Author Topic: Sarah Barden  (Read 5290 times)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Barden
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 May 20 09:46 BST (UK) »
The ancestry mention of the will of John Botting 1803 takes you to the National Archives website

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 May 20 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

I think I may have solved this.

On 18 Feb 1727 in Fletching Francis PAGE married Ann HOMEWOOD.

They had the following children

Ann 1733,  Mary 1730, twins Jane and Edmund 1739 but they also had a daughter SARAH bpt. 22 Feb 1735.

On September 30th 1741 Francis Page was buried.

Five months later (using the Julian calendar still ) on the 23  February 1741 there is this marriage in Fletching

John BARDIN of Maresfield married Ann PAGE of Fletching

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYQ8-ND?i=259&cat=583952

Hope the link works - Francis Pages burial and the Bardin/Page  marriage is on that image.

I think Sarah used the name Bardin/Barden instead of her birth name , what do you think ?

Claire

PS - after looking at a prior post about the abstract of a Will I gave  - it was in the Tyler abstracts on Ancestry

Hi Claire

I wonder if this might be the Ann Homewood in question here:

Anne Homewood christened 21 June 1708 Fletching, Sussex
Father: William Homewood
Mother Jane

She would be about 19 so it seems like a good fit. What do you think?

As for William and Jane there is a marriage dated 9 April 1702 at Fletching but on FamilySearch it only says "William Homewood" and "Jane G" so I don't know what her name is yet.

I'm trying to find a lead on the christenings of both Francis Page and John Bardin but so far no leads, but at the moment I'm only checking via FamilySearch.

Trying to see if I can find marriages or burials for any of the other Page children you mentioned, or the other Homewood children I've found.

This Anne looks like a strong candidate to me. Let me know what you think.

Best Wishes
Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 May 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

The baptism for Ann Homewood looks good given Ann & Francis name a daughter Jane in 1739 - after her mother.

William Homewood married Jane GILHAM or GILLIAM perhaps  - I think that's what it looks like

check here

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYQH-KJ?i=176&cat=583952

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 May 20 23:57 BST (UK) »
I struggled most of the night looking for the Page children but found a marriage for one of the twins - Jane

John Langridge mar. Jane Page 25 Feb 1770 Fletching, Sussex.

This looks like it could be a contender for sister Ann, although she would have been in her fifties at this point.

Edmund Langridge mar. HANNAH Page 4 Mar 1789 Fletching.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 May 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

The baptism for Ann Homewood looks good given Ann & Francis name a daughter Jane in 1739 - after her mother.

William Homewood married Jane GILHAM or GILLIAM perhaps  - I think that's what it looks like

check here

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYQH-KJ?i=176&cat=583952

claire

Hi Claire

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on Ann. I think the names Gilham and Gilliam may be variations of the same so I'll check for her under both.

One thing that does puzzle me is this. Francis Page was buried on 30 September 1741 at Fletching as you said. The marriage of John Bardin to "Ann Page of Fletching" took place on what would be 30 February 1740/41.

What puzzles me is that February 1740/41 would be before September 1741 (if I have got it right).

Is Ann down as a widow on the marriage to John?

I have also found two possible candidates for William Homewood, but I am posting these on a new post.

Best Wishes
Matt

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 May 20 00:57 BST (UK) »
The image for the burial and marriage in 1741 is quite confusing ( I have to keep going over the math to make sure I'm correct - I was looking at this family for hours yesterday ;D)

The image says " A true copy of the parish register of Fletching for the year 1741" - the first day of the year 1741 would be 25th March/Lady Day (using the Julian Calendar) - so - Francis Page was buried six months later in Sept. 1741. John Bardin and Ann Page married the following February (Five months after the burial)

1742 would begin on the 25 March or Lady Day again. We adopted the Gregorian Calendar in 1752 - what we use today.

I think I have solved FRancis - back in a bit ( need a brew)

Claire

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 May 20 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Right there is a Page family baptising children in Fletching c1695 +/- 10 years

Richard Page mar Ann TULLEY a widow by Licence - both of Fletching c1 Feb 1688.

The couple had four children that I can see

Elizabeth bpt. Nov 1688, Richard bpt Aug 1691, Ann bpt. Aug 1695 and Sarah bpt. Feb 1699.

I can't find a son Francis at all.

In 1682 Fletching a William Tulley was baptised son of Francis and Ann Tulley.

I can then see two children baptised in West Hoathly (9 miles from Fletching) - Frances (daughter) in 1684 and a Benjamin bpt 1685.

I still can't find a Francis born to the couple, I cant find a burial for Francis the father yet. The only marriage in a credible distance is in Teston Kent and that is about 30 miles away - Francis Tully married Ann Seale in 1681.

That is as far as I've got but I definitely think the answer to Francis lies here somewhere.

Claire

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 May 20 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Right there is a Page family baptising children in Fletching c1695 +/- 10 years

Richard Page mar Ann TULLEY a widow by Licence - both of Fletching c1 Feb 1688.

The couple had four children that I can see

Elizabeth bpt. Nov 1688, Richard bpt Aug 1691, Ann bpt. Aug 1695 and Sarah bpt. Feb 1699.

I can't find a son Francis at all.

In 1682 Fletching a William Tulley was baptised son of Francis and Ann Tulley.

I can then see two children baptised in West Hoathly (9 miles from Fletching) - Frances (daughter) in 1684 and a Benjamin bpt 1685.

I still can't find a Francis born to the couple, I cant find a burial for Francis the father yet. The only marriage in a credible distance is in Teston Kent and that is about 30 miles away - Francis Tully married Ann Seale in 1681.

That is as far as I've got but I definitely think the answer to Francis lies here somewhere.

Claire

Hi Claire

You're busy tonight, I was about to post a message to your last posing when you added this. I'm sure that the two marriages you found are correct but it does look odd to me date wise. Hopefully when I can see the original parish registers it will make more sense since if the Bardin/Page marriage is in the register after the burial of Francis Page then we know for sure what order the events happened in.

So no luck with finding when Francis was christened then. Maybe he wasn't from Fletching. I've been doing some digging into him myself and I'll keep looking.

More from me soon too.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 May 20 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

A couple of possible leads on William Homewood. There's one christened in Fletching in Oct 1665 son of a John Homewood, and another christened in March 1689 son of another John. It looks like the William christened 1665 is potentially my William, with the William christened in 1689 being his nephew.

I've also found three possible candidates for Jane.

Jane Gilham christened 31 July 1665 Fletching - dau of John and Jane
Jane Gilham christened 23 August 1671 Fletching - dau of George and Elizabeth

Searching with the spelling Gilliam brought up the following, which although not a match may be worth considering given that the surname may have been transcribed wrong:

Jane William christened 13 November 1678 dau of William.

I can't find any burials yet but I think the top two are the most likely. Given that William and Jane called their second son John I'm leading more towards the 1665 christening.

Anyhow that's all from me for now. More tomorrow.

Many Thanks for your help again.

Matt