Author Topic: Sarah Barden  (Read 1695 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Barden
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Iíve looked at this and canít find a baptism of a Francis Page (yet) - I also canít find an Edmond/Edward Page marriage to fit the bill either, unless he married further afield and Iíve found a couple in London which Iím looking into - it was only a 40 mile horse ride away  ;D

Best wishes
Claire

Hi Claire

It's a big mystery. I'm pretty sure the Francis Page who married Mary Pritchet in 1643 is the father of Edmund [1646], David [1648] and Frances [1655]

That Edmund is the one who died in 1696 leaving a will. Frances [1655] married Richard Willett.

Now take a look at the tree here

http://www.theweald.org/N10.asp?NId=160030491

This shows Francis Page [1688/89], Mary Page [1690] and their siblings as being the children of an Edward/Edmund Page born in Buxted in 1660.

Francis is certainly the man who married Anne Homewood and who was the father of Sarah.

From what I can work out this Francis cannot be the nephew David Page refers to in his will. In other words he can't be the son of Edmund [born 1646] given that he'd be under 10 when David's will was proved if he was.

I think we may be looking at cousins here, with one set not yet found.

Can you double check the christening of Francis [christened 16 March 1688/89] at Maresfield?

The tree at the above link has his father's name as "Edward/Edmund" and I think that's where the problem lies. There is an "Edward Page" christened in Buxted in 1660 who is probably this man's father. He would appear to be the son of an Edmund Page born in Buxted in 1641. Those dates add up.

It is possible I think that the Francis Page who married Mary Pritchet was an uncle of Edmund born in 1641. I think he'd be born in the 1620s so it would work out

So at the moment until we can work out who this other Francis Page is it looks like I'm stuck on who those wills relate to. I feel certain we can be confident that my Francis is the son of Edward/Edmund born in 1660. The real question is was he Edward or Edmund? It's the line I'm sticking with until we know who the wills relate to.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 18 June 20 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

It's been a while since I posted on here as I've been working through various wills associated with the Gilham and Homewood/Holmwood families.

I have now come across a new puzzle regarding the Homewood family in Fletching. The problem I have relates to the question of who William Homewood [1599/1600] was married to. We know that he had seven children as follows:

Mary - born February 1623/24 Fletching
Jane - born February 1625/26 Fletching
William - born January 1627/28 Fletching died 1629
John - born January 1628/29 - married Frances Peckham
Joan - born March 1631/32
Anne - born Januray 1634/35 [possibly twin]
William - born - January 1634/35 [possibly twin]

The puzzle is that there are two possible marriages for William snr.

First there is a marriage in Chailey on 6 August 1623 for William Homewood to Joane Paine.

Second there is a marriage at Lewes on 3 August 1624 [by Licence] for William Homewood of Bolney to Winifred Holden of Henfield.

Chailey is about 3 miles from Fletching and Lewes is about 8 miles from Fletching.

Several online trees show the mother of these Homewood children as being Winifred and I have only seen one which shows the mother as being Joan.

There's no indication on the marriage licence that the William who married Winifred was a widower, but is it possible that the same William was married to Joane [by whom he had his daugter Mary] and then Winifred [by whom he had Jane and all the other children]?

William died in 1663 leaving a will in which he mentions his children and grandchildren but not his wife so that doesn't help identify her. One of the witnesses may have been an "Anthony Holden" however.

Can any of you guys help work this out? Could William have been married twice?

I might post a separate message btw but thought I'd add this on here.

Hope all are well
Best Wishes

Matt

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 18 June 20 22:34 BST (UK) »
Matt

Might this post be better as a separate subject since you seem to be focussing on William Holmewood rather than Sarah Barden?

Where did William say he lived when he made his will, please?

There is a baptism of a Mary Homewood in Henfield in Jan 1624/25 - I would suggest her mother is Winifred since she was described as of Henfield on the licence and often women returned to their home for their first child's birth/baptism.  Then there is a baptism for Jane Homewood in Bolney in September 1626 - again her mother is probably Winifred and Bolney is where the family lived.

So the Fletching family may well be William & Joan, but you will need to do some more research for your proof.

A Winifred Holden was buried in Henfield in 1641, widow of Roger - maybe Winifred's mother? scrub that  see below

Nell

Added: Baptism of Winifred 16 Aug 1602, at Henfield daughter of Edward Holden.
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 18 June 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
Matt

Might this post be better as a separate subject since you seem to be focussing on William Holmewood rather than Sarah Barden?

Where did William say he lived when he made his will, please?

There is a baptism of a Mary Homewood in Henfield in Jan 1624/25 - I would suggest her mother is Winifred since she was described as of Henfield on the licence and often women returned to their home for their first child's birth/baptism.  Then there is a baptism for Jane Homewood in Bolney in September 1626 - again her mother is probably Winifred and Bolney is where the family lived.

So the Fletching family may well be William & Joan, but you will need to do some more research for your proof.

A Winifred Holden was buried in Henfield in 1641, widow of Roger - maybe Winifred's mother? scrub that  see below

Nell

Added: Baptism of Winifred 16 Aug 1602, at Henfield daughter of Edward Holden.

Hi Nell

Yes I'm adding a separate post just about William Homewood but as there has been a lot of discussion about them here I thought it useful to add the details here.

I'll try to answer your question in brief here but I'll start a new thread for this topic so it's probably best to post answers there.

Anyhow on to your questions.

Firstly in his 1663 will William Homewood states he was "of Fletching in the county of Sussex" - you can see the will here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DRZ4-W2D?i=783&cat=685691

In this he mentions

his daughter Jane Snell
his son John Homward [another variation of Homewood]
his granddaughter Catherine Tester
and lastly his daughter Mary Tester who he makes Executrix

Jane Homewood married Thomas Snell at Fletching on 27 May 1651
Mary Homewood married William Tester at Fletching on 7 August 1651

The will was witnessed by a William Tester and Thomas Snell.

The last witness's first name was Anthony and his surname might be Holden.#

My laptop is being a little slow tonight so I'll stop here and post a more detailed thread as a new board.

Matt