Author Topic: George Alfred Stocks died New Hampshire 1893  (Read 544 times)

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Alfred Stocks died New Hampshire 1893
« on: Wednesday 08 April 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have a missing Great x 2 Grandad, George Stocks, born August 1856, in Halifax, West Yorks.

Whilst searching on Ancestry I found the details of a George Alfred Stocks, who died in Manchester, Hillsborough, New Hampshire in 1893, and is listed as being married to my Great x 2 Grandmother.

I know my Great x 2 Grandad, goes missing after 1884, so in theory it could be him, and the person who researched the tree, knew of the connection, or emmigration perhaps, and I just not have uncovered this information yet, but it also links this George to Lincolnshire, and I believe my George had no links there.

According to familysearch, George Alfred Stocks father on the death certificate is listed as John Anderson, but this might be an informant perhaps, but it lists his birth as Conn,so Connecticut perhaps, which if true, rules it out being my George.

I would be happier if I could find George Alfred Stocks on an 1891 census in New Hampshire to confirm where here was born.

Does anyone have any thoughts please?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Alfred Stocks died New Hampshire 1893
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 16:39 BST (UK) »
There is no 1891 census in the US.  The US does the census on the years ending in -0, and unfortunately the 1890 census was almost entirely destroyed due to a fire.

The image of the 1893 death record says he died in a Womans Aid Home, was born Conn., and John Anderson is in the space for name of father.  The place of burial looks like Pine Grove P.G.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
There is a burial record for him here - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-958D-QJNB?i=1756&cc=1930346&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQPJQ-N44N  I looked at other Stocks in that cemetery, but none seem to be buried with/near him.

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply, and the transcription.

I had a look on the 1880 census for a George Stocks in Connecticut and he didnt seem to be there, nor in New Hampshire.

I found a John Anderson on the 1900 US census, who worked in a Cotton Mill, in the Manchester, Hillsborough area,so at a stretch,he could have been a work colleague as opposed to George's Dad,but hard to know.

There was an immigration record of a George Stock in 1886, which could be him, but it not concrete either.

Thanks again.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 18:54 BST (UK) »
The 1893 Manchester city directory has this:

Stocks, Georgie A.  house 139 Pearl

No other Stocks listed at that address in there. 

The 1890, 1891, and 1892 Manchester directories don't have any George/Georgie Stocks listed.

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 19:29 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FH5H-7LF

Hello,

I hope the above link works.

I just found a marriage of a Georgie Hutchinson, to a John Stocks in Mass, who son dies in Manchester, NH in 1889. Georgie's Father is listed as a John Anderson.

So is the burial I thought was my George, actually a Lady, called Georgie Stocks? I think the A, is actually a H.

Offline SnowyHog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 19:32 BST (UK) »
I think its a mistranscription error.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 20:14 BST (UK) »
You may be right.  I thought the Womens Aid Home was an odd place for a man to die, but sometimes places just have names that stick with them under different circumstances.  She may have used the A from Anderson as a middle initial.

There is a son of John & Georgie who died in Manchester, so that fits the location.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FDJY-7RP