Author Topic: Struwwelpeter? Home Haircuts  (Read 4481 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Struwwelpeter? Home Haircuts
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:40 BST (UK) »
I have loads of hairpins, both slender ones and sturdier ones, from the decades when my hair was very long, and spent most of its time twisted up in knots, held in place with pins.
Then I had it cut.
It's stayed like that for years, OH prefers it - as I've never used a hairdryer, he always has said it took me a whole evening to let it dry..... but if we're isolated and cut-less for long enough, I'll get those pins out again...
Just one problem: They're all bronze, and my hair is .... ah.... greyer now!
Hmmmn :-\
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 April 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
I have a resident Santa Claus for Easter!  :D He does have the jolly face for it and we've been there, done that before but he's now three weeks over his more regular 4 weekly hair and beard trim.

Lady Godiva me  ::) Very long time since I've sat in a chair at the hairdressers, and a while since I've trimmed the ends myself. Au naturel ( not nude meaning really  ;)) ...  silver threads among the sunkissed gold and naturally wavy, particularly when left out to dry and then soft crimps,  when shorter would probably sometimes look like image 1st post, quite fine but a lot of it. Don't wear loose while out much these days, always get comments on how long it is when I do, usually twisted up any which way and reasonably easy care ... that's me, mare  :)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 April 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
I have read on the net that there is now a shortage of hairdressing scissors  for those hoping to buy them online.  Back to the nailscissors, then. :D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 April 20 15:21 BST (UK) »
Sounds really nice,mine too was thick and shiny, very dark brown, but not  quite black ..so straight ,it defied perms etc.
Down to almost my waist, but for practical purposes in a French pleat.
We were allowed a dance and could bring boy friends when in the sixth form.
Had to organise it ourselves.
I had quite a long way home to go ,no time to wash and dry my hair(no home hairdryers in those far off days).
Some time previously I had some cut off ,and for some reason wound it round Mum’s curlers.
I had the brilliant idea of fastening my hair back tightly and pinning the curled hair to it.
It looked good.
Back at school and dancing with my boy friend ,he said” Is that one of
yours?”- and there in the floor was an almost black curl,then we saw another,and another.
Off to the cloakroom with a girlfriend for repairs.!
I still have some of those curls and  a thick plait too,
It now is still pretty dark but some silver in it too ,not as thick because I have an under active Thyroid ,so hair quite a lot thinner..
I have never dyed it ,I was just glad to have some when it thinned !
Had it cut very short just before lockdown.
Nice when hairdresser has done it but now ,done by me?
Fourpenny all off !
I cannot understand girlsSTRAIGHTENING lovely curls and waves.
Daft!
Viktoria.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Many years ago my daughter, who has naturally curly hair, decided to straighten it. Of course the inevitable question came, "What do you think dad, do you like it?".
Suitably unimpressed with the answer she went off in a huff to her room and, needless to say, it has never been straightened since!.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hair that's been straightened always looks a bit sad and feeble to me.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:52 BST (UK) »
I have short hair and hate it when it gets 'long and thick' so have it trimmed every 5 weeks. At the beginning of this, I went and bought a cheap electric corded razor set and have used it twice. I started with a number 5 comb and followed the lines of my haridressers cut. It wasn't too bad though the back thickness near my neck was a problem. I got my husband to use scissors to trim the back hairline.
This week I decided to tackle the thick back bits and went down to a number 3 comb. This worked better and now I feel I can manage with it not driving me nuts, but I have to say I'm looking forward to a proper haircut as soon as we are allowed.
Like someone else said, I'm going to try and keep on top of it so it doesn't get too thick or long again.
North East of England

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
You sound so brave. I can and do tackle most things, but I've never had the confidence even to trim hair. Ridiculous, I suppose - what'd be the worst that could happen? Hair grows. But I dare not try it on self or OH. We'll be hairy monsters by the time Hairdressers are released..... In a few more weeks, two amiable haystacks wandering down the road in search of a mowing machine?

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 April 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
I'll be doing my husbands next week , though may use the scissors more than the razor thing with his. He's err a bit thin on top already lol.  :) Main thing with his,  is to check he takes his hearing aids out first,  or I might cut the little plastic tubes!
North East of England