Author Topic: Donald Mackenzie of Urray, what was father's occupation?  (Read 3367 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Mackenzie of Urray, what was father's occupation?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 April 20 22:54 BST (UK) »
I'm idly wondering if I've hit on a reason why John McK and his wife Anne Robertson seemed to have gadded about quite a lot. 

The Scottish archive catalogue has several mentions in the right time frame for a vicar with the same surname as the wife = Robertson, who similarly moved about Ross & Cromarty quite a bit.  I'm wondering if John McK was a church warden/committee member/elder, or whatever they had in those days. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 13 April 20 23:25 BST (UK) »
If your Rev Robertson was a Presbyterian minister, you may be able to find information about him here http://www.ecclegen.com/general-index-r/

However he was not a vicar. Presbyterian churches do not have vicars.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
If your Rev Robertson was a Presbyterian minister, you may be able to find information about him here http://www.ecclegen.com/general-index-r/

However he was not a vicar. Presbyterian churches do not have vicars.

Thank you very much for posting this link Forfarian.  I've now spent some time checking out the information and found that yet another possible avenue on my list has to be crossed off.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke