Author Topic: grandfather Jack Pugh before year 1918  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: grandfather Jack Pugh before year 1918
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 April 20 18:58 BST (UK) »
What I also find most strange is that 2 supposed cousins also ended up in the exact same place - Sour Lake - as Jack Pugh.   One has to wonder if he just considered them 'cousins' because they came from Alabama too and not because they actually were.

I also can't find him registered on the SS index.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette Pugh Casanova

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 April 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
I am attaching a copy of his SS application. Marshall & Joseph Pugh are my 3rd cousin 2 times removed. Their father John Wesley Pugh is 2nd cousin 3 times removed. His father Lewis Harrison Pugh is 4th great uncle. He is the son of Jesse Pugh my 4th great grandfather with DNA match. I do believe they are cousins. I feel my grandfather is tied into one of the sons from Jesse on down. I just can't find him. My grandfather and Joseph were born the same year is 1898 is correct so maybe grew up together. I would think he might have traveled from Alabama with them. I know I am overlooking something just can't find how to put it together. I am putting a copy of Jack Pugh's SS application in his gallery.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 April 20 21:13 BST (UK) »
The closest I have ever come to matching anything is the 1900 census for Alabama, Montgomery, Porters, district 0115. On top of page 2 is a Lula Nobles age 19. On the bottom of the same page there is a William L Pugh age 20. The parents were listed as  Will Pugh & Lula Nobles on his SS application. There isn't a baby listed with either family or any that I have come across with another Pugh or Nobles family. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 April 20 21:18 BST (UK) »
So, it the Ancestry tree I found yours? if not, have you tried contacting the owner to exchange research?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 April 20 21:25 BST (UK) »
It is probably mine. It is named Corrected Pugh Family Tree. I have contacted anyone that has listed Pugh's that I have seen. A few of the older Pugh's that have researched for years haven't ever had a Jack Pugh. More and more I believe his name wasn't Jack but haven't found any way to prove it. I have tried by birthdate and locations for Pugh. Because there doesn't seem to be a Jack listed in anything it seems like it isn't a true first name. I have tried John and Will also.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 April 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
So basically you've made up a tree  ???

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 April 20 22:25 BST (UK) »
How can you say I made up a tree. Why would I spend years on something like this. That is an insult. There is plenty of dna matches to show I am a Pugh and a male cousin that even took the Pugh dna test for males. So no it isn't made up. It is probably not 100 % accurate as it is a work in progress. I am a beginner and asked for help. I willingly gave the information I have come across in hopes of finding the information to make corrections where needed. It has been a labor of love. So sorry, if I have unknowingly done something wrong. I only wanted help not to be accused of anything.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 09 April 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
From what I saw of the tree there are lots of errors- for example (reply #8)
According to tree- Lula married 1902 in Missouri and died 1905 in Alabama then appears in 1910 census (as black) and living in Georgia in 1918. Obviously errors that need to be checked!

What I mean by making up your tree is that you have created a family tree (with sources even if they are not all accurate), posted here looking for information saying you had no information and later say "I feel my grandfather is tied into one of the sons from Jesse on down. I just can't find him."

Hopefully someone else will be willing to search for whatever it is you are looking for  :-\

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 April 20 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your posts. I will remove myself from this group. I am a beginner and will make mistakes even in how I report information. I was trying to explain my frustrations and guesses I have worked on. Yes, there are Blacks with the names of many in Alabama. Even Jack Pugh.