Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)  (Read 11852 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 9 - Lockdown)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 April 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
I hope my insurance company is considering a big discount this year as the car has hardly been used!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 April 20 10:48 BST (UK) »
This isn't a political question but a practical one. Have seen on a news article think it was on sky news app on my phone that Australia have far fewer deaths than the uk and many other countries. The article said part of the reason was where Australia was located in the world, that they had more time to react to the virus and that they quarantined folk coming into the country earlier than others did.
However it didn't seem to say that the uk should have done X, y or z. As we have many folk in Australia on rc, what do they think about why they have far fewer deaths?  I'd just like to understand better,  not play a blame game or call for people to resign,  as some of the journalists seem to go for.
Thanks.

There was one theory that when the weather got warmer, Northern Hemisphere countries would see less severe symptoms and possible less spread of infection - like the common cold and seasonal flu is much less in summer. Australia would be warm in Feb and March, maybe that has something to do with it
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 April 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
This isn't a political question but a practical one. Have seen on a news article think it was on sky news app on my phone that Australia have far fewer deaths than the uk and many other countries. The article said part of the reason was where Australia was located in the world, that they had more time to react to the virus and that they quarantined folk coming into the country earlier than others did.
However it didn't seem to say that the uk should have done X, y or z. As we have many folk in Australia on rc, what do they think about why they have far fewer deaths?  I'd just like to understand better,  not play a blame game or call for people to resign,  as some of the journalists seem to go for.
Thanks.

Well it's hard to tell as there is no controlled study to compare approaches.

However:

1. There were no checks on people coming in on flights even from hotspot areas.  There still aren't  so people were going on public transport etc

2. Self isolation advice was very vague in the early days and many still don't get it eg I was told by someone who'd had symptoms "I did self isolate I went to the corner shop instead of the big supermarket" so we really have no way of knowing how compliant people were with the advice

3. They were still announcing there was no community spread when it was clear there was.

4. We have a low testing rate in the UK, I'd be interested to know the impact on spread

5. In the UK we have a high threshold for admission to hospital I would like a study to do a comparison between our policy and that in other countries

6. Our lockdown was relatively late in terms of where we were in the outbreak it is also relatively wooly in terms of how it is worded and has been enforced really unevenly so  advice is not being adhered to helping spread.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 April 20 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

One reason could be due to the fact there are two strains of Covid-19 the L-type and the S-type the L-type is suggested to be more aggressive. Both types seem to have spread across the world but it is possible if a country has more of one type and less of another the effect will be different even if the same counter measures are taken.
Really it is not yet possible to know what the most effective measures are to control the pandemic, that will come at a later time when all the facts are known.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 April 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

I suppose one reason could be the population of Australia is relatively quite small and widespread.

I read an article that suggests that the amount of virus you are take in may have an affect on the severity of the illness.  There is also suggestion  that genetics might also play a part.

Comparisons are difficult to make with different countries because its been dealt with in different ways. Being tested doesn't affect a person outcome after contracting the illness, but using the info more proactively to track, trace and isolate seems to affect the populations outcome!

I wait with baited breath the final outcome for Sweden and their approach!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 April 20 11:43 BST (UK) »
I think maybe fewer people per square kilometre in the populated areas, a lower population overall, and lots of isolated communities in Australia might have something to do with it. It is still early days though. We are a couple of weeks behind other countries so we have a chance to look at what other countries have done and learn from that.

The toll would have been lower if a cruise ship laden with infected passengers was not allowed to dock and the passengers disperse into the community. Several passengers from this ship have died. It is the subject of a current investigation.

Most cases are based in NSW and borders have been closedown prevent People moving from NSW to other states.  Tasmania closed weeks ago.

Easter long weekend is coming up and it is traditionally a time for families to go away, camping and such so despite advise to stay home, there will be those who ignore this, and it may lead to more spread. Substantial fines have been introduced as a deterrent.

Our winter is coming up, weather is already a bit cooler, and although most areas don’t see winters as harsh as the UK, it can get cold, and there is always lots of colds and flu about ... so the double whammy of flu and coronavirus is a concern.

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 April 20 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pharma .. your posts are always measured, balanced,logical and informative!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 April 20 11:55 BST (UK) »
The Scottish Government, after recommending vitamin D supplements to keep folk out of hospital, is being pressed by experts to go further with a supply delivered to every household for the duration of the pandemic. We don't get enough sunshine at the best of times & even less with this lockdown.

Skoosh.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 April 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott