Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 7th April  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 7th April
« on: Tuesday 07 April 20 23:48 BST (UK) »
As no one has started today's diary I thought I'd write one....

Started by reading the news online to check on how Boris is doing... at least he's not on a ventilator so hope he will start to improve... I was quite worried about it and somehow it was quite a shock to hear he'd been hospitalised.

Had a very lazy morning, started out with good intentions as I was going to do my Yogalates class with our teacher who has put it all online.... but OH was using the laptop all morning to do some work for our accountants as it's the end of the tax year.... so I sat in the sunshine reading!

Finally after lunch we went outside to do some more gardening, it was such a lovely day it does make this isolation more bearable...

The days seem to drft from one to the other and you feel quite rudderless, it's certainly beginning to get to me...

Ah well that's all there is to say...

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 7th April
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 05:29 BST (UK) »
Wonderful morning.

Saw a Blue Tit inspecting our bird box. Very exciting, hopefully they will move in.

Shocked to read the headline in my online newspaper subscription. PM in intensive care. Poor chap.

Modified our order for Asda for tomorrow (I've only modified it the once), and saw things going out of stock before going to the checkout part of the order. No spaghetti, and no pasta at all. They must be under a lot of strain. I added "Large Letter" stamps to the order. Hopefully I can then post a little puzzle book that I bought for my mother.

I tried a new pharmacy who deliver. They said they were going to deliver today, but couldn't give a time slot. So we missed out on our afternoon exercise and waited in. The prescription didn't arrive.

Read more of Samuel Pepys' Diary. Exceptionally good. 

Made Szechuan Chicken for tea.

Cleaned the pipes and the beer engine for the homebrew. Siphoned from the fermenting bin to barrel and installed it in the still. No leaks.

Around 7:30pm, we went for our allotted exercise walk. Getting dark, the roads quiet for a change. Interesting to see things in a different light. Lovely aroma of the fragrance of foliage. The birds cheeping loudly and enthusiastically. We saw two toads in completely different places also going for their evening stroll (or evening hop), and their slug dinner no doubt.

Got back, tried the beer. Completely lifeless and generally not good. It's been stood in the fermenting bin way too long. I'll start off a new batch this week.

Watched a program on the art of Barcelona. Lovely to see a bustling city on the screen full of vitality. Something to look forward to again.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be on a downer but my colleague died today.  She was the life and soul, always full of energy, always the first to try and cheer us up if we were feeling down.  In fact she's probably up there telling us to get a grip, stop crying and get on with it there's work to do and on your break start planning a party for when this is over.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 12:53 BST (UK) »
Oh what awful news; I do feel for you & your colleagues pharmaT.

Sunny here in West Yorkshire. I also saw a blue tit inspecting a box fingers crossed & 2 starlings on feeder - we had a family reared in the gutter last year so hoping for another brood this year.

Sorted out bean poles for wigwams, Mr Josey is finishing the large cold frame with old shower door as hinged lid, so that beans can grow protected from cold nights for a while before going out. He's shopping now, hope he doesn't have to queue too long at Co-op.

Enrolled for the online pilates, zumba classes being provided by usual keep fit teacher. Had an across the road chat with a neighbour,.

Welcomed home one errant cat who appeared for the first time today at 11:30 [think she must have been with someone else this morning!].

U3A French group via Zoom this afternoon, then more gardening.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry to be on a downer but my colleague died today.  She was the life and soul, always full of energy, always the first to try and cheer us up if we were feeling down.  In fact she's probably up there telling us to get a grip, stop crying and get on with it there's work to do and on your break start planning a party for when this is over.

So very sorry to hear that you’ve lost a valued colleague. You are all working so hard for the rest of us and we all need to stay at home to protect you all from this dreadful virus.
My thoughts are with you all

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry to read that news, pharmaT - so much seems fragile and uncertain at present. Do take care.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
Take care pharma T - too many of us are getting far too many phone calls to tell us that those we planned to meet again are gone from us.

Today the sun shone and the weather was warmer and there are still blessings to be counted
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 19:17 BST (UK) »
Adding my condolences PharmaT, such sad news.

I must admit I'm having difficulty remembering what day it is lately but I'm adding my Tuesday entry. I just didn't get round to it on Tuesday.  :)

Beautiful warm, sunny day. Usual stuff in the morning then my friend (who kindly brought me groceries before) rang to say she was going to the shop ad did I need anything. I asked her for fruit and veg but also added hot cross buns. They're in the freezer, I'll wait till the weekend to eat them. Can't remember if the tradition is to eat them on Friday or Sunday, despite being brought up to follow the traditions for each day. Fish on Good Friday, chocolate eggs on Easter Sunday, decorated hard boiled eggs on Easter Monday.

Washed all the wrappers and the fruit and veg, repackaged and threw away wrappers. Was late in going for my walk as a result.

Out in the garden, weeding lawn edging etc. Had a phone call from a friend who told me something that had happened to her that made me laugh more than I had done in a long time. Very much needed in these strange times.

Rootschat, telly, bath and bed.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 19:41 BST (UK) »
Today woke up at 7.30 am and did the usual morning routine. Then went for the 'big shop' a week and a half since the last time I did one. Joined the queue at virtually the same point in the car park that I did on the last visit . Once inside the arrow system was still in operation,  but this time more people were ignoring it and the staff weren't shouting at the wrongdoers. I felt the staff seemed jaded and not their usual upbeat selves which is understandable.
Shelves were well stocked and even got husband some ibuprofen , but no eggs unless I bought a pack of 15! And no flour or tinned pears. Lunch then a post lunch snooze .....not my usual thing but finding I'm doing it more these days , probably because I'm not sleeping as well during the nights.
Afternoon I continued to mend the broken vertical blind from the conservatory. Getting there but it's fiddly. Daily government update at 5 , then tea and now I'll watch some tv as I finished my 1000 piece jigsaw last night.
North East of England