Author Topic: Help With Surname  (Read 632 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Surname
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 00:39 BST (UK) »
Could you copy more of the text around Margarett's name so we might guess from the context? 
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 00:46 BST (UK) »
Here we go

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 00:58 BST (UK) »
to my sister Margarett   ... she is his sister ?  What's his name ?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 01:05 BST (UK) »
The Will is of Anne Comyns 1622

Their maiden surnames were Litchelade and they were born in London (Margarett) and Surrey (Anne/Agnes )

Devil to try and trace the family at all, very few Litchelade records available.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
Could it be Stratoth ?

Usually when an arcive publishes the fact that they have a Last Will & Testament, all the names mentioned are in the index list pertaining to the item - there must be another surname against the published index.

After surfing I now find this Roman & Greek passage which contains the same word:

"battle against Seleucus in his old age had lately married Stratothe Celtiberians. ...

and this modern phrase:

9 Nov 2015 - During the attack on Fort Washington, Margaret Corbin stood alongside ... the KC-135R Stratothe United States Air Force tanker.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena and all that answered

After trying various ways of spelling STRATOTHE in Boyds Inhabitants of London I think I may have found the answer

An Arthur STARTUSS appears with his wife Margaret LIXLADE - bit different than the spelling I had for her surname  - Lichelade, but I’m sure it’s them.

So thank you so much 😊
Claire

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Rena and all that answered

After trying various ways of spelling STRATOTHE in Boyds Inhabitants of London I think I may have found the answer

An Arthur STARTUSS appears with his wife Margaret LIXLADE - bit different than the spelling I had for her surname  - Lichelade, but I’m sure it’s them.

So thank you so much 😊
Claire

So pleased for you that your problem is solved.

I actually found your Litchelade (Not lichelade) surname yesterday in a website, which seemed to be a list of names in Wills.

I had a look at the second name in your image today, but couldn't find the darned website again to look for a satisfactory equivalent.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke