Author Topic: grandfather Jack Pugh before year 1918  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Annette Pugh Casanova

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
grandfather Jack Pugh before year 1918
« on: Wednesday 08 April 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
I am at the point of believing maybe even his name isn't correct. We do know we are Pugh's from DNA.
On his application for SS he listed Will Pugh and Lula Nobles as his parents. He states he was born in Al. on 7 Dec 1898. He always told us he had been raised by a grandfather that was cruel to him and he was accused of stealing and beaten when he was around 13. He left home to never return. He ended up in Sour Lake, Texas and surrounding areas where he lived till he passed in 1959. There are two male cousins listed in Sour Lake that came from Al. Of course, they have also passed. I haven't found any early information for Jack/John born in Dec. 1898. I am always praying there is someone that has heard of him.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: grandfather Jack Pugh before year 1918
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 21:35 BST (UK) »
I think you've posted on the wrong board so a moderator will likely move this thread (likely the U.S. board). Is Al= Alabama? We've members here from all over the world and it's easy to forget that not everyone reading your post will know where the places are located.

There are two male cousins listed in Sour Lake that came from Al. Of course, they have also passed.
Listed where? how do you know they are cousins?

If he was born 1898 and the story about leaving home when 13 is true he would hopefully appear in 1900 and 1910 census records with family members.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the marriage certificate to see what details he supplied at the time? His 1918 WWI draft card lists birth year as 1897 not 1898 (he would have given this information) unlike the death certificate. WWII draft card says 1898 born Montgomery, Alabama.

There's an online Ancestry tree which gives birth as 7 Dec.1898 Mobile, Alabama and parents as William Lewis Pugh & Lula Nobles. A 2nd marriage was in 1923. Loads of relatives there along with multiple marriages, half-siblings, etc.  and Ancestry's a subscription site. Since libraries are closed now you might have to wait a bit to get details unless you've already a subscription.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 22:44 BST (UK) »
I have a Pugh cousin that spoke to relatives of the cousins in Sour Lake. Since that time they have also passed. I am a member of Ancestry and possibly the tree information you checked was mine or my cousin. I have checked every 1900 census under the names of Jack, John earlier and later birth year by 7 Dec and in other states that he might have traveled from Al. to arrive in Texas. Because we can't find anything to prove his parents or dates and can't be positive of what is listed. He couldn't read or write so usually someone else put his name. If you look none really look the same. My grandmother Nannie Carroll his second marriage taught him to sign his name in later years. I have emailed sites in Montgomery looking for any information. All older records were burned in the Civil War. My only hope is a family bible or stories from a family member. My cousin even made a trip to Pike Rd. in Alabama and spoke with Pugh's that still lived there and noone remembered him. I do have a few pictures of him taken in the late 1940's or early 1950's.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 20 13:27 BST (UK) »
HI,

Are you able to provide the names / more details of the 2 male cousins from Alabama who were in Sour Lake?

Cheers,
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
MyHeritage are running Free US Census records for this weekend if that helps
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 April 20 13:53 BST (UK) »
Here are some I made earlier  :D

Jack married Thelma REESE in 1918.

Thelma with her parents Henry and Minnie in 1910:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YBW-PZ3

Jack and Thelma in 1920 (indexed as 'PEN' but I think it is 'PEW'):

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRXK-FY8

He says he was born in Texas.

Jack with Nannie/Nancy CARROLL in 1930, he is born Alabama and only knows that his parents were born in the United States.  He says he can read and write.  I cannot see a marriage for them.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RCF-L4N

Jack in 1940, again born Alabama.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89MY-8JRM

I would say he definitely signed his draft registration card in 1918.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GYYB-9QZ1

Debra  :)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:54 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the marriage license of Jack & Nannie Pugh. They were married in Tx. The names of the 2 cousins are Marshall Columbus (Lum) Pugh and Joseph Pugh. They are brothers from John Wesley Pugh.
Thelma Reese and Jack Pugh were divorced. I have the papers for that also. As far as Jack being able to read and write I am going by what my dad Linsey L. Pugh always told me about his dad. He said he would bring papers home and my grandma would read them to him. I have checked the 1900 & 1910 census for Montgomery County and can't find anything to suggest he lived with any of the Pugh's.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 April 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
I have emailed sites in Montgomery looking for any information. All older records were burned in the Civil War. My only hope is a family bible or stories from a family member.
Civil War was long before the period you need to search for records.

I am a member of Ancestry and possibly the tree information you checked was mine or my cousin.
If it was your tree then I doubt you’d be asking for help here so perhaps it does belong to another relative. In any case, if you do have an Ancestry subscription then you need to look at that tree and see what is listed. Unlike many there are sources listed which you can check yourself.
From the online tree it looks as though Lula Nobles & William Pugh were never married to each other. William married 1903 to a Sara Jane Clevie Downing & had 7 children. According to tree- Lula married 1902 in Missouri and died 1905 in Alabama then appears in 1910 census (as black) and living in Georgia in 1918. Obviously errors that need to be checked!
See Find A Grave for Pugh family-
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/116032250

My cousin even made a trip to Pike Rd. in Alabama and spoke with Pugh's that still lived there and noone remembered him.
If he was illegitimate and not raised by father's family then it's possible later generations had never hear about him. Jack might be living with another family (related or not) and listed in census under their surname.