Author Topic: Struwwelpeter? Home Haircuts  (Read 4488 times)

Online Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Struwwelpeter?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 18:47 BST (UK) »
I was due a visit to the hairdressers just before lockdown.  I had a go at my fringe the other day, it turned out a bit wonky but I have sorted it now.  I now need to have a go at the rest.  I think I will end up looking like Cousin It from the Addams Family if we're not let out soon  ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pah/
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 21:40 BST (UK) »
I am taking this opportunity to grow my rapidly vanishing hair. Unfortunately when my hair gets too long I take on the appearance of Freddie Boswell in Bread, consequently I have never had really long hair, even when it was in fashion. So here we go!!.
However, there are objections coming from the direction of the settee. I am now described in terms such as "you look fluffy"...…….  mmm?.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hairpins!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hairpins!

Is it possible to still buy hairnets?.  ::)
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 21:25 BST (UK) »
Oh, yes!  Had to get some for an old lady recently.  Maybe a snood, like 1940s filmstars used to wear.  Quite glam. Google "snood in 1940s films" and you'll see what I mean.  Can't get the picture to copy, sorry.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 21:27 BST (UK) »
Onion bag?  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 22:01 BST (UK) »
Sarah cut my hair on Sunday.

I happened to have seen my Barber (Nino) on the way back from our "Click and Collect", so I pulled over and kept a generous distance from him to have a natter with him. I told him that I was very overdue a haircut as it was an he gave me tips on how Sarah could cut my hair.

It was really great to talk to him. He really missed his customers. He misses talking. So I was glad that I stopped.

So going home, I put a chair out in the back, and Sarah was armed an dangerous with my beard clippers in hand, and she cut my hair according to Nino's instructions that I relayed to her as best as I could remember. I must have remembered alright, and combined with Sarah's natural amazingness (hey, I married the gal), my hair looks great!

Nino is going to get a good tip next time I get my hair cut by him. In the mean time, I'm so lucky to have Sarah by my side (well -  both sides, and back - for my 'short back and sides').

Trystan

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Struwwelpeter? Home Haircuts
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 22:17 BST (UK) »
I cut part of my fringe today - the bit in the middle so that I could see. I was lucky that I had mine cut a couple of days before the lockdown.  Mr G didn't so I am going to get the scissors out tomorrow.
When we lived in the Highlands, I cut it quite often but I've not attempted a cut for about 15 years  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Struwwelpeter? Home Haircuts
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 April 20 14:47 BST (UK) »
I gave my husband a "trim". It looks fine and anyway no-one will see him for weeks while we wait it out!
My mother used to wear her hair in a turban as they did in wartime, I might try that!
rayard.