Author Topic: Clap for the Carers again at 8pm  (Read 4730 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clap for the Carers again at 8pm
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 05 July 20 23:13 BST (UK) »
I just couldn't do it any more, especially as pushed by the Government so much made it feel like tokenism.  I don't feel brave, I don't feel like I deserve thanks as I can't do it any more.  I just want to cry every time I see people close together in big crowds, completely ignoring distancing.  Arguing why it's their right not to wear masks, calling me weak, selfish and a sheep for wearing one.  It feels as if it will never be over, that i may never see my mum again and then the same people who are saying this are the loudest clappers in my area.  There just isn't any point any more all the effort has been for nothing.

I realise I am being selfish, but i haven't done anything to stop people expressing themselves and using their freedoms and I punish myself for having these selfish thoughts. OK confession I did ask one woman who had grabbed me not to touch me but that's it. 
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 05 July 20 23:40 BST (UK) »
You're not selfish Pharma.... exhausted, yes of course you are with everything you and your colleagues have been through. So don't beat yourself up and ignore what other idiots say...
I agree with you about people not doing what they ought to... sticking two fingers up to others really aren't they?
People came out in our road... O.H went out.. I didn't as was trying to set up Zoom to speak to family...
It's not that I don't care or think everyone's done a brilliant job... I've done my bit to assist and given in many ways... it wasn't well publisised at all...
I've personally thanked quite a few locally for what they've done so feel that's enough...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 06 July 20 08:08 BST (UK) »
PharmaT, it is quite extraordinary the number of critical people you come across.  Fortunately, I have had no one criticise me for wearing a mask.  I just wouldn't listen to them if they did.  Personally, I do think all the effort has not been for nothing.  I think all the effort made collectively will have saved lives.  Things could have been much worse than they have been. Please don't self punish.  Clapping is a choice and not an obligation.  You are no less of a person if you choose not to clap.  You have your reasons and this is okay and by no means are you selfish to make your own choice.  I will continue to clap if this does go ahead again at some point in the future, if my circumstances permit. 

Caroline, I agree you have certainly done your bit, in fact more than your bit with all the sewing and knitting.  Someone made me masks to use on the bus going to and from work and I certainly appreciate that someone cared enough to do this.  I am sure the recipients of your handiwork will very much appreciate what you have done for them too Caroline.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 06 July 20 08:34 BST (UK) »
We went out every week in the lockdown to clap for all the keyworkers. I'm afraid we could not bring ourselves to clap for 'The NHS'.  As an organisation it is vastly top heavy with waste of resources, and money. Its record with IT is abysmal. My OH has ( like the rest of us) a PAPER file with all his past records as loose pages in it. It's stuffed full & the 'cover' is in tatters. God help him if someone dropped it, all his medical records would be totally mixed up. At appointments they usually  rely on asking us his previous medical history which we have printed out in summary & take with us.

Over the years we have seen the Chief Executives come and go, each promising the moon - yet our hospital is still in special measures as it has been for years. These CEOs rotate round the various NHS trusts & go from one hospital where they have failed to the next.

We have been grateful for our hospital on many occasions and the majority of medical staff do an amazing job that most of us would not or could not do - grossly underpaid below consultant level too. I would clap for them but I could not be a hypocrite and clap for the bloated bureaucratic organisation that is the NHS.

PharmaT had the right word - tokenism. I don't think anyone should be judged because they didnt go out and clap because Boris told us to.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area