Author Topic: Sarah Gibson of Algarkirk  (Read 1148 times)

Offline AllanWC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Gibson of Algarkirk
« on: Wednesday 08 April 20 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
My 3rd Great Grandmother Sarah Gibson (or Gipson) always shows her place of birth in Census as Algarkirk but her date of birth moves from about 1805 to 1811.
She Marries David Harrod in Freiston in 1830 as Gibson but I cannot find anything prior to that date either about her or her parents.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction?
Many thanks
Allan

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Gibson of Algarkirk
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 April 20 03:44 BST (UK) »
There is a fabulous report of the wedding in The Standard, 24 June 1830, however it doesn't mention the bride's family.

"Last Thursday a young man, named David Harrard, was married at Freiston, and while the happy bride and groom were coming from church, a girl, who lives servant to Mr. Tinks, at the Bull Inn, and who fancied that she had more right to David than the other girl, proceded up stairs, with her master's gun, which was loaded, and, having taken her station at a chamber window, remained there, with the avowed intention of shooting the false Lothario on his return from church. Fortunately, however, the wedding party returned by a different route, or else the enraged girl might have accomplished her fatal purpose. - Boston Gazettte"

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 April 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
F M P has the entries for Algakirk - have you looked at the originals to see if anything has been mis-transcribed?
She may have believed she was from Algakirk, but actually moved there at a young age. Moulton and Pinchbeck are about the nearest showing from freereg.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
She Marries David Harrod in Freiston in 1830 as Gibson but I cannot find anything prior to that date either about her or her parents.

Have you the witness names to the marriage in case any are related?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 April 20 15:36 BST (UK) »

Have you the witness names to the marriage in case any are related?

Image is on Lincstothepast  :)
One witness is Wm Sharp who appears on some of the other marriages. Other witness John Harrd
https://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=523253&iid=242402
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanWC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 April 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
There is a fabulous report of the wedding in The Standard, 24 June 1830, however it doesn't mention the bride's family.

"Last Thursday a young man, named David Harrard, was married at Freiston, and while the happy bride and groom were coming from church, a girl, who lives servant to Mr. Tinks, at the Bull Inn, and who fancied that she had more right to David than the other girl, proceded up stairs, with her master's gun, which was loaded, and, having taken her station at a chamber window, remained there, with the avowed intention of shooting the false Lothario on his return from church. Fortunately, however, the wedding party returned by a different route, or else the enraged girl might have accomplished her fatal purpose. - Boston Gazettte"
Wow thanks for finding that :)

Offline Mateybass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 20 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
My 3rd Great Grandmother Sarah Gibson (or Gipson) always shows her place of birth in Census as Algarkirk but her date of birth moves from about 1805 to 1811.
Can anyone please point me in the right direction?
Many thanks
Allan

You're not the only one trying to find that information. Sarah and David are also my wife's 3x Great Grandparents. I love the newspaper story!

Offline AllanWC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Mateybass, I have sent you a personal message.  Allan

Offline Mateybass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Mateybass, I have sent you a personal message.  Allan

Hi Allan, it seems the forum won't let me send pms yet, prob because I haven't been registered for long. My wife is a descendent of Henry Gibson Harrad (Harrod) and Rebecca Hill.