Author Topic: Elizabeth Smith (nee Purdy/Howard)  (Read 1020 times)

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ELIZABETH SMITH (nee PURDY/HOWARD)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 April 20 03:01 BST (UK) »
Marriage of George and Elizabeth, both made their mark.
Death of William Purdy in the column for minister and witnesses it is written by the same person, the Church of England minister, certified by the coroner inflamation of the lungs. Trove has a report. These certs obtained by me in 1986/89. The Hay death for Elizabeth Smith, I obtained the transcription some time ago and it is not the right one, just cannot put my hand to it at the moment. I contacted the  person who has it on Ancestry but she was not interested in changing it, still hasn't. I have a transcription of the one in Goulburn obtained last  year thinking she and George may have gone back to Goulburn but no, someone else.
Do not have the actual date for Jacob's birth/bap just the  year. He married Hannah Whitely in 1857 and at some time was also in Goulburn and then disappeared from any records I searched. When I was in UK years ago I spent many hours tracing the Purdy lot so have them going back a long way in Batley Yorks. Every now and then I bring Elizabeth up again hoping her death will pop out for me hence my posts to lovely rootschatters who may have a different slant on researching. Unfortunately my vision isn't as good as it could be so it takes a while to get into stuff, but the brain overworks and keeps thinking. Thanks so far for all the questions and ideas so far.
something to work on during this difficult time. William Purdy and Elizabeth's son Levi had a daughter Jemima Elizabeth (1857-1957) so the name was carried on there making me think the family still held her memory. Every now and then I think did she marry again, not sure if I have checked that but sure I would have .
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 April 20 03:33 BST (UK) »
NSW Electoral Roll 1870 THE ARGYLE  (24 males surnamed SMITH,)
George SMITH, senior, Oak Farm, Freehold Towrang
George SMITH, junior, Oak Farm, residence, Towrang
George SMITH, Rhyanna, residence, Rhyanna
George SMITH, Murray's Flats, residence, Murray's Flats
NO LISTING FOR PURDY.

NSW ER 1870 GOULBURN
None listed as George SMITH, but 10 males listed with surname SMITH
NO LISTING FOR PURDY

Grevilles Post Office Directory 1875, GOULBURN
George Smith, gardener, Towrang

NSW ER 1878 ARGYLE (31 males surnamed SMITH)
George SMITH, senior, Oak Farm, Freehold, Towrang
George SMITH, Murray's Flats, residence

NSW ER 1878 GOULBURN (13 males surnamed SMITH)
George SMITH, Sloane Street, residence, Goulburn
George SMITH, Bourke Street, household, Goulburn
George SMITH, Bourke Street, household, Goulburn
George Smith, Auburn Street, residence, Goulburn
YES, I CONFIRM, four listings for George SMITH chaps. 

NSW ER 1878 NEWTOWN
George SMITH, freehold, Thomas street, Redfern
George SMITH, household, O'Connell street, Newtown
George SMITH, junior, residence, O'Connell street, Newtown

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 April 20 03:58 BST (UK) »
NSW ER 1870 CENTRAL CUMBERLAND, and the Liverpool Police district...
Alexander SMITH, household, Collingwood.

... perhaps of interest
same ER, George PURDAE, freehold, Government Paddock. 

If you come across families in that era associated with the Paper mill at Collingwood, I may have some bdm 'wallpaper' transcriptions to share... ::)  There was a Mrs Pike as a midwife in the 1870s...  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 April 20 05:18 BST (UK) »
Re George SMITH as a named witness on the 1874 d.c. for William PURDY... burial Liverpool.   I think you will find that George SMITH was simply a representative of the funeral director.  I have gone through a collection of NSW death certs for that decade and not found a pattern to suggest official witnesses were family/friends.  I have phoned a rellie, retired NSW BDM senior  officer, and he concurs,  the coffin lid would be sealed long before arriving at the cemetery, so the official witness section on NSW certs from as early as 1856 is meant to be giving info about the burial and was provided by the undertaker. 

JM

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 April 20 07:14 BST (UK) »
This doesn't help with the death of Elizabeth and you probably have them anyway, from TROVE

August 1859
Birth notice for daughter of William PURDY - Sarah A, at Grafton St Goulburn. (Someone has added the name "Elizabeth" to the transcript.)
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/118246445

November 1863
Birth Notice for a daughter, at 1 Jenkin St, no suburb named but this was the address given for William in a couple of Sands Directories.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13096059

April 1865
Birth Notice for a son, Jenkins st, Sydney
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13102596

I note also that there was another William PURDY in Sydney at around the same time.  This William PURDY was a boatswain,living in Balmain with a wife and six children who died as a result of an accident in June 1868.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60854285

Did his brother Jacob return to the UK? I don't see much for him (in NSW anyway) after his marriage to Hannah Whitely in 1857, but is mentioned in the 1855 immigration record for William and Elizabeth.  Suggestion on an online tree has him back in Rochdale and there is an 1871 census showing a Jacob (plasterer) and Hannah PURDY in Rochdale. (Just being nosey!)

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 08:16 BST (UK) »
Think I will put her on the burner once again. Next thing was I could go through all the NSW deaths 1874-1900 and check Ryerson index but it is a mammoth job just a hunch! Thanks a million for suggestions much appreciated. I will leave topic open for a while.
Maxine
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.