Author Topic: Samuel Peach and wife Elizabeth  (Read 707 times)

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Peach and wife Elizabeth
« on: Friday 03 April 20 23:21 BST (UK) »
I am currently re looking at

Samuel Peach born about 1764
married to Elizabeth (possibly Weston)   which I have put in my data base so already have this marriage  i.e. 26 March 1785 Roade Northamptonshire.  Samuel was recorded as widower on the marriage cert

I think they have 7 children, Sarah, Elizabeth, William, Millicent??, Hannah, Samuel, George....  I have these Baptisms

The problem I am now having is the will for a Samuel & Elizabeth in 1841 & 1844 doesn't seem to mention any of the children and on the 1851 census, Elizabeth is still alive as she is a widow living with her daughter Sarah and Edward Westley in Roade, Northamptonshire.

That would eliminate the 1844 Elizabeth Peach death.... so since then have found another burial for a Samuel Peach in 1826...

Is it possible to find another marriage for a Samuel Peach to an Elizabeth and are there 2 Samuels around the same time...

I am getting little lost with this now.

Cheran ??? ???

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Peach and wife Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 20 07:20 BST (UK) »
1851 with daughter Sarah as mentioned (Sarah was born c1792 Wootton, Northamptonshire)
HO107/1738 f255 p30

Elizabeth Peach -Widow - age 85 (born c 1766) at Hardingstone, Northamptonshire

Is she in Wootton in same house as son George in 1841
HO107/813 bk20 f18 p28
Elizabeth Peach age 70 Ind(ependent  Means) Not born in County.

Childrens baptisms at Wootton
30 May 1790 Melicent
1792 Sarah
1795 Elizabeth
1797 William
1801 Hannah
1803 Samuel
1807 George

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 20 07:31 BST (UK) »
Samuel Peach
Age   62 (born c1764)
Burial 14 Oct 1826
St George The Martyr, Wootton

Is this the date you have for a will

The 1785 marriage at Roade to Elizabeth Weston was by Licence

You ask about other Samuel/Elizabeth's - there was a marriage in All Saints, Northampton in 1787 between a Samuel Peach and Elizabeth Pewtress -that Samuel was a Wool Stapler
I suspect he is the Samuel (of Northampton) who died c Dec1841, will mentions Elizabeth his wife
PEACH, SAMUEL       age 78 
1841  Dec Quarter in NORTHAMPTON UNION  Volume 15  Page 192

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 20 09:03 BST (UK) »
The wills I have are dated 1842 and 1844... Samuel Peach Esquire died 1841and His wife Elizabeth 1844

I think that as Samuel was an  Esquire its not likely that Elizabeth was a Charwomen... and given that in 1851 Elizabeth mother of Sarah was still alive....

I will relook at the Census of George 1841 tomorrow....  I thinking it was Wootton but can't remember

The baptism of Sarah also has on the same page a child for Thomas and Jane peach.  Jane Peach is also on the same page buried as Samuel burial notice. 

Cheran

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
I can't find a marriage for Samuel before the 1785 marriage as he is recorded as a widower.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this little family

Cheran

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
The entry on the Death Duty Index in 1842 relates to the death of Samuel Peach of Northampton who died in December 1841 - John Percival being one of the executors.

John Percival was also an executor to the will of Elizabeth Peach of Northampton in 1844
Death registrationPEACH, ELIZABETH    age   83 
1843  Dec Quarter in NORTHAMPTON UNION reg district  Volume 15  Page 202
I cannot see a will for your John or Elizabeth.  This is probably your Elizabeths death, the family can't seem to make up their minds how old she was  ;D
PEACH, ELIZABETH    age   86 
GRO Reference: 1851  Sept Quarter in HARDINGSTONE UNION  Volume 15  Page 181
She was buried 12 September at Roade

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 20 22:07 BST (UK) »
The wills I have are dated 1842 and 1844... Samuel Peach Esquire died 1841and His wife Elizabeth 1844

I think that as Samuel was an  Esquire its not likely that Elizabeth was a Charwomen... and given that in 1851 Elizabeth mother of Sarah was still alive....

I will relook at the Census of George 1841 tomorrow....  I thinking it was Wootton but can't remember

The baptism of Sarah also has on the same page a child for Thomas and Jane peach.  Jane Peach is also on the same page buried as Samuel burial notice. 

Cheran

I have relooked at George on the 1841 census..... HO 107/813/20 Wootton

In Wootton, his age is recorded as 30 an Ag Lab An his wife is Fanny with 6 children and Elizabeth is recorded as aged 70 a widow which looks like it's crossed out and Independant which looks that is crossed out as well.... I know they rounded up or down the ages in 1841.  I would say it reads they were at "News Old Green" of my transcribing is up to speed.

Thinking is probably my Elizabeth with her son...

??? ???

Cheran

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 April 20 01:05 BST (UK) »
I have relooked at George on the 1841 census..... HO 107/813/20 Wootton

In Wootton, his age is recorded as 30 an Ag Lab An his wife is Fanny with 6 children and Elizabeth is recorded as aged 70 a widow which looks like it's crossed out and Independant which looks that is crossed out as well.... I know they rounded up or down the ages in 1841.  I would say it reads they were at "News Old Green" of my transcribing is up to speed.

The address is Near the Old Crown. The entry for the inn itself is on the facing page.

Wife (and Widow) on this page have been struck through because they should not have been entered at all in the Occupation field.

Ind (for Independent Means) has not been struck through, but just tallied, for statistical purposes, by the clerk in the census office. You can see the same sort of tally-mark on Ag Lab, for example.

Adult ages (above 15) should have been rounded down (not up) in 1841, as they appear to have been here.

Offline CHERAN

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 April 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.... big help in my learning curve

Regard

Cheran