Author Topic: Where is this? #25 Mock Tudor House  (Read 9763 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this? #25 Mock Tudor House
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
For what they are worth some observations and gut feelings.

Late Victorian/Arts and Crafts, but cannot see clearly if bargeboards are decorated
Decorated chimney stacks
Seaside (clifftop) villa for local VIP?
Possibly Cornwall?
Otherwise I haven't a clue! :-\
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 15:48 BST (UK) »
The sun is casting some good shadows so I think the photographer is facing in a generally northerly direction.

I broadly agree with this, although the angle of the sun is quite low - see the shadow of the porch in the middle of the first picture (LMP 0032a.jpg).

So it could be early morning looking generally westwards, or late in the day eastwards, or if it's winter then as you say, northwards. One thing that we can be fairly sure of, I think, is that we're not facing southwards. (Assuming we're in the northern hemisphere, that is.....)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
The sun is casting some good shadows so I think the photographer is facing in a generally northerly direction.

I broadly agree with this, although the angle of the sun is quite low - see the shadow of the porch in the middle of the first picture (LMP 0032a.jpg).

So it could be early morning looking generally westwards, or late in the day eastwards, or if it's winter then as you say, northwards. One thing that we can be fairly sure of, I think, is that we're not facing southwards. (Assuming we're in the northern hemisphere, that is.....)

Oh Arthur.... :(
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline DB10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 April 20 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody - Ive been a member for many years now and have posted occasionally - but I suddenly find myself with a lot of time on my hands - how did that happen....

Anyway I have worked in architecture and building and have been really intrigued by these pictures.
My thoughts won't help to locate but may give others some clues to pursue.

I think we are looking at a major extension to an originally fairly large building - probably Victorian in origin. There are so many differences in style as shown in the attached pics that lead me to believe that the original building was a C shape with a large verandah entrance between two wings.
The original building had no timbering at first floor while the presumed "extension" has extensive timbering (Mock Tudor) which might place it as Edwardian. Also the roof lines are totally wrong if this was a one off build.

I think they were changing the frontage to be the large porticoed entrance shown in the top pic which meant creating a more sweeping drive into that facade of he building.

This original building fronted on to a "road" which at that time was unmade but you can see evidence of a road edge running across the original "frontage".

I don't think it was in "the middle of nowhere" as you can see evidence of a large shadow to the left, which I think can only be another building, and evidence of roof lines to the right.

In the bottom pic you can also see evidence of a pole and cables which are running parallel to the road which would indicate that this is not a remote location.

I've also shown the approximate angle of sun on both pics.

I am in the process of drawing a sketch plan of what we can see and will update in due course.

Meanwhile feel free to disagree or debate ......

Stay safe

DB

Please don't use my restores without my permission - thankyou. 😎

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 April 20 00:56 BST (UK) »
Excellent observations DB  :)

After reading your comments I took a closer look and noticed the chimney stacks are a different design on the "original" building to the "extension".
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 April 20 01:01 BST (UK) »
With their interest in the medieval, could the Victorians not have built a dwelling intentionally encompassing various styles of architecture? I do understand what you are saying though.

I think one reason this looks like a new build is because there appear to be no gardens whatsoever and you might expect an exisiting house to have something.

I agree that it is a bit of a mishmash and I originally did consider it might be being renovated, but I really am not sure.

Offline DB10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 April 20 01:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jool - there are so many differences it just feels, intuitively, that these are two different parts of the buildings history.

Hi Ruskie, I just feel that the differences are so stark that it is two different developments. I understand what you say but if they were melding different styles it would be a bit more subtle than what we can see.

Also I agree with your point about garden/landscaping, that is something I can't understand because there is no evidence of any kind of landscaping in either picture.

DB
Please don't use my restores without my permission - thankyou. 😎

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 09 April 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
Great post, DB10.

It is a most strange house, and I've had a bit of a struggle trying to work out its plan.

I agree about the 'original' house and the huge extensions.

Looking at picture 1, what do you think about the long, high roofline with the dormer windows (as indicated on my shot), as well as the 'tower' structure which looks almost like a church tower, together with the vertical window adjacent to it - which also have a church window type appearance.  Or are windows on a staircase?

You can just see the top of the long high roofline in picture 1, and also, just beyond the bay window of the new section, do you think there is another 'tower' like structure over the entrance canopy?

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 09 April 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
Though this isn't it, the whole set up reminds me of this Cornwall mansion
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London