then you can still apply for a library card to access the same and they will send you details of your library card and pin number which yiou can then use to access the site. This will only be temporary whilst the libraries are closed so make the most of it ;D
https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/leisure-and-culture/libraries/reference-online/family-history-and-biographies
Devon: Hortop, Phillips, Palmer, (Lamerton area)
Derbyshire: Hancock, Widdowson (Sheffield area)
Suffolk:Ratcliff ,Howlett, (Lowestoft area)
Kent:Ratcliff (Ramsgate area)
Norfolk: Stout, Fiske

Offline AidanG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 06:17 BST (UK) »
It has been really useful

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 26 June 22 10:32 BST (UK) »
There is currently free access to Ancestry for Oxfordshire library card members from home. If you are not an Oxfordshire member then you can still apply for a library card to access the same and they will send you details of your library card and pin number which yiou can then use to access the site. This will only be temporary whilst the libraries are closed so make the most of it ;D
https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/leisure-and-culture/libraries/reference-online/family-history-and-biographies

I notice that this was open to those that live in UK.

Is the information current and what about those who do not ?
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 26 June 22 10:52 BST (UK) »

The library access stopped several months ago - it was only for people who were a member of a local library service that subscribed to the Ancestry Library version.

There was a  separate thread somewhere here detailing how to use it etc.

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 26 June 22 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Nick.
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise