Author Topic: Cran family. Where could this house be?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cran family. Where could this house be?
« on: Friday 03 April 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
This is a long, long shot but I wondered if anyone recognized this building from the entrance. I can't find anywhere that has a pillar in the center like this. It is most likely in the Edinburgh area or possibly Aberdeenshire but could be anywhere in Scotland. These are the family of John Cran - Shipbuilder in Leith and I would guess it was taken around 1900 - 1910.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Many thanks, Erica.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cran family. Where could this house be?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 April 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for the family on the 1901 &  1911 census which will give you their address at that time?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 April 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
Was his wife Isabella?  1901 has a John Cran b 1850 Rhynie Aberdeen marine engineer & shipbuilder living @ 11 Brunswick St Edinburgh

Where was he in 1911?  If same address - you possibly have your answer. If he was still in Edinburgh then at least you know which part of Scotland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
11 Brunswick St is now a hotel/bistro: https://www.11brunswickst.co.uk

If you have a look on Google Street View, you can see what the front of the buildings on this side of Brunswick St look like - they've got quite elaborate columns at the foot of the steps, which I can't see from this photograph, so I'm guessing this photo wasn't taken there.

Assuming the John Cran that CaroleW has found is the correct one, there is a likely John Cran, aged 61, living in Inveresk & Musselburgh in the 1911 index on SP.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline erica236

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 20 16:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you,
Yes he was at Brunswick Street in 1901. I haven't yet found a census for 1911 but will have a look.
I have looked at all the possible other family member's homes and it is certainly not any of them. It looks as though it is some sort of Mansion. There is another photo with many more family members in the group and I think they must have been having some sort of family gathering. John's brother Robert emigrated to Vancouver around this time so it could possibly have been some sort of farewell party?! I can work out who the people are in the picture but am curious to know where the photo was taken. It looks very grand!

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 April 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Boy holding the baby. Is that a bit unusual or is it just me. No law against it.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 20 16:48 BST (UK) »
John Cran's death notice of 1940 gives his address as Backhill House, Musselburgh.

I can't quite work out if the house still exists, but there's Backhill Farm, Backhill Farm Cottage, and The Dower House, Backhill, all part of the Carberry estate, just outside Musselburgh.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 April 20 16:54 BST (UK) »
The 1909-10 and 1911-12 post office directories also give his home address as Backhill House, Musselburgh.

Ruth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 April 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
This fits with what you mention, Ruth.

Link shrunk - www.rootschat.com/links/01p9y/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk