Author Topic: Sarah Barden  (Read 5290 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Barden
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

I’ve looked at this and can’t find a baptism of a Francis Page (yet) - I also can’t find an Edmond/Edward Page marriage to fit the bill either, unless he married further afield and I’ve found a couple in London which I’m looking into - it was only a 40 mile horse ride away  ;D

Best wishes
Claire

Hi Claire

It's a big mystery. I'm pretty sure the Francis Page who married Mary Pritchet in 1643 is the father of Edmund [1646], David [1648] and Frances [1655]

That Edmund is the one who died in 1696 leaving a will. Frances [1655] married Richard Willett.

Now take a look at the tree here

http://www.theweald.org/N10.asp?NId=160030491

This shows Francis Page [1688/89], Mary Page [1690] and their siblings as being the children of an Edward/Edmund Page born in Buxted in 1660.

Francis is certainly the man who married Anne Homewood and who was the father of Sarah.

From what I can work out this Francis cannot be the nephew David Page refers to in his will. In other words he can't be the son of Edmund [born 1646] given that he'd be under 10 when David's will was proved if he was.

I think we may be looking at cousins here, with one set not yet found.

Can you double check the christening of Francis [christened 16 March 1688/89] at Maresfield?

The tree at the above link has his father's name as "Edward/Edmund" and I think that's where the problem lies. There is an "Edward Page" christened in Buxted in 1660 who is probably this man's father. He would appear to be the son of an Edmund Page born in Buxted in 1641. Those dates add up.

It is possible I think that the Francis Page who married Mary Pritchet was an uncle of Edmund born in 1641. I think he'd be born in the 1620s so it would work out

So at the moment until we can work out who this other Francis Page is it looks like I'm stuck on who those wills relate to. I feel certain we can be confident that my Francis is the son of Edward/Edmund born in 1660. The real question is was he Edward or Edmund? It's the line I'm sticking with until we know who the wills relate to.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 18 June 20 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

It's been a while since I posted on here as I've been working through various wills associated with the Gilham and Homewood/Holmwood families.

I have now come across a new puzzle regarding the Homewood family in Fletching. The problem I have relates to the question of who William Homewood [1599/1600] was married to. We know that he had seven children as follows:

Mary - born February 1623/24 Fletching
Jane - born February 1625/26 Fletching
William - born January 1627/28 Fletching died 1629
John - born January 1628/29 - married Frances Peckham
Joan - born March 1631/32
Anne - born Januray 1634/35 [possibly twin]
William - born - January 1634/35 [possibly twin]

The puzzle is that there are two possible marriages for William snr.

First there is a marriage in Chailey on 6 August 1623 for William Homewood to Joane Paine.

Second there is a marriage at Lewes on 3 August 1624 [by Licence] for William Homewood of Bolney to Winifred Holden of Henfield.

Chailey is about 3 miles from Fletching and Lewes is about 8 miles from Fletching.

Several online trees show the mother of these Homewood children as being Winifred and I have only seen one which shows the mother as being Joan.

There's no indication on the marriage licence that the William who married Winifred was a widower, but is it possible that the same William was married to Joane [by whom he had his daugter Mary] and then Winifred [by whom he had Jane and all the other children]?

William died in 1663 leaving a will in which he mentions his children and grandchildren but not his wife so that doesn't help identify her. One of the witnesses may have been an "Anthony Holden" however.

Can any of you guys help work this out? Could William have been married twice?

I might post a separate message btw but thought I'd add this on here.

Hope all are well
Best Wishes

Matt

Online Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 18 June 20 22:34 BST (UK) »
Matt

Might this post be better as a separate subject since you seem to be focussing on William Holmewood rather than Sarah Barden?

Where did William say he lived when he made his will, please?

There is a baptism of a Mary Homewood in Henfield in Jan 1624/25 - I would suggest her mother is Winifred since she was described as of Henfield on the licence and often women returned to their home for their first child's birth/baptism.  Then there is a baptism for Jane Homewood in Bolney in September 1626 - again her mother is probably Winifred and Bolney is where the family lived.

So the Fletching family may well be William & Joan, but you will need to do some more research for your proof.

A Winifred Holden was buried in Henfield in 1641, widow of Roger - maybe Winifred's mother? scrub that  see below

Nell

Added: Baptism of Winifred 16 Aug 1602, at Henfield daughter of Edward Holden.
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 18 June 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
Matt

Might this post be better as a separate subject since you seem to be focussing on William Holmewood rather than Sarah Barden?

Where did William say he lived when he made his will, please?

There is a baptism of a Mary Homewood in Henfield in Jan 1624/25 - I would suggest her mother is Winifred since she was described as of Henfield on the licence and often women returned to their home for their first child's birth/baptism.  Then there is a baptism for Jane Homewood in Bolney in September 1626 - again her mother is probably Winifred and Bolney is where the family lived.

So the Fletching family may well be William & Joan, but you will need to do some more research for your proof.

A Winifred Holden was buried in Henfield in 1641, widow of Roger - maybe Winifred's mother? scrub that  see below

Nell

Added: Baptism of Winifred 16 Aug 1602, at Henfield daughter of Edward Holden.

Hi Nell

Yes I'm adding a separate post just about William Homewood but as there has been a lot of discussion about them here I thought it useful to add the details here.

I'll try to answer your question in brief here but I'll start a new thread for this topic so it's probably best to post answers there.

Anyhow on to your questions.

Firstly in his 1663 will William Homewood states he was "of Fletching in the county of Sussex" - you can see the will here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DRZ4-W2D?i=783&cat=685691

In this he mentions

his daughter Jane Snell
his son John Homward [another variation of Homewood]
his granddaughter Catherine Tester
and lastly his daughter Mary Tester who he makes Executrix

Jane Homewood married Thomas Snell at Fletching on 27 May 1651
Mary Homewood married William Tester at Fletching on 7 August 1651

The will was witnessed by a William Tester and Thomas Snell.

The last witness's first name was Anthony and his surname might be Holden.#

My laptop is being a little slow tonight so I'll stop here and post a more detailed thread as a new board.

Matt

Offline MartinGM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 22:10 BST (UK) »
The idea of Sarah Bardin being born Sarah Page then adopting the name Bardin when her mother remarried is a good one and is clearly a possibility
There's a problem . . . that Sarah's sisters were married as "Page". Of course Sarah may have viewed things differently.
I think I slightly prefer Sarah Bardin/Barden who was born in Herstmonceux on 8 Sep 1736, daughter of Nicholas Barden and Mary Dray who married in Wartling on 15 Apr 1734.
But I recognise that it is probably impossible to resolve this with any certainty.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 01 April 21 00:24 BST (UK) »
The idea of Sarah Bardin being born Sarah Page then adopting the name Bardin when her mother remarried is a good one and is clearly a possibility
There's a problem . . . that Sarah's sisters were married as "Page". Of course Sarah may have viewed things differently.
I think I slightly prefer Sarah Bardin/Barden who was born in Herstmonceux on 8 Sep 1736, daughter of Nicholas Barden and Mary Dray who married in Wartling on 15 Apr 1734.
But I recognise that it is probably impossible to resolve this with any certainty.

I had also seen that christening when I was researching the various families connected to Sarah but after examining all the relevant wills and other documents I am as confident as I can be that Sarah Bardin/Barden was born Sarah Page.

This is all based on relationships mentioned in various Page wills, and the wills of related families which clearly show a pattern.

That said I haven't looked at the Page or Barden line since last year and it's always good to keep an open mind. Who were these sisters that were married as "Page"?

The Sarah from Herstmonceux could be related somehow and she's someone who it is worth me keeping in mind.

Sadly I don't have my Barden/Page family trees or wills to hand but I will take a deeper look at them as well just for certainty. That said Sarah "Barden/Bardin" was married to John Botting at Fletching in 1766, John was from Fletching and their children were all christened there as well. So it would seem to make sense for Sarah to be from there as well.

As I said though, there's no harm in double checking the details especially in the wills etc just to be certain.

Who knows Sarah from Herstmonceux could be a cousin.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 16:40 BST (UK) »
It's been two years since by last post on this subject and I've now discovered I've been tracing the wrong line!!!! Arggh!

I've been sorting my sort material out over the last year [my lockdown project] and went back through my original notes on the Botting family. In my notes I found a note of the Botting-Barden marriage with a reference for what I assumed was the original parish register for Fletching.

The Fletching parish registers are available online on Familysearch and I was able to quickly locate the marriage of John Botting and Sarah Barden.

This showed that [1] both were "of this parish" and [2] that Sarah was a spinster. Her surname looks to be either Bardon or Bardan [maybe Barden] but the record clearly says she is a spinster.

So all my time looking into those Page and associated families was for nothing lol! It looks like I'm back at the drawing board.

Thanks to all those who helped in the past two years, I'm sorry it turned out to be a waste.

Once again I'm open to suggestions to when/where Sarah may have been born.

Matt

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
So sorry. How did we miss it?
It is always a very good idea to go over our research again (and again!)
Witnesses were Richard Marten and John Relfe.
Relfe is undoubtedly a regular :(

You can download the marriage record if you want via their image viewer
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ret/

The banns are available and confirm that Sarah was a spinster
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYLH-57X

Marriage is also transcribed on FreeReg.
Jon

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt and John,

Might be my age but I'm a bit confused  ???  ;D

I don't think the issue of Sarah's marital status at marriage was ever mentioned.

The Page family were introduced by my theory that Sarah (Barden) may have been the daughter of Francis PAGE and his wife Ann. When Francis Page died his widow Ann Page went on to marry a Mr Barden. My theory being that Sarah may have taken the Barden surname on as her own once her mother remarried in Fletching.

So the Page theory could be correct by my thinking.

Best wishes
Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk