Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)  (Read 11850 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 16:29 BST (UK) »
T'was ever thus!! Idiots abound!

I'm putting my hope in the scientists. I think that's the only way out of this predicament for all of us. I read an article in the paper at the weekend about a lady scientist - (Jane Something, I think - I've recycled the newspaper and can't now find her on google. Typical!) who thinks they are getting closer to a vaccine and is urging the powers that be to start manufacturing the vaccine and not wait until after the tests are done. As she says, there's going to be nothing more frustrating than discovering it works and then taking months more to make the stuff. I suppose you could say that's chucking good money away but I agree, in this case, we've got to just go for it. Do the tests, of course, but then be ready to get going with the vaccines immediately. If it doesn't work - at least we tried.

I just can't see any other way. Whenever they let us out of our voluntary imprisonment, the damn virus isn't going to go away and I fear we'll just be back to square one with hundreds more people dying. I also don't think you can expect people to come out of quarantine, yet be expected to go about their (reasonably) normal lives and still maintain this social distancing. You just can't do it on public transport, in pubs and restaurants etc.

In my opinion, the reason why the government won't tell us what their isolation exit plan is, is because they haven't got one. It has to be all or nothing or we may just as well not have bothered in the first place.

I take comfort in the fact that scientists around the world are concentrating their efforts on this and , by and large, unlike governments, they're not opposed to consulting each other. There are some extremely clever scientists out there - power to their collective elbows!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
jillruss,

I think it will be done in stages tbh.  Maybe reopen schools first, gradually reopen workplaces by redefining the list of what can be open, continue to promote home working where this is possible, bars and restaurants will be the last to reopen other than maybe package holidays that is.  We need to hold onto the through that as the number of those infected falls (it will eventually even though it doesn't feel like it right now) the reservoir of infection ie the opportunities to become infected will fall so it will get back to the stage where test, treat, trace and isolate will be possible (numbers are just too big right now to be fully effective).  At least that's the sensible approach in imo don't know if we can actually achieve that right now
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:01 BST (UK) »
I suppose we've got the advantage in that, because we're behind countries like Italy in the course of the virus, we can take note of what happen there and see if it works.

We still have to find an effective test and to see if and for how long a person who may have been infected by it remains immune to getting it again. As far as I can tell, that test is not nearly ready.

On another note - have you watched any of Mr Trump's news updates to the nation? They're embarrassingly awful. He doesn't seem to own a shred of empathy; everything is turned around to be all about him and how great he is. Surely, even those who supported him thus far, must see now what the man is really like?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
A small but highly relevant point is hat the UK doesn't publish figures for those who have recovered so that what we get is the total of all of those who have ever caught the virus. This is always going to be a much scarier figure than that for those currently infected. For example if you look at Austria, as it is starting to reopen today, you can see that there has been a total of 14,185 infections of which only 6,168 are currently still infected. Even Spain with its high 172,541 infections actually has the much lower figure of 86.981 active cases. The source for these figures is:- https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

For those who like to play around with statistics very detailed information is available for Scotland at the following site - note that it shows numbers recovered albeit it is an estimated figure:- https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
A small but highly relevant point is hat the UK doesn't publish figures for those who have recovered so that what we get is the total of all of those who have ever caught the virus. This is always going to be a much scarier figure than that for those currently infected. For example if you look at Austria, as it is starting to reopen today, you can see that there has been a total of 14,185 infections of which only 6,168 are currently still infected. Even Spain with its high 172,541 infections actually has the much lower figure of 86.981 active cases. The source for these figures is:- https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

For those who like to play around with statistics very detailed information is available for Scotland at the following site - note that it shows numbers recovered albeit it is an estimated figure:- https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

There are sources that record the total number of confirmed cases.  What I'd like to see added to the briefing is though.  The number of patients stepped down from ITU to general ward, the numbers discharged and the numbers recovered.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:16 BST (UK) »
The WHO list patients who are presumed to have recovered.
That is patients who have tested positive, but no longer need hospital treatment - otherwise they would have come back to hospital?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:17 BST (UK) »
I agree PharmaT, I think that would give us all more hope.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
Pharma these figures are on the Scottish site that I gave the address of and the good news is that it does show a reduction in the numbers of those in hospital and a reduction also of the numbers in intensive care. These are very small reductions but at least the figures are going in the right direction. I am not sure if it would be correct to infer that a similar pattern applies throughout the UK, but trying to analyse the UK figures (using running averages) I think that we are starting to move in the right direction. I do however wish that the Government and/or media would put a bit more effort into putting across the good news figures as well as the bad. I am sure that the mood of the whole country would be improved by realising that it is not all bad news. Personally I have almost given up watching the news and reading newspapers , preferring to go to the source figures and work it out for myself.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
Pharma these figures are on the Scottish site that I gave the address of and the good news is that it does show a reduction in the numbers of those in hospital and a reduction also of the numbers in intensive care. These are very small reductions but at least the figures are going in the right direction. I am not sure if it would be correct to infer that a similar pattern applies throughout the UK, but trying to analyse the UK figures (using running averages) I think that we are starting to move in the right direction. I do however wish that the Government and/or media would put a bit more effort into putting across the good news figures as well as the bad. I am sure that the mood of the whole country would be improved by realising that it is not all bad news. Personally I have almost given up watching the news and reading newspapers , preferring to go to the source figures and work it out for myself.

The admission rate in Scotland does appear to have stabilised.  The figures I have seen seem to show a slightly steeper climb in figures in England, similar rate of increase in Wales and slightly slower climb in NI.