Author Topic: Milk being poured away  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Milk being poured away
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 April 20 09:20 BST (UK) »

Is the law saying we are restricted to only going to our nearest shop for food.

No but the public are expected to use their common sense, if a local shop has many customers it is better to travel to a different shop where there is less possibility of close contact with others.

It is about being sensible to protect ourselves and in doing so protecting others.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 April 20 09:39 BST (UK) »

Other elderly neighbours drove 20 miles last week to do a "grab and go" collection at an organic farm shop, more for the ride out I think :o  Did that purchase mean the farm shop will stay in business or would it be considered non-essential travel, bearing in mind that there are 3 Co-op shops, Morrison's, Aldi and M&S Simply Food within 3 miles from home?

So Tillipeg's neighbours rather than just "going for the ride out" as was assumed, were acting sensibly in avoiding queuing with a lot of other people outside a supermarket and instead choosing to go to a shop where they could rapidly collect their (presumably pre-ordered) groceries, even though it was further from their home.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 April 20 09:43 BST (UK) »
Saw this police spokesman on BBC news this morning, but looks like they have now backed down on checking people's supermarket trolleys

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-52228475

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 April 20 10:19 BST (UK) »
I made myself a bowl of semolina for breakfast this morning to "do my bit" to consume more milk. Yes, daft and probably pointless, I know. I don't think I'll be making semolina for breakfast again though!
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 April 20 19:11 BST (UK) »
Saw this police spokesman on BBC news this morning, but looks like they have now backed down on checking people's supermarket trolleys

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-52228475

Yes Northamptonshire's Chief Constable Nick Adderley was exceeding his authority and if his officers checked a supermarket trolley they would be putting the people using that trolley at risk, this means they would be in breach of the coronavirus distancing rules and they would have to fine themselves and indeed arrest themselves if they refused to desist and carried on searching trolleys.

It should also be noted that as of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.
Part of the reason for this was to allow Covid-19 to be treated in ordinary hospitals, nursing homes and even in the persons home itself rather than the manditory transfer to an infectious disease hospital.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 April 20 20:03 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the source of milk can't be turned off but, due entirely to loss of its markets, the amount of milk being produced is no longer required.
It's a sad, but unavoidable, consequence of what is happening.
However, we must do our best to support our farmers and I would urge everyone to, where possible, to buy British (Welsh/Scottish/ N. Irish) produce.
 :)

Yes there has been some loss of market but that has also be made worse by some supermarkets artificially  reducing their sales of milk by cancelling (automatically due to a flaw in the computer controlled order system which has not been bypassed in Morrisons case) what was their normal order of 6 pint bottles of milk.

Cheers
Guy
Whilst the supermarket problem may have exacerbated the situation the loss of sections of the catering market and the entire hospitality market has been huge and, as I say, the source of milk cannot be switched off; unless, of course, the unacceptable is seen as a solution.
Support British farming - buy British produce.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
I'm drinking as much milk as I can! slurp, slop, slosh....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
I'm drinking as much milk as I can! slurp, slop, slosh....

I trust it's British milk!!.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 April 20 16:44 BST (UK) »
We've realised just how much milk we do consume and when it was in short supply, we really felt it.
We can't get eggs here and the empty shelf has a ration statement on it, but I'd have thought the hens are still laying ?
North East of England