Author Topic: James Compton  (Read 1165 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James Compton
« on: Thursday 02 April 20 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm hoping someone might be able to identify a possible marriage and christening for two people [father and son] named James Compton in the Rudgwick area of Sussex.

The first person I'm trying to locate is James Compton senior who I believe was born around about 1681. He married Sarah Burchatt in May 1710 in Rudgwick and died there in May 1744. Can anyone suggest a suitable christening for him?

Next up is his oldest son, also named James. He was born in Rudgwick in 1713 and had a daughter named Mary who was born there in 1741. So far I haven't been able to locate a marriage for this James or any other children. I know he died in 1764 so it is possible he had other children either before or after Mary.

Again can anyone suggest a suitable marriage for him or identify and other children which might be his?

Thanks for any ideas.

Matt

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Compton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 20 05:41 BST (UK) »
Listed under London and Surrey marriage bonds and allegations on ancestry

James Compton of Ridgewick Sussex farmer married Mary Seymour.

The bond was dated 16 February 1739 so they either married the same day or a few days later.
Both were single and both aged 26.

The bond paid was 200 pounds and the other bondsman was Thomas Flynt of Careford? also a farmer.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 20 22:54 BST (UK) »
Listed under London and Surrey marriage bonds and allegations on ancestry

James Compton of Ridgewick Sussex farmer married Mary Seymour.

The bond was dated 16 February 1739 so they either married the same day or a few days later.
Both were single and both aged 26.

The bond paid was 200 pounds and the other bondsman was Thomas Flynt of Careford? also a farmer.

Hi there

Thanks that look like it definitely helps. I wonder where Mary Seymour was from? Could she have been from Surrey or was she from Sussex like him? At least I have something to follow up.

Was £200 a lot of money for a bond?

Many thanks for the info.

Matt

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 20 05:33 BST (UK) »
The image of the bond is on ancestry.
Yes 200 pounds was a great deal of money.

Rootschat policy does not allow us to post from pay to view sites.
If your local library is closed, use your library card access to their ancestry subscription to view the image.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 20 11:05 BST (UK) »
The bond was a sum of money that would be forfeit by the bondsman if the marriage did not take place.  It was not a fee payable to obtain a licence.

There is no sign of the marriage in Sussex at the moment.

You can check the Rudgwick registers online on the FamilySearch website by signing up for a free account.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 20 11:08 BST (UK) »
The image of the bond is on ancestry.
Yes 200 pounds was a great deal of money.

Rootschat policy does not allow us to post from pay to view sites.
If your local library is closed, use your library card access to their ancestry subscription to view the image.

Thanks for the info. How do I access Ancestry using my library card? My local library has free access to it but I only need to log into the computer. How do I log in at home?

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
The bond was a sum of money that would be forfeit by the bondsman if the marriage did not take place.  It was not a fee payable to obtain a licence.

There is no sign of the marriage in Sussex at the moment.

You can check the Rudgwick registers online on the FamilySearch website by signing up for a free account.

Nell

Hi Nell

Thanks for that. I've checked the parish registers for Rudgwick on FamilySearch and so far I can't see any sign of a christening for either James Compton or Mary Seymour. I've also checked Surrey but there's no sign of her there.

I wonder where they were from if not Rudgwick.

More to look into later.

Best Wishes
Matt

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 April 20 11:26 BST (UK) »
How do I log in at home?

All libraries will be different so you should look at your library's website (or the council's page on its libraries) and look for information about how to do it.  It might be under their local residents' information on what services the council has changed during the current situation. My library has put a link on its page about Ancestry access from home.  In our case you need to use your library card barcode number and its associated pin number. 

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 April 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
How do I log in at home?

All libraries will be different so you should look at your library's website (or the council's page on its libraries) and look for information about how to do it.  It might be under their local residents' information on what services the council has changed during the current situation. My library has put a link on its page about Ancestry access from home.  In our case you need to use your library card barcode number and its associated pin number. 

Nell

Hi Nell

Not sure where you are based but you're lucky. I'm in Hertfordshire and the Hertfordshire Library Service don't seem to have put anything on the website apart from a message saying they can't respond to calls/emails at the moment. I did find Ancestry on there and tried my usual log in details but nothing happened so I don't know if I'll get on it. I'll have another look tomorrow though.

Matt