Author Topic: Diary > Monday 6 April  (Read 636 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 6 April
« on: Monday 06 April 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
Can't believe no-one has beaten me to it today, maybe people are getting bored by recording the fact that they've done almost the same things every day. My contribution doesn't vary much but I like it as a way of keeping a link with other Rootschatters and getting a glimpse into different people's lives.

I slept very badly last night, ended up with about only four hours of sleep, such a contrast with the night before. Had to drag myself awake, decided to have a rather lazy day. Spent some time reading and drinking tea of course! Took myself off for my walk, it was quite windy again this morning. It had rained heavily during the night and part of the morning so I expected the ground to be soggy but the wind seemed to have blown it dry. It's a lovely walk through the woods but I daren't go further down the path as it narrows considerably and I would encounter the problems mentioned on another thread, although hopefully not such rudeness. So I'm getting a bit bored by the same route and wishing I could go to the beach again. I could do so but taking into account the time it would take to walk there and back I wouldn't get any time actually walking on the beach. Must count my blessings that I have the opportunities that I do have.

Lunch then some gardening, also cleared a bit more space in the garage by tidying up and having a move around. Came indoors for a rest and a cuppa, timed nicely as a friend then phoned for a long chat. A bit more gardening then decided what to make for tea. Rootschat and TV, it's the final episode of Liar tonight, am recording it so will watch it with a slight delay which will enable me to skip the adverts. Intending having a bit earlier night tonight.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 6 April
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 20 21:02 BST (UK) »
I started last week decluttering  until I realised the charity shops and recycling  sites are closed, I can see I am going  to have a huge amount of stuff laying around in bags, so have slowed down a bit but will get it done bit by bit

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
After breakfast of toasted crumpets and Assam tea, life got exciting ;D
Well, OK! As exciting as it gets :D

It was time for my weekly shopping trip to Tesco ;D ;D

Got a pizza for tea (I only eat pizza once a month or less frequently) and some chicken.
Going to have a bash at chicken quesadillas tomorrow.

Lunch was oxtail soup.

Upstairs neighbour and I decided it was darned chilly for sunbathing, but we sat out anyway; 2m apart.

Started to oil the garden table; but a big gust of wind took my teak oil and threw it into the road! :(

Neighbour decided to paint the inside front door - and then the skirting board all the way up 5 flights of stairs. I gave her moral support ;D

Must order some exterior paint from B&Q; and some more teak oil.
And maybe some bedding plants for a bit of summer colour.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
It was the most glorious day – clear blue sky, warm but without the Queensland humidity. The neighbourhood was quiet, but for bird song and the rustle of the breeze in the trees – no traffic, no planes overhead, not even sounds of children playing.
Starting very early, I worked all morning on my laptop with the cat as my constant companion. I have been organising teaching material to deliver online after the Easter break. I wonder if I have prepared enough, or too much, and speculate which of my students might struggle depending upon the commitment of their parents, or the facilities they have at home. I stopped for a 15-minute break and repaid the cat’s kindness by giving her a brush. Then I made some short teaching videos explaining new concepts. I taught myself how to edit them - learning something new every day.
There was just enough of the left-over roast lamb for a lunch-time sandwich, which I ate on the verandah overlooking the lush late-summer garden. Cream confetti drifted down from the large flower bracts on the Alexandra palms. The strelitzia (bird-of-paradise plant) is in its full colourful plumage after the rain we had 6 weeks ago; the bees were busy at the blue ginger; the Cooktown orchids are almost in full bloom ready for Easter; the early flowering camellia is beginning to show pink around the buds.
I lay on the bed to read, and woke up an hour later. I wandered around the garden pulling out the odd weed, and contemplated pruning the lobster-claw heliconia, and how much would fit in the bin. I put the sprinkler on the lawn where the grass is beginning to dry, and within minutes there were birds playing in the water sprays, taking a shower. The pruning will wait – the bin is full.
Later I watched the news, and the splendour and beauty of the day vanished.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 April 20 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hubby braved the shops to get milk this afternoon and came back with some hot cross buns.
Lovely treat for tea I thought and popped them under the grill........thought the fruit was looking a bit squidgy and it turned out they were chocolate brioche buns and the chocolate made one hell of a mess  Tasty though  :D
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 00:08 BST (UK) »
My day started early...waking at 6.30am in anticipation of the alarm going off at 7am so I could get out to the supermarket early..... I must be mad never get up at that time let alone set an alarm....

Got to the supermarket before 8am opening and was amongst half a dozen others waiting and standing the required marked out distance in the drizzle. I was delighted to see right at the entrance a carousel with packets of veg/flower seeds so bought beetroot and radish, OH will be thrilled...

Everyone in the store was being very respectful of distancing and I felt quite comfortable with that...except for the mask and disposable gloves. Store pretty well stocked and having made a comprehensive list I was ticking things off brilliantly.

Moved on to Waitrose and only had to queue for a short time and managed to tick off everything else except salt.... they didn't have any.... why would you stock pike Salt?

Home by 9.30, OH had just got up 😱 but kindly made me a cup of tea. I then spent the rest of the morning putting all non perishable goods on the bench in the garage....leave there for 72hrs and washed the rest in soapy water... thank goodness the pkts of cheese,fish and meat were well sealed otherwise they'd all have tasted soapy.

Sat in the conservatory for lunch then we decided to have a walk over the fields which was joyous, the wind in our hair... well mine anyway! We saw a pair of yellow hammers and wagtails on the grass verge and stopped to watch them both such pretty little birds.

Home sat in the conservatory trying to amend my Waitrose order for next week as I'd managed to get most things today.... seemed to take me forever. OH went off to plant his beetroot seeds.

Had a relaxing evening watching tv and had intended to go to bed early as I was up so early but got caught up with listening to news about poor Boris being taken into intensive care... I thought he's looked quite unwell for sometime.... hope he's going to be ok, think it's going to bring people up short when they hear.

Well off to sleep to be ready for tomorrow's lively day!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
Catching up now for yesterday.....

Another beautiful day which I used to wash the mattress coverings of one of our beds, plenty of sunshine to dry the sheets in the open air (and then finish off, after evening dewfall, in the airing cupboard).

My long walks on recent days have left me with a painful knee which is very irritating, so I tried to rest it as much as I could, in the hopes that I will recover to continue the exercise.  It may take more than a day, though, to get better.

Plenty of stuff in the house to do.....

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
I am spring cleaning the bedroom, found a pair of curtains in the under box, so I am going to see what I can do with them, if I can't put them to a window I might make peg bags the the Christmas bazaar yes, plenty of things to do but I am finding it is a long day

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 April 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
Tuesday 7 April

This was my first long day shift since lock down.  I need to get two buses home.  Things felt a bit scary when first bus just didn't turn up so I missed my second connection.  The town seems quite deserted - only me and a bunch of rowdy sounding men nearby initially then more rowdy people arrived so felt quite isolated and vulnerable.  Became quite worried that the second connection bus might also fail to show too. 

Thank goodness, it has come but now I won't get home til after midnight and I have to be up again for work at 5 am.  I know I am probably lucky the buses are running at all but for keyworkers like myself who have to use public transport things can be a bit hair raising attempting to travel home safely late at night.😱
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner