Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)  (Read 11854 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 9 - Lockdown)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 19:53 BST (UK) »
What was that the Gov keeps telling us?

Stay at Home?
Social Distancing?

https://www.devonlive.com/news/local-news/fury-convoy-caravans-dog-involved-4032319

What a bunch of morons! >:(
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 20:46 BST (UK) »
Perhaps insurance companies need to step in and say that for the time being your car insurance only covers essential journeys - i.e for food, medical or work. So if you have an accident, or are stopped by the police, whilst doing anything but these, you count as uninsured and can have your car taken away as well as being fined. Might make people think a bit more.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
I think that would be very difficult to administer, most people would just say that they were going to the supermarket.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 20:56 BST (UK) »
I think that would be very difficult to administer, most people would just say that they were going to the supermarket.

Not if they were caught 20 miles in the opposite direction!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 21:07 BST (UK) »
I’ve today been told I must do a twenty mile round trip to the “clean” surgery, for my routine blood test.

Seems I stay in the car park and stick my arm thro the window.

Mike

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 22:42 BST (UK) »

Not if they were caught 20 miles in the opposite direction!

Or completly outwith opening times.  I think it is a good idea tbh although I can forsee issues, you know what insurance companies are like for trying to avoid payouts.  My local council took a while to decide whether I counted as a proper keyworker or not so I can see insurance doing the same.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 23:08 BST (UK) »
The thing is, sometimes the people judging others are often popping into their local shop getting a newspaper thinking there's nowt wrong with it.

The problem being is the "What's the harm in it?" attitude.

If the general population  stay home and only go out for essential food or medicine, and as seldom as possible, and only when essential; go out otherwise only for one form of exercise (walking, running, cycling) in your locality, when passing people keeping a social distance of at least 2 metres (6ft), then the risks are massively minimised.

Any time any of these things are ignored or skewed in any way is when the virus can capitalize on it and transfer from host to victim and onwards.

In one day, today, I have seen one builder, a very sociable one in our area, in very close proximity today with five groups of people. In one case a woman was rubbing suncream (I presume) into his face and his workmate, then rubbing the excess on herself. All these groups of people are known  to us, not daft or stupid, but unfortunately through natural human behaviour, lapse into forgetting the current situation briefly. 

If we all abided to the instructions then we would be in a much safer place.

The devil is the "What's the harm in it?"
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 April 20 05:42 BST (UK) »
What was that the Gov keeps telling us?

Stay at Home?
Social Distancing?

https://www.devonlive.com/news/local-news/fury-convoy-caravans-dog-involved-4032319

What a bunch of morons! >:(

It is very easy to judge without knowing the facts.
Could the convoy be travellers who have been threatened with action if they did not move from where they were staying before?
Could the caravan that overturned belong to a family going to a funeral who had thought of others and decided to stop in their own caravan rather than at a hotel and possibly out the hotel staff at risk?

There are hundreds of reasons for having to move but instead people prefer to take the easy option and be judgemental.

That helps no one!

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 April 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
This isn't a political question but a practical one. Have seen on a news article think it was on sky news app on my phone that Australia have far fewer deaths than the uk and many other countries. The article said part of the reason was where Australia was located in the world, that they had more time to react to the virus and that they quarantined folk coming into the country earlier than others did.
However it didn't seem to say that the uk should have done X, y or z. As we have many folk in Australia on rc, what do they think about why they have far fewer deaths?  I'd just like to understand better,  not play a blame game or call for people to resign,  as some of the journalists seem to go for.
Thanks.
North East of England