Author Topic: My Family Tree Maker is 839 gygabytes  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My Family Tree Maker is 839 gygabytes
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 April 20 00:13 BST (UK) »
I'm also looking at FreeBSD operating system ... also Open-Source and FREE, easier for Windows diehards
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 April 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
Having never used FTM I will leave the details to someone who knows about it, but I think it is really important to find out what is using all that disk space before doing anything else.

It's difficult to analyse a problem with limited information but I have assumed you are saying that the FTM folder is using 839GB. If you open that folder and there are multiple similar files, that would support Ian's "Save As" theory. If the 893GB is the whole of the drive there could be something else filling it up.

I found this web site which should help in locating the FTM files on your computer if you're not sure:

https://support.mackiev.com/332961-Finding-Family-Tree-Maker-Files-in-Windows

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Annad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 April 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
What's a FreeBSD operating system?
Chesterfield, Staveley, Brampton, Whittington, Brimington, Newbold - Derbyshire, Dronfield, Matlock
Whittlesey, Thorney - Cambridgeshire
Bridport, Weymouth, Wyke Regis - Dorset
London
Markfield -Leicestershire
Hethe, Bicester, Bucknell - Oxfordshire
Steeple Claydon, Fenny Stratford - Bucks
Bishop's Castle, - Shropshire
Newcastle West, Co Limerick, Ireland
Navan, Co Meath, Ireland
Curragh, Co Kildare, Ireland
Colwich, Great Haywood, Staffordshire

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 April 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Could anyone please tell me if it's normal for a Family Tree Maker to take up 839 gbs on a PC. I only have 7 thousand and odd people on it and a lot of documents but I just can't imagine that this is normal. My PC has 1 TB of space and now I'm getting warnings that my hard drive is almost full.
I really don't know much about computers and so I'm at a loss as to know what to do and some advice would be very welcome.

Thank you

Anna

Old versions of Family Tree Maker were well known for the amount of storage space they used but that was supposed to be changed a few years ago and certainly before it was sold to Mackiev.

I suggest checking to see you are running the latest version and deleting any temp files.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 April 20 10:45 BST (UK) »
What's a FreeBSD operating system?

It's an alternative Operating System for computers, tablets etc instead of Windows, Apples's or Linux ( there are several hundred versions of Linux based operating systems - beware, that's a lot of learning.)
Do you remember DOS ( Disk Operating System ) which Microsoft based Windows on ... MsDos first.
Unix was the early computer op system used by Universities and Governments. Linus Torvald and others developed Linux and from there spawned variations.
FreeBSD is based on Linux but said to resemble the procedures you find in Windows, but you still need to learn how to use it.
It's Open-source which means it's free to download and use and develop.
see Wikipedia or visit their home web site ..
https://www.freebsd.org/
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Annad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 April 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
Ok - no I don't remember DOS but I'll check out your link - thanks
Chesterfield, Staveley, Brampton, Whittington, Brimington, Newbold - Derbyshire, Dronfield, Matlock
Whittlesey, Thorney - Cambridgeshire
Bridport, Weymouth, Wyke Regis - Dorset
London
Markfield -Leicestershire
Hethe, Bicester, Bucknell - Oxfordshire
Steeple Claydon, Fenny Stratford - Bucks
Bishop's Castle, - Shropshire
Newcastle West, Co Limerick, Ireland
Navan, Co Meath, Ireland
Curragh, Co Kildare, Ireland
Colwich, Great Haywood, Staffordshire

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 April 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
I've recently started getting this message too.
My D drive reportedly has less than 500 Mb free.
No I have not used 'save as' recently, in fact I've hardly saved anything. I had a rather full waste bin, which I've emptied, I've also deleted several old FTM trees & back-up files but the notice still pops up now and again.
I suspect malware in which case I'm scrapping Windows and going to Linux.

That's a bit of a dramatic step.

What is your setup? Which version of Windows are you running? Do you have a C: drive?
What is your D: drive - is it a stand-alone drive or is a partition of another drive? How big is it that partition? How big is that drive? What do you have installed on it? Do you backup your documents, pictures, music and videos to that drive? How quickly is the space diminishing from that drive?
How much space do you expect to have?
Have you run any software to see if you do have malware?

If you do want to switch to Linux, will all your software still run? Do you have backups of everything important?