Author Topic: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)  (Read 11756 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Stay Home Stay Safe (Part 9)
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
What would concern me with allowing certain categories of people out of lockdown/back to work before others is where you have a household with mixed age groups. Lets say for example a mum and dad with pre existing health conditions and two grown up working children. The children could be allowed to return to their jobs whilst their parents may be in the group that have to wait a bit longer. Worst case scenario one of the children are then infected with the virus and pass it on to their parents.

I would appreciate your views on this.

Take Care,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 17:40 BST (UK) »
That would be a worry.  I have childcare issues atm because it feels too risky to be able to be in contact with my mum because I'm going to work and the children are in contact with me.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 18:01 BST (UK) »
Dorrie, there is no easy answer to your question. Those who have reason to keep themselves out of harms way must be allowed to do so as lockdown ends. Where the household contains vulnerable people then the answer could be to exempt the able bodied from returning to work until they have had an antibody test. If antibodies are present there is no problem, a major reassurance to the vulnerable. If there are no antibodies and the virus is still active in society then they will either have to make special arrangements to return to work or where possible continue to work from home.

There are regular suggestions that the numbers infected are far higher than the official figures (BBC Scotland claims by a factor of 100 in Scotland). This would also be good news as it would suggest a much higher community immunity figure than originally envisaged, thereby greatly reducing your chances of coming into contact with the virus. The fact that so many younger people seem to get the virus without ever being aware that they have had it is an interesting feature of this infection but it sure muddies the waters in trying to work out where we are all going.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Online pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 18:16 BST (UK) »
Dorrie, there is no easy answer to your question. Those who have reason to keep themselves out of harms way must be allowed to do so as lockdown ends. Where the household contains vulnerable people then the answer could be to exempt the able bodied from returning to work until they have had an antibody test. If antibodies are present there is no problem, a major reassurance to the vulnerable. If there are no antibodies and the virus is still active in society then they will either have to make special arrangements to return to work or where possible continue to work from home.

There are regular suggestions that the numbers infected are far higher than the official figures (BBC Scotland claims by a factor of 100 in Scotland). This would also be good news as it would suggest a much higher community immunity figure than originally envisaged, thereby greatly reducing your chances of coming into contact with the virus. The fact that so many younger people seem to get the virus without ever being aware that they have had it is an interesting feature of this infection but it sure muddies the waters in trying to work out where we are all going.

Yes as they are only testing those who are admitted to hospital overnight (they've now started staff testing to try and get them back to work) by definition only the most ill proportion of people will be confirmed as having Covid.  Experiences from other countries shows that a significant proportion of people won't need hospital treatment so many, actually most cases are likely to be missed.  GIven we have a high threshold for admission to hospital that proportion could be even higher than in other countries.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 18:25 BST (UK) »
Pharma T -  Childcare issues are a problem for many working in hospitals and the community and I hope you have managed to resolve it. My niece is a Community Nurse with a 13 and a 6 year old. Luckily she has a step son who lives with her and he is at home because College is closed so when she is on duty he looks after the youngsters.

sonofthom - Yes it is a very complex question to which there is no easy answer. I feel that a lot of people will make their own decisions when the time comes to slowly come out of lockdown. Thank you for your input.

Take care,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 19:36 BST (UK) »
I read an article in the paper at the weekend about a lady scientist - (Jane Something, I think - I've recycled the newspaper and can't now find her on google. Typical!) who thinks they are getting closer to a vaccine and is urging the powers that be to start manufacturing the vaccine and not wait until after the tests are done. As she says, there's going to be nothing more frustrating than discovering it works and then taking months more to make the stuff.

That sounds like an article I read in Saturday's Times, which hasn't quite made it to our recycling yet - you're obviously tidier than me! The subject of that article was Professor Sarah Gilbert of Oxford University; there's a lot of research going on there, which you can read about at

https://www.research.ox.ac.uk/Area/coronavirus-research
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Tuesday 14 April 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.