Author Topic: Asda shopping  (Read 17550 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Asda shopping
« on: Friday 03 April 20 13:54 BST (UK) »
We had an Asda home delivery on Tuesday, another due next Friday, after that there are no more slots to be had.
We have had a couple of offers to help with shopping, but the question of payment comes into it.

Asda to the rescue - they have introduced what they call a 'Volunteer Card'. Prepay on the internet, print out or forward to volunteer. I might brave the shops in about two or three weeks time for fresh food, but this would also work quite well.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Asda shopping
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
Good luck with the shopping and the volunteer card, I had not heard of that.

I went shopping yesterday at 7.20 am and glad to say the store was a lot less busy that it had been the previous week at that time. Also the shelfs were 80 per cent full rather than 80 per cent empty as they had been the week before.

Re the two to three weeks it may be a little longer than that as isn't that when we are meant to be at peak infection level.

Must admit I am petrified when I go shopping as I do the shopping for someone who is highly vulnerable to infection and is housebound for twelve weeks at least and my greatest fear is picking up the infection in the shop and passing it on.

Still stay safe everyone and good luck.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 20 14:08 BST (UK) »
We have had a couple of offers to help with shopping, but the question of payment comes into it.

Kind neighbours are doing shopping for us and I simply pay them by bank transfer  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 20 14:31 BST (UK) »
It is worth trying to sort something out because I think there is a very good chance the lockdown will be extended for a least another 3 weeks, so next week there will another round of panic buying.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
I have decided I will go out once a week, see how I am the following week and go again, I think if I am not affected after 7 days I can go out again, but I have been very careful and adhered to the rules

Couldn't get a slot anywhere

Why are people panic buying, there is no need especially when you read the brown bins are as full as they are after Christmas holidays, no need for waste to that extent

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 April 20 14:39 BST (UK) »
Re the two to three weeks it may be a little longer than that as isn't that when we are meant to be at peak infection level.

Meaning that after 2 or 3 weeks we could do with some more fresh food - milk, cheese, fruit, veg.

We will manage without, got a fairly well stocked store cupboard, and next week's order will be bigger, but it is nice to have fresh.

The last time we went shopping, 2 weeks ago today, we couldn't wait to get out of the place. From what I hear, things have improved - stores only letting a few in at a time, enforcing social distancing etc.

Kind neighbours are doing shopping for us and I simply pay them by bank transfer  :)

Yes, we had thought of that as well.

Prescriptions due in a few weeks time, but they were practising social distancing when I last went, so should be ok.

Pharmacist asked a couple to leave the shop as only 2 customers allowed in at a time. They went out, only to stand immediately outside the door looking in, I had to ask them to move away as I came out!

How much things have changed in the last month.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 20 14:39 BST (UK) »
Panic buying is very much like a virus except you catch it by just seeing another person stocking up on things. You look at the shelves, see there is not a lot of say eggs left so you buy some just in case, even though you probably do not need them. From then on it is just self repeating.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 April 20 14:44 BST (UK) »
I call it GREED

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 April 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
It is worth trying to sort something out because I think there is a very good chance the lockdown will be extended for a least another 3 weeks, so next week there will another round of panic buying.

Inevitable really. Both the lockdown and the panic buying.

What are people doing with all the hand sanitizer they hoarded? They are limited in going out and don't need it at home.

As for eggs - chickens lay eggs more or less every single day. There is not going to be an actual shortage of eggs in the system, yet there apparently is one in the shops. Unbelievable.

Regards Margaret