Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)  (Read 11843 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: State of Emergency Covid-19 (Part 9 - Lockdown)
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 09 April 20 16:05 BST (UK) »
Guy, in Scotland you're not encouraged to drive anywhere for exercise. The National Parks are closed, the mountain bothies are closed & the Mountain Rescue teams are a skeleton only. The guys are away helping distribute food etc, to folk in remote places as public transport is pretty minimal. Calmac are turning away non-essential vehicles trying to get to the islands.  The west-coast fishery is closed pro-tem & the tourist season is written-off this year as far as can be forseen.
 In Glasgow the parks are open for exercise but the car-parks have been closed by the Polis who are monitoring folks behaviour. Easter will be interesting!! 

Skoosh.

Skoosh, Scotland is covered by the same law as England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, that is the Coronavirus Act 2020.
Whilst people in Scotland are not being advised to drive for exercise it is allowed.

Scottish Statutory Instruments
2020 No. 103

Public Health
The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Restrictions) (Scotland) Regulations 2020

Is virtually the same as the English Statutory Instrument no 350
The relevant section of reasons to leave home is set out in section 5 below

“(5) In paragraph (4), a reasonable excuse includes the need—

(a)to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for a vulnerable person and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household or the household of a vulnerable person, or to obtain money,

(b)to take exercise, either alone or with other members of their household,

(c)to seek medical assistance, including to access any of the services referred to in paragraph 37 or 38 of schedule 1,

(d)to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person, including to provide emergency assistance,

(e)to donate blood,

(f)to travel for the purposes of work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living,

(g)to attend a funeral of—

(i)a member of the person’s household,

(ii)a close family member, or

(iii)if no-one within sub-paragraphs (i) or (ii) are attending, a friend,

(h)to fulfil a legal obligation, including attending court or satisfying bail conditions, or to participate in legal proceedings,

(i)to access critical public services, including—

(i)childcare or educational facilities (where these are still available to the child in relation to whom that person is the parent of, or has parental responsibility for or care of, the child),

(ii)social services,

(iii)services provided by the Department of Work and Pensions,

(iv)services provided to victims (such as victims of crime),

(j)in relation to children who do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents, to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children, and for the purposes of this paragraph, “parent” includes a person who is not a parent of the child, but who has parental responsibility for, or who has care of, the child,

(k)in the case of a minister of religion or worship leader, to go to their place of worship,

(l)to move house where reasonably necessary,

(m)to avoid injury, illness or to escape a risk of harm.”

I would also suggest that any Scottish Court would take heed of the advice given by Matt Hancock (Secretary of State for Health and Social Care ) as elements of his job covers the same matters Scotland, even if they are not bound by his advice they would have to explain why that advice was not good advice.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 09 April 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
I was just watching Sky News doing an item on police getting tougher on groups of people out and about and showing them in London last weekend moving people on who just seem to be exercising.

Whilst I know why they're doing it, I'm in two minds about this:

1. I can't help but wonder why - in 'normal' times - the police are usually not interested in responding to complaints of youths hanging around and causing trouble. Why the discrepancy? It seems comparably much easier to move the exercisers on than it does troublesome yobs - is that the reason? Too much trouble? This leads me to my second thought/fear:

2. Is all this over-policing stuff going to stop once the crisis is over? I'm worried it'll become the norm and we will be stopped and asked where we're going, what we're doing etc. I don't want to live in a police state, and I wonder why we're suddenly seeing so many police out and about (i.e. on foot) when they'd become a less common sight than Greta Garbo in her heyday!!

My natural state is to add humour to a situation but I do actually find this quite worrying.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 09 April 20 16:45 BST (UK) »
Guy, in Scotland you're not encouraged to drive anywhere for exercise, so walk. You're allowed to drive to get the rations in and that's about it! The National Parks are closed, the mountain bothies are closed & the Mountain Rescue teams are a skeleton only, so keep off the hills. The guys are away helping distribute food etc, to folk in remote places anyway as public transport is pretty minimal. Calmac's ferries are turning away non-essential vehicles trying to get to the islands.  The west-coast fishery is closed pro-tem & the tourist season is written-off this year as far as can be forseen.
 In Glasgow the parks are open for exercise but the car-parks have been closed by the Polis who are monitoring folks behaviour. Swing-parks are closed ditto the municipal golf courses & libraries. Easter will be interesting!! 

Skoosh.

To the best of my knowledge Calmac are turning away anyone who is not local to the island or peninsula where appropriate.  The exception being an ambulance or food deliveries.  Locals are being encouraged to make the trip a maximum of weekly unless they've registered as keyworkers on the mainland. They have someone checking at the terminals.  Just to clarify I have not been on a ferry since lockdown, nor have a tried to but I pass the terminal on the way to work and have colleagues who commute by ferry.  We have lost our local bus service so our bosses have had to coordinate transport for those who don't drive.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 09 April 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
I watched three officers this morning chasing motorists who intended parking on the road near the park and walking in as the car park is closed. Police Scotland would make short work of this Matt Hancock!  People are not permitted to visit their caravans/holiday homes for any reason, hence the furore over Scotland's Health Officer who had to resign & has to report herself to the Health Board for ignoring her own advice! I won't get anywhere near my holiday home until this is all over!

Skoosh.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 09 April 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
I watched three officers this morning chasing motorists who intended parking on the road near the park and walking in as the car park is closed. Police Scotland would make short work of this Matt Hancock!

Skoosh.

I haven't been stopped once on the way to work but my colleagues tell me that the police were pulling people over to check where they were going on Tuesday evening.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 09 April 20 17:13 BST (UK) »
Pharma I didn't realise you were a teuchter? ;D  The Health officer resigning was a sad business, she was a good useful person and top of her game. She apologised profusely and didn't deserve the hammering she got online!
 Filling your boot with messages won't wash with the Polis, if you're miles from home and potentially taking the virus with you. I can walk to the Coop & butcher so the car hasn't moved. Maybe Monday to the Aldi as I hear Toro Loco is under £4.

Bests & Slainte'
Skoosh.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 09 April 20 17:15 BST (UK) »
I agree with pharmaT and Skoosh regarding what we are being advised to do or not do in Scotland.

Perhaps if more people adhered to the guidelines issued no matter which part of the UK they live in we will be able to save more lives and come through this epidemic safely.

These people who are not listening and doing their own thing regardless are putting their own lives, those of their families, friends and the courageous frontline workers at risk.

No-one needs to take their car for a walk to exercise that is ridiculous. If you live in a built up area just walk round the block.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 09 April 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
Cheers Dorrie, I have ordered that Bruce book recommended in the National, it will fill a few hours!

Keep Safe!
Skoosh.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 09 April 20 17:30 BST (UK) »
Yes that book looks good might order a copy myself Skoosh.

Ma man is over state pension age and our lassie was giving him it tight the other week about still going out for his paper every day. Luckily we found a wee shop up the road who is delivering his National. Grumpy auld man now smiling.

Take care,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife