Author Topic: Comber in Ardingly  (Read 1260 times)

Offline EllenBan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Comber in Ardingly
« on: Wednesday 08 April 20 03:14 BST (UK) »
Hello guys,

Today I’m looking for the ancestors of my father-in-law who has roots in Sussex.

A George Fullex(Fullicks,Fullax) married Mary Comber in 1762 in Worth,Sussex. She is from the parish of Ardingly according to the marriage. There’s a baptism for a Mary Comber in Ardingly in 1728 but a Mary Comber married in Ardingly in 1750 so maybe her?

Can someone help? I don’t know when she died but I think she died in Worth Sussex and maybe her age is given ???

Ellen

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Comber in Ardingly
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are two burials at Worth for a Mary Fullicks - one in 1760 which obviously isn't the one you are interested in and one in 1801. No age is given for either.

I would agree that the Mary Comber who married John Harding of West Hoathly in 1750 (BT on Family Search) is the one baptised 1728.

Unfortunately though, Comber is a very common name in that part of Sussex and it is hard to pinpoint the Mary who married George without more clues. There is one baptised in neighbouring West Hoathly in 1735, but her parents are John and Mary and your Mary doesn't give any of her children those names - that wouldn't rule her out necessarily (I haven't checked the SMI to see if there is an obvious marriage for her).

It's always possible Comber wasn't Mary's maiden name and she was a widow when she married?

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EllenBan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 20 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply! The Mary who was born in West Hoathly is a good possibility.

I saw her marriage on familysearch but there was no note that she was a widow of the time of her marriage.

Comber is a common name, you’re right!

Offline EllenBan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 April 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
There are also baptisms for a Mary Comber in Balcombe, not far from Ardingly, possibility?

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 April 20 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hello guys,

Today I’m looking for the ancestors of my father-in-law who has roots in Sussex.

A George Fullex(Fullicks,Fullax) married Mary Comber in 1762 in Worth,Sussex. She is from the parish of Ardingly according to the marriage. There’s a baptism for a Mary Comber in Ardingly in 1728 but a Mary Comber married in Ardingly in 1750 so maybe her?

Can someone help? I don’t know when she died but I think she died in Worth Sussex and maybe her age is given ???

Ellen

According to the Sussex Marriage Index the Mary who married John Harding at Ardingly in 1750 was Mary COMBRIDGE, not Comber, although there doesn't appear to be a relevant birth in Ardingly.  This only leaves the 1762 marriage as a possibility.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline EllenBan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile