Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 4th April  (Read 653 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 4th April
« on: Saturday 04 April 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
Saturday 4 April

Finished nightshift and called at M&S on way home in Newcastle.  There was a long queue but we all moved up quite fast.  I didn't want much but everyone is now being given a trolley - no baskets - I was told this helps with social distancing.  It was a bit frustrating as they have moved some things around so it was a bit of hide and seek to find what I wanted.  It is the last thing you want to have to go round in circles trying to locate stuff after a nightshift when you have little energy and just can't be bothered.  Staff are running things like a well oiled machine on the safety front.

Managed to time getting the bus much better today.  There used to be four an hour but now there is just one.

I went to the back of the bus to maintain my distance but someone came along there too .. although we are at opposite sides of the windows.  Same thing happened yesterday, people following me to the back even though there are plenty of seats to choose from.

Looking forward to breakfast and bed when I get in which will be around lunch time.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 4th April
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thought it was time Trystan had a rest ;D ;D
So, I've started Saturday's diary.

Usual breakfast: Hot cross bun and a cup of Ceylon tea.

Was getting worried about the package of tea I ordered - but it arrived this morning!
6 teas to try ;D

Upstairs neighbour is going to clean the back yard today.
As I'm on ground floor, it's my job to supply buckets of water!

Next week she wants to paint the walls! ::)

Slightly warmer today - 10C.
Hoping it will get sunny later.

Over to the rest of you!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
Very disciplined queue waiting in the car park to be allowed entry at Waitrose.

I've decided that I should really wear a mask when I'm likely to be closer to people inadvertently than the 2m recommended - still focusing on not spreading anything I've got - so took scarf with me to see how I could manage with that.

Not too successfully, to be frank - couldn't hold it up properly, when I did somehow fasten it round my mouth my glasses misted up  ;) - so I simply held the scarf to my mouth and nose whenever I was forced to approach people.  Now awaiting washing.  (that's the scarf, I did the full hands wash immediately on getting in)

Will make a couple of masks from t shirts as instructed on Youtube, I'm sure there are several garments which I can sacrifice for such a good cause.

Intention is to set off on another walk shortly.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
Cut my fringe this morning, very gingerly! Turned out okay. Delayed my walk as I wanted to let my hair dry before I went, no point in getting the dryer out. Must admit I'm missing getting dressed up and going out, really missing seeing my friends and giving them a hug.

My walk took even more of a zigzag route today, several people cycling through the woods, also a jogger who was skirting the field and seemed to think it was up to me to avoid him.

My paperback was delivered by the postie today, together with two packets of seeds that I bought from different retailers. Not sure if there's something going on with the Royal Mail, I wonder if they're restricting deliveries. Opened all items while wearing plastic gloves, wiped down the outside of them all with a soapy cloth then quarantined them for the time being.

Did some more art work. Couldn't decide what to make for tea and couldn't really be bothered so resorted to a spag bol I had in the freezer.

Have never watched Line of Duty, it's been recommended to me and all series are available on iPlayer so decided to give it a try. Think I'll also give a glass of Chardonnay a try, it is Saturday after all. Apparently!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 20 21:14 BST (UK) »
Just had a bit of a panic a little earlier as I thought my first bus wasn't going to come so I can get to nightshift.  It turns out it was just 10 minutes late.  Phew!

Roobarb, this reminds me that I must try to cut my hair too on one of my upcoming days off.  i am starting to feel a like a bit of a shaggy dog.  I think I will have to do this 'gingerly' too.  I remember as a child I decided to give my Barbie doll a trim and couldn't get it even so kept cutting more and more off until eventually she had a very short punky style .. I hope I don't end up like that! ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 20 21:28 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I cut my fringe a couple of days ago, I was beginning to look a bit Claudia Winkleman.  I didn't do the best job of it  ::).  I will try to tidy it up again when I wash it tomorrow. I am a bit annoyed with myself, I intended to get my hair cut and highlighted a few weeks ago but put it off because I couldn't be bothered, then all the shops closed.  I think I will have to learn to love my brown roots and split ends  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 20 22:05 BST (UK) »
I can think of a lot worse people to look like than Claudia Winkleman!  :D I know what you mean though. River Tyne Lass, just remember that less is more!

There are a lot of videos online that demonstrate how to do it, I guess it depends on what your hair is like as to the technique you need to use. My granda used to say that my hair was as straight as a yard of pump watter. It still is.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 April 20 00:38 BST (UK) »
I phoned the buitchers first thing ordered my meat and paid over the phone, that way all I had to do was to pick it up just before they closed.

Whilst doing that I decided to go to the coop for some wine and milk. They were well organised manager outside ensuring everyone standing 2m apart one out one in system. Hand sanitizer on a table as you went in (I wear disposable gloves anyway) floor makings in yellow/black tape 2m apart and footprints in circles showing which way round to go, worked well. I went to get usual wine ( 4 bottles with 15% discount) got usual amount 4 white 4 red got to till and could only have 2 of each... rules changed! Ah well means we'll drink less I suppose so not all bad.

I'd left OH having 3 way Zoom chat with his golfing buddies.... looks like this has now replaced their usual Saturday golfing.. at least I'll know what day it is!

Lots of folk about walking dogs, out for runs, couples with prams quite a lot of cars too.
Sadly the 'walk in your locality ' hasn't affected the motor bikes screaming up and down the main road... OH phoned local police station and they agreed it was unnecessary and would deal with it but the bikes continued all a/noon so they must have been to busy...

Got all washing done and dried, one of back lawns mowed and window frames all washed patio swept.

Chatted to a friend who works at Gatwick airport, thought she might not be working but said they were busy, (she's in a team that does the screening and security). One terminal closed ..Still got cargo flights coming in, internal flights with medical people, military folk all have to be screened. Touring the terminal checking no ones got in. One BA hanger been set up as a morgue just in case it's needed, engineers have to move planes around from place to place too, she said it was quite interesting to see what else goes on there. She still doing 4 days on /4 days off and has rosta up until July!

Washed down the BBQ and we had our first one of the year this evening...only bit to chilly to sit outside.

Haven't watched any news today it was quite refreshing and I certainly haven't felt so stressed today as other days watching it too often... make a note not to watch too much news.

Looking forward to being able to sit out tomorrow in the garden in the sunshine.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK