Author Topic: Milk being poured away  (Read 1315 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Milk being poured away
« Reply #36 on: Monday 13 April 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
As I lived there, I was brought up on raw untreated milk! People today would be amazed we survived, but apart from the threat of unfortunate things like tuberculosis and brucellosis, we all did!
Let's hear it for the Milkmen of Britain!!
TY

We can buy raw milk straight from the farm, they also do the usual pasteurised full and skimmed milk. You can buy in plastic or re-useable re-fillable glass 2litre bottles.  They saw a gap in the market and went for it.  They also run a farm foods shop with fresh veg, fruit and meat bit more expensive but we’ve decided we won’t be buying these things from a supermarket any more.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 13 April 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
My previous attempt disappeared, so I'll try again!

I lived, as a child, in rural Cheshire, and my one delight was to go and help "Mr Wobinson".

I loved tasting the milk as it passed through the cooler prior to deposit in the churn, and the froth was even better. 

But when it was milking time I was ignored.  So one day I locked them in the shippon, and went home.  The only escape was for them to climb into the overhead loft and use the big door.

And then they ignored me when they were ploughing and sowing turnip seed, so I hid the bag down a rabbit hole, but then forgot which one.

Remedy:  put me on the back of the shire horse = Dobbin, so they knew where I was!!

I was told later that the cry of "wait for me Mr Wobinson, wait for me" was treated as a threat.  :o :o

I'm not very sure that I've changed that much  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby, - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 13 April 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
I made myself a bowl of semolina for breakfast this morning to "do my bit" to consume more milk. Yes, daft and probably pointless, I know. I don't think I'll be making semolina for breakfast again though!

What did you put with Trystan, semolina on its own is a bit bland, you need a good dollop of something sweet with it.  Strawberry jam is my preference.

Or you could spice it up - I like it with a hint of cinnammon.  (I don't recommend mint - I tried it once - urgh!)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk