Author Topic: Where is this? #25 Mock Tudor House  (Read 9786 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this? #25 Mock Tudor House
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 13:44 BST (UK) »
One of the things I considered - due to the isolation of it - that it may be an Asylum etc

Looking at some hospitals I see Ellerbeck Fever Hospital Workington has an adjunct building in Tudor style. I dont think it is as I can only source one long shot picture .

So instead of golf club maybe hospital/asylum?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 16:46 BST (UK) »

So instead of golf club maybe hospital/asylum?

I notice that in the first of the two photos the windows on the lower floor seem quite high up 

However, the very dramatic bay window in the lower photo is to a lower area - grand entrance hall? - as it seems to me to be adjacent to a main entrance with a sloping canopy type roof over it, supported by pillars.  The fact that the roadway seems to lead to this would suggest it is the main entrance.

On the other hand, the first photo also shows another major entrance with crenellated top.

Whatever it is, it's a very dramatic building with considerable pretensions to grandeur!

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 17:15 BST (UK) »
The dry stone wall might be a clue to which part of the country it's in.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 17:35 BST (UK) »
Another thing to consider, which has been mentioned in previous threads like this, the building may have been renovated in more recent times and possibly had it's timbers removed.

It could look quite different now, if it still stands  :-\
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
It does have the look of an institution of some sort rather than a private house or hotel. There appears to be a chapel window behind the crenellated doorway. School, religious institution or college perhaps?
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 22:49 BST (UK) »
Would I be right in saying the dorner window on the far left of the first photo is the same dormer window just about visible at the far left of the second photo?

If so, that flat landscape in the background is very extensive ... so my guess would be sea rather than fields.

Also, does anyone know what the pole is near the left side of the house on the first photo.  It seems to have bend at the top and two dangly bits...?  :-[

Offline trish18

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 01:02 BST (UK) »
I think you are right Gilby, it does appear to be the same dormer window on the far left of both photographs. I’ve also been wondering what the bent pole with the two dangly bits is.

The whole building seems a very strange mix of styles. Not sure about the gothic style bay window along with the Mock Tudor gables, and the columns under the cat slide porch roof! Is it a ‘new build’ or a ‘makeover’ with a huge extension at the back, hence the strange architectural style?

I think the photographs were taken around 1920’s to 1930’s but I may be completely wrong.

My first impression is that it’s close to the sea. There are numerous rooms in the eaves, possibly for staff or students?

I am thinking along similar lines to Janan that it could be a religious institution of some sort due to the chapel style windows and for some reason the gothic bay window (but when I look again I also think it could be an hotel ).  ???

PS   I have just looked at the first photograph again and have come to the conclusion it’s a ‘Toby Carvery’  ;D
Carroll - Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork
Hooley - Tattenhall, Cheshire
Lloyd - Gresford, Denbighshire
Platt - Wrexham, Denbighshire
Sullivan- Monmouthshire/Glamorganshire/Cork

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 08:42 BST (UK) »
I do agree with Gilby that the end of the house with the 'herringbone' black and white decorated top is shown in both photos - so that the photographer for the second shot is standing to the far right of the first shot, just beyond the fence posts.  They are at the far right of the first shot and in the foreground of the second.

If that makes any sense, I've had to draw a diagram of it to make it clear to myself!

I also think that the horizon in the second shot is the sea - it looks more level than fields would be.

And in the first shot, looking to the left of the mansion, towards the horizon, is that a road or a river?

In terms of the 'thing' with the curly top in the first picture is that a tall lamp post?

There are some deep shadows in both pictures - could someone deduce which direction the house is facing? 

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
I realised that the part of the building in the far right in picture 1 was the same gable end closest to the photographer in picture 2 - the shape of the 'attachments' under the window and the poles apparently propping it up appear in both.

I also believe it is the sea in the background.  I am inclined to think that on the right in picture 2 there are the tops of roofs of other houses which are in effect below the skyline and down the slope. 

And is that the outline of another porch/portico that can be seen on the far right in picture 2?  Would it in effect be opposite the one shown in picture 1?

I don't think it is big enough for an asylum or a hotel.  It does look to be out in what appears to be the middle of no-where.  Hotels in that sort of position might well need to be larger to attract the paying guest, especially if not on a main road or near a railway station.

The sun is casting some good shadows so I think the photographer is facing in a generally northerly direction.  And I think this is an almost finished new building.

Only other observation is that there are no trees or shrubbery visible.

Having said all that, when it is found, less than 1% could be correct  ;) ;D

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk